Autopsy Jack Redden Requests Trade

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm fine if jack leaves. Never been a big fan. I'd even be fine if it was a straight swap for Bell. At least he kicks goals and looks half interested.
Redden may be suffering withdrawal from Vossys departure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure he was a favourite. Can of cement if some of the reasons for him wanting out are true. Sick of recruiting pea hearts.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
In reality we can probably cover Redden with existing resources or trading in a comparable player.

However, no matter how we spin this, a long term player wanting out is the last thing we needed, especially when there is a strong suggestion that there is conflict with the coach.

The most worrying aspect is that it will have a knock on factor.

We just can't afford another GH5 type event, where the "exodus" appeared to not only gather momentum but take on a life of its own.

No matter how positive I try to be, I can't help but feeling very apprehensive about what might play out in the next few weeks. I'm hoping against hope that this is just a minor bleed and not turn into a full scale hemorrhage.:footy:

Last edited:

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was thinking something like this.

start with Pick 1 and 20 (as Suns have an end of first round pick nominated already)

Leuie out for end of first round compo. Redden traded for roughly Pick 15. Aish traded for roughly pick 20.

Leaves us with 1, 15, 20, 21, 22 (and our second rounder is pick 40, and 58 which both have matching points for compo).

Trade pick 15 and 20 to Carlton for Pick 10 and 41 (Pick 10 form Geelong for Henderson and their 3rd rounder). Carlton do that because they will need 5+ picks in the top 20 of this draft given the likely exodus of retirees/delistings and walk outs. (GWS might be an option for this sort of trade as they'll be looking to maximise academy matching points for their higher rated academy picks Kennedy and Hopper) in terms of points 15/20 for 10/41 is about 2000 for 1800.

We have Pick 1 and 10 to use 'freely' in the draft (hopefully Keays and Hipwood are bid on after 10!!). and we still have 21,22,40,41,58 to match for the Academy boys.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
McInness, Sinclair, Lycett, etc. and the ones that would be untouchable like McGovern and Darling. There would be a few but getting them to agree to join our club is an issue. Especially if we want to avoid overpaying our players.
Maybe a VERY slim chance they'd trade McInness or Lycett but don't recon there's a hope in hell that any of the others you mentioned would even be considered by WC.

Kent Brockman

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe a VERY slim chance they'd trade McInness or Lycett but don't recon there's a hope in hell that any of the others you mentioned would even be considered by WC.

Lycett plays best as a #1 ruckman, very similar to Stef. If we happened to lose Stef then my all means, we should go for him. If we don't though, I'm not sure how much value we would get out of him given the compensation that West Coast would no doubt demand from us.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Lycett plays best as a #1 ruckman, very similar to Stef. If we happened to lose Stef then my all means, we should go for him. If we don't though, I'm not sure how much value we would get out of him given the compensation that West Coast would no doubt demand from us.
Sounds about right and I don't think they'd do it for Redden only

Thedeftouch

Club Legend
May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Redden for Tom Bell would be a good trade for us... He's a big-bodied player who can kick or assist goals and (the opposite of Redden) he is an improving player.

Redden for Tom Bell would be a good trade for us... He's a big-bodied player who can kick or assist goals and (the opposite of Redden) he is an improving player.

It really wouldn't.

Nintendo Jones

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
To be fair, Bell is only 6 months younger than Redden, and hasn't done anything like as much across his career so far. Redden had a tough year with groin issues. I'm not against us getting Bell, but I think the value of Redden is substantially higher than that of Bell

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would he be guaranteed a long term future at the Hawks? Would have thought he would be quite expendable when they need to slowly bring the next generation through.

I'd take 2 years at a top 4 team rather than 4 years at a bottom 8 team. He could always back himself to find a new team after a couple of years at the Hawks.

With regards to the club playing it through the media and not waiting for the Trade Period.

The club will be asking the AFL for assistance prior to the start of Trade week, were better of letting everyone know what we are actually facing, instead of sweeping it under the rug, and revealing it after a decisions been made.

Wouldn't suprise me if the club have sounded players out about their intentions, that's why we've heard whispers of Martin, Zorko and now Redden.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm only worried because Rockliff is worried

Yeah, that's how I feel pretty much. The only thing in this whole saga that has me particularly nervous is that Rocky is now expressing doubts that he knows how the players feel.

I'm mostly just stumped as to why Rocky has been such a vocal cheerleader for Leppa and his best mate has such a different view of it.

The problem is WCE have some of the worst training facilities in the league as well and look at how they're going. Its all part of the problem but I'm not sure how high on the list training facilities are as a contributing factor for what we're seeing at the lions currently.

We definitely do have shocking facilities.. It sometimes even olds out

However we will have elite facilities in 2-3 years

On redden - from a Brisbane point of view if he leaves next year you'd likely get band 2 compo - so circa pick 19/20

That would be your minimum return of expect

Assuming we get the same for Selwood - I'm guess we will offer our second rounder, you guys will want out first rounder.

Both clubs will haggle for no good
Reason for 4 days and we will end up agreeing on the compo pick

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd take 2 years at a top 4 team rather than 4 years at a bottom 8 team. He could always back himself to find a new team after a couple of years at the Hawks.

He's won premierships now and had a reasonable run at a top 4 team. There's probably not a lot left to achieve at the Hawks. I take your point that's its a preferable working environment right now, but it seems plausible to me that a bigger, longer contract in your home state could be enough.

Can't really blame Redden.

I absolutely can. After all this talk that the club has to be loyal to players we're now seeing just how loyal players are to the club. Most on our list have spent the last few years being paid well over their market value (its impossible for them not to under the 95% salary cap rule) and now are being asked to do more to justify their cash or take a cut and we're seeing guys wanting to head off. You can't say this with draftees, they're paid the same no matter what but guys who coming into their third contracts we're going to see their true colours show over the next 2-3 years.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He's won premierships now and had a reasonable run at a top 4 team. There's probably not a lot left to achieve at the Hawks. I take your point that's its a preferable working environment right now, but it seems plausible to me that a bigger, longer contract in your home state could be enough.

I thought Suckling was from NSW.

Fitz Roy

Debutant
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I absolutely can. After all this talk that the club has to be loyal to players we're now seeing just how loyal players are to the club. Most on our list have spent the last few years being paid well over their market value (its impossible for them not to under the 95% salary cap rule) and now are being asked to do more to justify their cash or take a cut and we're seeing guys wanting to head off. You can't say this with draftees, they're paid the same no matter what but guys who coming into their third contracts we're going to see their true colours show over the next 2-3 years.

It's a respectable argument but how do you know this is cash motivated? I don't think Redden commands more cash elsewhere than the Lions, on current form. I think it's a combination of discontent with the current conditions at the club including personnel and a thirst for success. Redden showed his loyalty twice when out of contract and has seen the club stall on both occasions.

WCE1698

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
2nd round pick and McInnes seems like a fair trade
If Selwood leaves his compo pick would probably just about get the deal done to imo
Other fringe players like Rosa, Bennel, Colledge and possibly Mitch Brown might come into discussion as well.

neg99

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the key to Redden wanting to leave because of Leppitsch is actually in the article. It doesn't say there's a style or personality clash, just that redden doesn't feel like leppa rates him and doesn't see his footy improving under him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reddo's form since returning from that back injury earlier in the year has been good. Averaged 26 disposals, 6 clearances and 6.5 tackles since then and been on our of better players.
I think Redden is a good example of how stats can be deceptive. He rarely impacts the game, even with those possessions. I would compare him in this regard with Robinson who I think has surprised everyone with how impactful he has been with what I suspect might be similar or not substantially better stats.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the key to Redden wanting to leave because of Leppitsch is actually in the article. It doesn't say there's a style or personality clash, just that redden doesn't feel like leppa rates him and doesn't see his footy improving under him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which to my interpretation means that he's been told his next contract that will be less than what he thinks he's worth.

Back