List Mgmt. List planning 2015 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

A poster on the Freo board said we may go after Freo rookie Jacob Ballard if he doesn't re-sign with them.

The 21 year old (188cm, 89kg) is averaging 26 disposals for Peel Thunder in the WAFL, Yet to play an AFL game.

He may be a cheap replacement for Andrew Moore if we choose to trade/delist him.

Maybe we will get a chance to see him this weekend. If he isn't named in the side freo are likely to put out he probably isn't worth looking at.

I don't see why he would want to come to us though. We have a pretty good back log of mids he would have to push past to get a game.

Last edited:

Just seen the numbers that he has been around the top 5 or so in clangers in the afl over the years. Unless this numbers are wrong or misleading but just in terms of clanger numbers he is up there. As I said Though I'm not sure how many of those are from kicks out of a contest and kicks from in space. Sometimes the guys that play inside the contest have terrible clanger counts because they rush a lot of kicks out of contests , but ebo does shank a lot from when he has space and time.

At a guess I would say that high disposal efficiency comes from a lot of hand passes ? Although being accurate and clean by hand is a strong positive as we have seen with this port outfit. When we are clean by hand it ignites our run , when we are sloppy we tend to stagnate and lose games.

Pure disposal efficiency numbers are nearly useless, you need the more exotic stats. I.e. last year Boak's kicking efficiency was better than his over DE% because of some clanger handballs, but even then I think he was in the top 5 for inside 50s retained by a teammate which goes beyond kicking efficiency numbers.

I think Redden is a good user by hand and foot, but doesn't really have a huge hurt factor with his disposal. You're more getting an inside competitor who's probably a little more like Kane Cornes on the outside.

Maybe we will get a chance to see him this weekend. If he isn't named in the side freo are likely to put out he probably isn't worth looking at.

I don't see why he would want to come to us though. We have a pretty good back log of mids he would have to push past to get a game.

We may be offering a spot on the main list (which comes with more money) as opposed to being a 3rd year rookie at Fremantle.

Redden is a better player at the moment but I feel we need Menzel more than we need Redden.

I agree. The so called need for a "big bodied inside midfielder to help Wines" will be satisfied by the natural development of players like Ah Chee, Young and Moore. It won't come from the draft. A monster up forward and some nous around goals and another quick player on the outside as cover for Polec and White and we are plug and play.

I agree. The so called need for a "big bodied inside midfielder to help Wines" will be satisfied by the natural development of players like Ah Chee, Young and Moore. It won't come from the draft. A monster up forward and some nous around goals and another quick player on the outside as cover for Polec and White and we are plug and play.

Moore is unsigned , and probably off to vic this off season.

Ah chee's emergence has gone someway to filling the need for a big clearance player though.

I do agree outside talent would be a consideration , although I also think amon is going to develop into that role.

We need both a big contested markng key forward , and inside and fast line breaking mids.

I would really lean towards who ever presents as quality.

Courier mail says he's keen on west coast but port interested. Says redden and boaks mrs are close friends so have been talking.
The article, though, says he's keen on Wet Toast but Crows are interested. I can't see any mention of Port there. Oh apologies, different article. Anyway he did ok under Voss and we could possibly do a better deal than the Eagles do draft position wise so one thing in our favour.

Last edited:
Just seen the numbers that he has been around the top 5 or so in clangers in the afl over the years. Unless this numbers are wrong or misleading but just in terms of clanger numbers he is up there. As I said Though I'm not sure how many of those are from kicks out of a contest and kicks from in space. Sometimes the guys that play inside the contest have terrible clanger counts because they rush a lot of kicks out of contests , but ebo does shank a lot from when he has space and time.

At a guess I would say that high disposal efficiency comes from a lot of hand passes ? Although being accurate and clean by hand is a strong positive as we have seen with this port outfit. When we are clean by hand it ignites our run , when we are sloppy we tend to stagnate and lose games.

I think the clanger stat is incredibly misleading. You look at the leaders in clangers every year and most of them are walk up starts to the AA side.

Pure disposal efficiency numbers are nearly useless, you need the more exotic stats. I.e. last year Boak's kicking efficiency was better than his over DE% because of some clanger handballs, but even then I think he was in the top 5 for inside 50s retained by a teammate which goes beyond kicking efficiency numbers.

I think Redden is a good user by hand and foot, but doesn't really have a huge hurt factor with his disposal. You're more getting an inside competitor who's probably a little more like Kane Cornes on the outside.
We know that Ken has some pull as players seem to love playing under him. The Redden trade could see if Voss does too.

I'm not against trading early picks for either a talented young to medium aged key forward, or a young (20-22 year old) player who hasn't settled at the club that drafted him. Dixon obviously fits the first category, and someone like Nathan Freeman fits the second. I only mention Freeman because we were linked to him pre-draft and I still keep hearing whispers we've remained in contact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not against trading early picks for either a talented young to medium aged key forward, or a young (20-22 year old) player who hasn't settled at the club that drafted him. Dixon obviously fits the first category, and someone like Nathan Freeman fits the second. I only mention Freeman because we were linked to him pre-draft and I still keep hearing whispers we've remained in contact.

And he hasn't signed yet!

Id take a punt on Menzel first as a replacement for Monfries down the line.
Couldnt imagine him costing the world either.
If we can shuffle around Schulz, Moore, Shaw, could almost be enough to land him with the picks etc
Jessie Palmer to replace Monfries when the time is right pls. Kid will be a star.

Id take a punt on Menzel first as a replacement for Monfries down the line.
Couldnt imagine him costing the world either.
If we can shuffle around Schulz, Moore, Shaw, could almost be enough to land him with the picks etc
I'm not sure of the status of Menzel, and there's been a lot of his name floating around, but he isn't a punt. I've been ignoring it because there's zero chance we'll get him IMO. However Menzel is a gun and has the potential to be in the Stringer/Wingard category, so if he is available every club would be talking to him.

Rhys Mathieson
Geelong Falcons/Bell Park
10/01/1997
Height: 185cm
Weight: 79kg
Extremely tough and competitive medium midfielder who plays a physical brand of football. Possesses excellent game sense and football smarts while reading the ball very well in flight off the boot. A great extractor of the football out of tight situations using his clean hands to great effect. Is now a back-to-back Under-18 All-Australian. Averaged 20 disposals, five clearances and four inside 50s at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of NAB AFL Academy.
This description just excites me to the core. He's exactly what we need if we take pick 10 to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back