List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we can land Bennell (absolute gun and perfect fit for what we need/possibly lack) without sacrificing a key player we are going to be seriously hard to beat next year! 2 1st round picks which includes a future pick (2016 - strong draft) should hopefully get it done (hopefully giving away Hallahan for virtually nothing last year was a sweetener). A lot depends on how much damage Harley has done off the field because you wouldn't trade a young prodigious talent like Bennell under any other circumstances.

Levi_Hawk

Team Captain
Feb 26, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I heard a few things today.
Apparently David Hale won't be at the club next year. Not sure whether this is by retirement/delisting or trade.
I was told we aren't actually into Harley Bennell but are still very interested in O'Meara.
Last one was that Dangerfield is definitely leaving Adelaide (surprise surprise) and while still highly likely to go to Geelong he is having 2nd thoughts. What I was told is that as recently as a month ago he was 100% off to Geelong but now he is 80/20 and we are the 20. Whilst I know this info will all probably prove to be incorrect I still thought it worthy of posting.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last one was that Dangerfield is definitely leaving Adelaide (surprise surprise) and while still highly likely to go to Geelong he is having 2nd thoughts. What I was told is that as recently as a month ago he was 100% off to Geelong but now he is 80/20 and we are the 20.

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apparently David Hale won't be at the club next year. Not sure whether this is by retirement/delisting or trade.
I was told we aren't actually into Harley Bennell but are still very interested in O'Meara.
Last one was that Dangerfield is definitely leaving Adelaide (surprise surprise) and while still highly likely to go to Geelong he is having 2nd thoughts. What I was told is that as recently as a month ago he was 100% off to Geelong but now he is 80/20 and we are the 20. Whilst I know this info will all probably prove to be incorrect I still thought it worthy of posting.
Any mention of Howe?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes and hopefully it will eventually bring that club to its knees considering the way in which the move was brokered. Wishful thinking maybe..

Buddy's body is really starting to pack it in.. The swans have put more weight on him, he looks at least 5kg heavier than when he was with us and surprise surprise he is having back issues. Buddy used to be a dynamic and roaming CHF who was just as good on the ground as any small, now he's a monster stay at home key forward with a banged up body.

MJA33

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Buddy's body is really starting to pack it in.. The swans have put more weight on him, he looks at least 5kg heavier than when he was with us and surprise surprise he is having back issues. Buddy used to be a dynamic and roaming CHF who was just as good on the ground as any small, now he's a monster stay at home key forward with a banged up body.

With 7 years left on his contract hahaha makes me laugh the swans are heading downhill fast and it's beautiful to watch

It's funny watching them make all the same mistakes we did. Using him too much as an option, putting extra weight on him. By the time they work out how to utilise him properly he'll be well over 30.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for passing it on!

Just on JOM, why would GC even entertain the thought of trading him? He looks like he has the game to be a top 2-3 player in the league. If its because his patella tendon snapped, then why would we want him if hes damaged goods?

Id maybe understand it because hes only 20-odd and still hopefully has another 12 or so years left. But if that was the case why would GC be happy to get rid of him.

Future captain, decent bloke by the sounds of it, has all the marketing draw power.

Is probably the absolute perfect bloke for us to bring in (injury-free Brad Crouch maybe the other) - young enough that hes nowhere near his peak, consistently good enough already so that we can already see that hes got a huge ceiling. Super fast, super skilled, kicks goals, wins it on the inside and damaging when he gets in on the outside. Much prefer him than Danger tbh IF hes fully fit.

Am i missing something though?

Last edited:

Good call

We beefed him up in 2009 if you recall, and admittedly it was an error by the coaching staff.

The swans poaching buddy was a brilliant move, however the length of the contract was outrageous.

KOLOKOTRONIS

With 7 years left on his contract hahaha makes me laugh the swans are heading downhill fast and it's beautiful to watch

Was always going to happen, and his price tag means the swines have years of salary cap issues ahead of them. As a marketing ploy, Buddy was probably worth it as they desperately need that marketability up in Sydney. In terms of competing for flags, they've just shot themselves in the foot. Might be good for the AFL in general if it can draw the Sydney populace away from that rugby crap to a proper football code, but judging from their mentality from liking rugby in the first place, I'm not sure they're intelligent enough to understand our game. Back to watching men sticking their heads up other guy's bums for them then.

Main Man

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Old Ivanhoe!

Have heard similar things myself, although have heard we are very much into Bennell and that your underselling our chances with Danger.

How true this information is I do not know.

Have heard similar things myself, although have heard we are very much into Bennell and that your underselling our chances with Danger.

How true this information is I do not know.

So if we're a 20% chance of getting danger, that means we have a quantum 1/5 of danger?

Thanks for passing it on!

Just on JOM, why would GC even entertain the thought of trading him? He looks like he has the game to be a top 2-3 player in the league. If its because his patella tendon snapped, then why would we want him if hes damaged goods?

Id maybe understand it because hes only 20-odd and still hopefully has another 12 or so years left. But if that was the case why would GC be happy to get rid of him.

Future captain, decent bloke by the sounds of it, has all the marketing draw power.

Is probably the absolute perfect bloke for us to bring in (injury-free Brad Crouch maybe the other) - young enough that hes nowhere near his peak, consistently good enough already so that we can already see that hes got a huge ceiling. Super fast, super skilled, kicks goals, wins it on the inside and damaging when he gets in on the outside. Much prefer him than Danger tbh IF hes fully fit.

Am i missing something though?
If a player wants out they tend to get out. There's no point forcing a player to stay because that only leads to a negative atmosphere for the rest of the club. Something a young club can't afford is players bringing down the mood and taking a big bite of the cap. If he wants out they best trade him now while he's in contract and the effects of his injury are unknown.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

$750k for 4 years vs $900k for 4 years. What does the extra money actually provide?

Lake took a huge pay cut because he wanted flags. Does anyone think he regrets that decision for even a microsecond?

If Danger just wants the $$$ then we would be better off wifthout him. There will always be players who want success, even if it costs them some coin.

I also suspect that Buddy's "beefiness" may also be Buddy himself letting things go, not just a club plan.

Buddy's not the smartest and he may be enjoying life too much!

I wish we could be more objective as a board , why we continually view ourselves as THE club to come to to achive success bewilders me , without going to deeply in to it I can garentee you next year WILL BE a transition year .

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wish we could be more objective as a board , why we continually view ourselves as THE club to come to to achive success bewilders me , without going to deeply in to it I can garentee you next year WILL BE a transition year .

Yeah this could be the year we do nothing.

It is fun to speculate. There are a number of clubs that are putting their hands up, Saints, Western Bulldogs, Tigers, Adelaide and WC are all reasonably attractive destinations at the moment.

I have realistic expectations but the club has a good recent track history in the off season, so posters can afford to be a bit confident. Not much more to it than that imo. The club could very well miss out this time around but it would not be for lack of trying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back