80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Is there anything more annoying than rocking up to a course and the greens have been cored.
Sandy bloody holes as far as the eye can see

Did they tell you before you paid? That's the thing I don't like.

Saw it on practice green
Adked pro if whole course was cored
Yep
No golf for us
To the bar

Guess the saving grace was that you didn't find out about it once you were out on the course.

If the pro doesn't mention it and you only find out once you get out on the course, do you suppose most clubs will give you a refund?

Guess the saving grace was that you didn't find out about it once you were out on the course.

If the pro doesn't mention it and you only find out once you get out on the course, do you suppose most clubs will give you a refund?

I'd demand one.
Would be seriously poor form.

A decent club would just charge a 9 hole rate for the 18

04 Durif

All Australian
Jun 6, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Carlton
Did myself 18 points for 9 the other day. First round I'd played to handicap for a while so was pretty happy with it. One of the best things I've done is put away the wedges from within 40-50 metres unless I have to hit over something. I just use my 7 iron and run it up. Am finding this much more consistent. Now just need to straighten up my driver. Have developed a hook that's killing me. When it works I'm getting it 230-240 no worries. Is quite frustrating as it's the only time I hook otherwise I tend to have a not to bad slice. F*cking golf eh!!!

04 Durif

All Australian
Jun 6, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Carlton
Amazing day

Shot 71...1 under off the stones around black bull today

Still high 5ing myself
I had 63 off the front 9! Lost over 10 balls and was having my 5th shot off the tee on 3 holes. I still enjoyed myself though
46 off the back 9 was a bit better. This was about a month ago. Had another 18 points for 9 today. Took that with two wipes

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Had a round at whaleback again yesterday. Shot under 100 for the second time in a row and shot my lowest score ever (97) was feeling really good and only missed 3 fairways but just can't get much distance off of my tee shots. Course was in great condition but the front nine was super busy and ended up taking 2 1/2 hours to get through, whereas the back nine I only saw one other group so that was a good way to finish the round. :thumbsu::D

Had a round at whaleback again yesterday. Shot under 100 for the second time in a row and shot my lowest score ever (97) was feeling really good and only missed 3 fairways but just can't get much distance off of my tee shots. Course was in great condition but the front nine was super busy and ended up taking 2 1/2 hours to get through, whereas the back nine I only saw one other group so that was a good way to finish the round. :thumbsu::D

great stuff mate. did ya place for the comp?

last wednesday participated in Par comp on the Old Course National. my nemesis course and a tough scoring method.

gentle breeze (for national standards), and generous tail wind (slight) on hole 1. drove the ball to the valley just to the side of the front of the green. lob up, 1 putt. birdie. strut.

hole 2. drove ball into the tee trees. provvy ball better. found first ball (yay). chipped out but wiped the hole. at least found the ball! that was my only wipe on the front 9.

after 9 was +5. yay yay yay.

basically had a lot of things go my way (and a few missed putts of course). signature par 7 over the gorge all of us (3 in the group) landed nicely within a few metres. of course 2 putted. lol.

and the par 3 4th over water (below), playing off the blacks basically. 5 wood that landed like a butterfly. what?? pared for a +.

Old4.jpg

finally my face hole on the course, par 4 14th. there are pine trees both sides some 100m out. tee shot right of the middle bunker. adequate. 3 wood in, fk it i thought give it a shot. pulled it but the ball faded slightly and went between branches of a pine tree. saywat????? ball bumped and grined and rolled onto the green. on in 2 bitches!! come at me!! 3 putted lol.

Old14.jpg

3 wipes hurt my back 9 (no pun), but managed to fight and end up all square at 9s end, for +5 overall. 41 pts stableford converted and won the comp by a few.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
last wednesday participated in Par comp on the Old Course National. my nemesis course and a tough scoring method.

gentle breeze (for national standards), and generous tail wind (slight) on hole 1. drove the ball to the valley just to the side of the front of the green. lob up, 1 putt. birdie. strut.

hole 2. drove ball into the tee trees. provvy ball better. found first ball (yay). chipped out but wiped the hole. at least found the ball! that was my only wipe on the front 9.

after 9 was +5. yay yay yay.

basically had a lot of things go my way (and a few missed putts of course). signature par 7 over the gorge all of us (3 in the group) landed nicely within a few metres. of course 2 putted. lol.

and the par 3 4th over water (below), playing off the blacks basically. 5 wood that landed like a butterfly. what?? pared for a +.

Old4.jpg

finally my face hole on the course, par 4 14th. there are pine trees both sides some 100m out. tee shot right of the middle bunker. adequate. 3 wood in, fk it i thought give it a shot. pulled it but the ball faded slightly and went between branches of a pine tree. saywat????? ball bumped and grined and rolled onto the green. on in 2 bitches!! come at me!! 3 putted lol.

Old14.jpg

3 wipes hurt my back 9 (no pun), but managed to fight and end up all square at 9s end, for +5 overall. 41 pts stableford converted and won the comp by a few.
Wow that is beautiful. This was my top moment from yesterday on the 'famous' par 3 13th, normally put it over the back or short into the water but nailed it to within a few metres of the pin :thumbsu: then two putted for par but just stoked to have hit a good tee shot on that hole finally.

Started playing semi-regularly a few months ago & am loving it. Not playing in comps or anything, just mucking around with mates and having the odd round in between work shifts.

Somewhat regularly shooting between 95-100. Had major problems with the driver but have slowed the swing right down and found that it works really nicely to abate the slice. I don't tend to hook much, but my slice is disgusting when it gets going.

Na wasn't a comp just went for a round by myself. Never actually played in a comp before to be honest wouldn't mind giving it a go one day maybe if i start playing more regularly :D

i reckon you'll do well in comps mate. it really helps you get better, as there's a definitive goal per hole. you'll have shocking days, but it makes you stronger and you learn a shitload not only about golf, but about life as well.

you're already hitting a few scores sub 100! ive done it once (stableford converted to stroke) in my life. give it a go mate!!

Wow that is beautiful. This was my top moment from yesterday on the 'famous' par 3 13th, normally put it over the back or short into the water but nailed it to within a few metres of the pin :thumbsu: then two putted for par but just stoked to have hit a good tee shot on that hole finally.

top job!

wait, is that Grug in the background?

Started playing semi-regularly a few months ago & am loving it. Not playing in comps or anything, just mucking around with mates and having the odd round in between work shifts.

Somewhat regularly shooting between 95-100. Had major problems with the driver but have slowed the swing right down and found that it works really nicely to abate the slice. I don't tend to hook much, but my slice is disgusting when it gets going.

Its funny. For me I can be smoking them but then I'll hit one slice and its all over. Won't hit another straight drive all day.

Its funny. For me I can be smoking them but then I'll hit one slice and its all over. Won't hit another straight drive all day.

I find I start slicing when I'm trying to smack the * out of the stupid thing or I'm swinging too fast.

If I slow the backswing right down and speed up through the downswing, I generally make good contact and it goes somewhat straight.

Since I've started trying actively to swing slower, I've noticed that I'm generally driving straighter, I'm not losing as many balls, and I'm not sacrificing as much distance as I would be crashing into trees and s**t on the sides of the fairway.

But you're right, one bad tee shot & the confidence goes out the window. May as well use a cricket bat off the tee.

peternorth I'm super jelly. Course looks amazing, especially that par 3. Picturesque.

its the course that every guest wants to play. hilly as all get out. this is what the website says about that par 3

The stunning topography enhanced by magnificent coastline views makes this The National’s signature hole. Club selection is critical as whilst the huge green is particularly wide, anything hit short, long or left of the green is best forgotten. The deep bunker at the rear should be avoided and a shot to the wrong side of the spine dividing the green will prompt many a three putt. With the prevailing wind into the line of play, a quieter swing with an “extra club” is recommended.

oh yeah, it was warm that day, 27 i reckon. and we had 3 groups of elderly lads from royal adelaide in front of us. they let us through. half of them were walking. wouldnt be surprised if there were fatalities. seriously, not good to walk the course especially given they dont know where to walk between holes at times.

anyway, good golfing everyone!

I find I start slicing when I'm trying to smack the **** out of the stupid thing or I'm swinging too fast.

If I slow the backswing right down and speed up through the downswing, I generally make good contact and it goes somewhat straight.

Since I've started trying actively to swing slower, I've noticed that I'm generally driving straighter, I'm not losing as many balls, and I'm not sacrificing as much distance as I would be crashing into trees and s**t on the sides of the fairway.

But you're right, one bad tee shot & the confidence goes out the window. May as well use a cricket bat off the tee.

Driver is definitely my weak point and is what adds countless shots onto my rounds. I don't necessarily try to swing too hard, I just practice it no where near enough...or as much as I do my irons.

I had a 30min lesson on it ~10 months ago and the pro corrected it within 5 minutes. I think I've regressed back, so time for another lesson me thinks.

Back