Contract Signings - why the rush?

Remove this Banner Ad

My suspicion is that the club is sending a message to him...i.e. everyone else is on-board and have signed up, as they realise something special is coming....and therefore they're trying to subtly influence his decision. I can't see any logical reason why he'd want out when we're playing the best footy we've ever played, and there's a definite chance of a flag if not this year, then next. I just can't imagine he'd want to join Geelong when their best is behind them, and he'd have to start over, and even Collingwood (although promising) would be a backward step. I think Vader's wrong on this one!
I've also felt there is a degree of this. Some of the quotes in the releases seem quite pointed along the lines

These two posts are a little bit in conflict for me Vader ...

If we are assuming he is gone, and that we will match on RFA and force a trade - why wouldn't you want as many clubs as possible to be at the table?

If Danger is going, I couldn't care less who he goes to - I care about what we get in return.

Trade with Geelong and get a first round pick for next year + second round this year.
Trade with St Kilda and get early first round pick this year + first round for next year + a young player.
Trade with Collingwood and get first round pick this year + two good young players.

I know what I'd want.
From the perspective of Adelaide getting the best possible return, I agree that it's best if there are other parties at the table besides Geelong. No argument there.

However, from a more emotional perspective, I think there's a world of difference between the romance of a player returning home, and a player going to another club with which he has no history. I would have no problem accepting Danger's desire to play for Geelong, knowing that his family home is just down the Ocean Road a short distance. I would have a bigger problem if he went to a Victorian club other than Geelong. I would have a massive problem if he went to another non-Vic club (i.e. there is no "go home" factor at all).

Consider the Tiprat situation. Most people would have accepted seeing him get traded to Brisbane or Gold Coast. That would have been "going home" and we all accepted that that was his motivation. Then the scumbag decided to go to Sydney, a city with which he had no ties, and a club which refused point blank to trade fairly for the dog player. End result - I, and many other people, will always regard Tiprat as being pond scum and lower than a snake's belly.

I think until he signs for another team we will all holding out in hope to a degree - however, I think most people expect him to leave. It's a case of prepare for the worst and hope for the best I think!

Plenty of people around here are certain he is staying. They are probably the same type of people who think the world is flat.

From the perspective of Adelaide getting the best possible return, I agree that it's best if there are other parties at the table besides Geelong. No argument there.

However, from a more emotional perspective, I think there's a world of difference between the romance of a player returning home, and a player going to another club with which he has no history. I would have no problem accepting Danger's desire to play for Geelong, knowing that his family home is just down the Ocean Road a short distance. I would have a bigger problem if he went to a Victorian club other than Geelong. I would have a massive problem if he went to another non-Vic club (i.e. there is no "go home" factor at all).

Consider the Tiprat situation. Most people would have accepted seeing him get traded to Brisbane or Gold Coast. That would have been "going home" and we all accepted that that was his motivation. Then the scumbag decided to go to Sydney, a city with which he had no ties, and a club which refused point blank to trade fairly for the dog player. End result - I, and many other people, will always regard Tiprat as being pond scum and lower than a snake's belly.

Given the way Geelong FC and their supporters have behaved regarding Dangerfield, I couldn't think of anything better than him going to any other club. Honestly if Danger wen't to the Hawks, the resulting s**t storm would be hilarious. Ultimately if I'm going to have to eat this giant s**t sandwich, I want to at least be able to get a laugh out of it.

Last edited:

I hear you ... but let's say that Danger is going home for family reasons. Take that as a given.

Why should we care which club he goes too?

They seem separate issues to me. The reason he leaves / what we get for him.

As soon as he says he wants to leave for family reasons - we get the best deal we can. We send him "home" to Victoria and take everything we can to make us better.

I hear you ... but let's say that Danger is going home for family reasons. Take that as a given.

Why should we care which club he goes too?

They seem separate issues to me. The reason he leaves / what we get for him.

As soon as he says he wants to leave for family reasons - we get the best deal we can. We send him "home" to Victoria and take everything we can to make us better.
There's no rational reason why we should care, only emotional/sentimental ones.

Having had barely any contract signatures mid-season, we've now seen about 10-15 in the last month. Those reported to have signed include Talia, Thompson, Hartigan, Lynch, Jacobs, Cameron, Knight, O'Brien & Lever - and that's just since 13th August.

Why the sudden rush? OK, I know that half our list was out of contract this year, but that's not a reason for having virtually no early signings, with everyone signing on within the space of a month. OK, Justin Reid is new to the list management job and probably took a bit of time to find his feet. But I suspect there may be a darker and more unpleasant reason behind this.

My gut feel is that Dangerfield has made his decision and informed the club at the start of the month. I think he's decided to leave. This gave Reid the certainty he needed in order to get all of the other deals done.

Looking at the list of players who are still uncontracted, there are 3 names who stand out. Dangerfield, Matt Crouch and Atkins. I think the club are working feverishly, trying to get Crouch & Atkins signed up (just as they did with Lynch, Thompson & Hartigan this week). That leaves Dangerfield and the expendables...
My 2 cents on this. If it were indeed true that they had a decision from Danger which prompted these signings.....then the players themselves would know about it. They would definitely be asking what the hold up was because many would be keen to get ink to paper. Then if the players knew....it would leak. It is just how it rolls when too many people know the truth.

I suspect the increase of signings has been more to do with the new TV rights and expected salary cap changes. The club would have been waiting to see how much flexibility they have. It would also be in the player managers best interest to tell the players to hold off until later too to ensure they get the best possible deal.

You could be correct, but....I am not sold.

There's no rational reason why we should care, only emotional/sentimental ones.
Spock.jpg

Maybe Worsfold has indicated he would like continue either as Coach or Director of Coaching with Campo as Coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 2 cents on this. If it were indeed true that they had a decision from Danger which prompted these signings.....then the players themselves would know about it. They would definitely be asking what the hold up was because many would be keen to get ink to paper. Then if the players knew....it would leak. It is just how it rolls when too many people know the truth.

I suspect the increase of signings has been more to do with the new TV rights and expected salary cap changes. The club would have been waiting to see how much flexibility they have. It would also be in the player managers best interest to tell the players to hold off until later too to ensure they get the best possible deal.

You could be correct, but....I am not sold.
Hadn't considered the TV contract factor. Fair call.

Plenty of people around here are certain he is staying. They are probably the same type of people who think the world is flat.
Alternatively, they have come to a different conclusion based on exactly the same set of facts, and neither they nor you are right or wrong until Danger has informed the club. Have your opinion but don't condescend just because some are a little more glass half full.

At this point it's the easiest thing in the world to say 'he's gone', because that's what everyone everywhere is reporting due to limited facts. Posts like yours only serve one purpose, and that's to foreshadow an "I told you so" after the most likely outcome plays out.

Alternatively, they have come to a different conclusion based on exactly the same set of facts, and neither they nor you are right or wrong until Danger has informed the club. Have your opinion but don't condescend just because some are a little more glass half full.

At this point it's the easiest thing in the world to say 'he's gone', because that's what everyone everywhere is reporting due to limited facts. Posts like yours only serve one purpose, and that's to foreshadow an "I told you so" after the most likely outcome plays out.

I couldn't give two shits about "I told you so's".

Danger wont go to Geelong. He is after success and that is far more likely with us.

Danger hasn't mentioned success since the start of the year. Now it's all about family.

If he were going to stay, then I think the deal would have been done by now. At the very least we would have heard that they were working on it, as we did with Sloane & Lynch. The lack of anything indicating a deal being done is a strong indicator to me that no deal is being done - because he's leaving.

I think the club gave him a deadline. Might have been the end of July. No positive indication by that time and they would proceed on the assumption that he was leaving.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong but wasn't the extent of the the 'we're working on it' re: Lynch the same we've heard about Dangerfield? Roo etc. saying 'he's a required player, don't expect him to go anywhere, confident' etc? Could be I missed something being in Victoria though.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong but wasn't the extent of the the 'we're working on it' re: Lynch the same we've heard about Dangerfield? Roo etc. saying 'he's a required player, don't expect him to go anywhere, confident' etc? Could be I missed something being in Victoria though.
No, there were numerous reports in the last week or two, stating that the biggest issue remaining was the duration of the contract. When it comes to Dangerfield, we haven't heard anything other than that the club would like him to stay - nothing about actually negotiating a contract.

Then what other possible reason could you have for implying that anyone who thinks he'll stay is an idiot? I don't knock you for your opinion, but I do take exception to know-it-all posting.

Where did I call anybody an idiot? I just think some people have a severe case of denial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back