WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

The WACA board member I'm mates with told me that the Ashes and possibly India were set to be moved to the new stadium a few months back, and I always pegged Lillee as someone who wanted to keep all tests at the WACA. Probably resigned over that.

The WACA board member I'm mates with told me that the Ashes and possibly India were set to be moved to the new stadium a few months back, and I always pegged Lillee as someone who wanted to keep all tests at the WACA. Probably resigned over that.
I bet ya DK could always get a seat, in the shade, near an indoor bar and a quality bathroom, be it Ashes, Scorchers, or Shield though...

Barnett stealing the WACA's thunder, confirming that 'high attendance' matches will move to the new stadium and local football will return to the WACA.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...2/what-made-dennis-lillee-walk-from-the-waca/

Dennis Lillee was part of a WACA board clique that wanted the ground to continue to host all major matches and quit on the eve of an announcement that limited overs cricket would be moved to the new Burswood stadium.
While the WACA’s future development strategy committee will today reveal how much cricket will be played at the new stadium, Premier Colin Barnett yesterday revealed high-attendance matches would be played at Burswood when it opened in 2018.
Mr Barnett confirmed the divisions within the WACA while also revealing football would return to the WACA Ground after an 18-year absence.

“I’m aware there have been some divisions and two camps in the WA Cricket Association,” Mr Barnett said.

“From a government point of view we’re not going to get involved in that.

“But high-attendance cricket matches will be played at the new stadium and the WA government is very keen that cricket and local football come together and share the WACA Ground.”​

After being involved in the financial side of the game here in WA all that I can say is that the financial model of cricket is totally broken in this state. I'm gutted to see the WACA ground in such a state, but I'm even more furious at the way in which the government have handled its future and the tunnel vision towards the matter.

We're going to go from having our very best test matches played on the best cricket deck in the world, to instead being played on another boring drop in pitch at a soulless 60k stadium that will only draw 15,000 past day 3.

After being involved in the financial side of the game here in WA all that I can say is that the financial model of cricket is totally broken in this state. I'm gutted to see the WACA ground in such a state, but I'm even more furious at the way in which the government have handled its future and the tunnel vision towards the matter.

We're going to go from having our very best test matches played on the best cricket deck in the world, to instead being played on another boring drop in pitch at a soulless 60k stadium that will only draw 15,000 past day 3.
Tunnelvision re: just concentrating on Burswood? I think that was necessary. I remember being a kid and them talking about superseding Subi with Cockburn or Kitchener Park or adding on more seats... The government needed that one-eyed, "nah, this is the way it is" mentality or else we'd be stuck with a should-be-derelict Subi and I can guarantee the WACA would be in the same state.

Barney's been pretty aloof and a bit of a lone wolf on his vision for the WACA, but I reckon it's a good outcome. A majority of premiers and governments would probably write the whole ground off. The fact he's so cocksure about it remaining a home for the WACA, cricket games, WAFL matches, and I think the WAFC is a big positive.

By 2020, hopefully we have a resolution and the WACA has been downgraded to modern and boutique, or it's in the process. Ending up with that, Perth Stadium, NIB, and Perth Arena sets a really modern and positive spin on the joint. You could probably argue that it'd be in better shape than Melbourne – their premiere concert and indoor sports venue, Rod Laver, is stuck in the 1980s. It's nothing on Perth Arena.

It's a problem that isn't going away - the WACA has what I consider the greatest pitch in all of world cricket.

But the stadium that surrounds the ground is ... well it's horrible. It's horrible in almost every possible detail. Every visiting journo seems to write about the WACA as being an ordeal. One memorable comment that I feel I can't argue with is the description of the Inverarity stand as looking intended to host prison football matches with an interior designed to survive a riot.

It's a very depressing state of affairs.
This. While the pitch is good it's an absolute shocking ground for the spectators.

Tunnelvision re: just concentrating on Burswood? I think that was necessary. I remember being a kid and them talking about superseding Subi with Cockburn or Kitchener Park or adding on more seats... The government needed that one-eyed, "nah, this is the way it is" mentality or else we'd be stuck with a should-be-derelict Subi and I can guarantee the WACA would be in the same state.

Barney's been pretty aloof and a bit of a lone wolf on his vision for the WACA, but I reckon it's a good outcome. A majority of premiers and governments would probably write the whole ground off. The fact he's so cocksure about it remaining a home for the WACA, cricket games, WAFL matches, and I think the WAFC is a big positive.

By 2020, hopefully we have a resolution and the WACA has been downgraded to modern and boutique, or it's in the process. Ending up with that, Perth Stadium, NIB, and Perth Arena sets a really modern and positive spin on the joint. You could probably argue that it'd be in better shape than Melbourne – their premiere concert and indoor sports venue, Rod Laver, is stuck in the 1980s. It's nothing on Perth Arena.

Tunnel vision in the sense of only focussing on one 60,000 seat mult-purpose venue. Multi-purpose venues really aren't that great when it come to the financial side of things and cricket in this state would be better served by playing all of its games at a 30,000 seat ground that they completely own (999 year lease).

The tourism $$ from high-end international business types would be worth a hell of a lot more if played at a re-vamped WACA ground in the sense of intimacy of a smaller capacity etc, and I really think that's the main point to my point of it being "tunnel visioned". Unfortunately Barnett doesn't seem to have much of an idea of the intricacies of sport, but just seems to think that they'll be fine if they all just play in the one spot

Vision2030 released, yep, recommendation was to move all Test Matches and Limited Overs matches involving England, India, or South Africa to Burswood.

$200m redevelopment of WACA to a "boutique" ground that retains everything else bar the BBL matches. Seems to involve installing a metric *ton of shadecloth but I'm still reading that part.

Vision2030 released, yep, recommendation was to move all Test Matches and Limited Overs matches involving England, India, or South Africa to Burswood.

$200m redevelopment of WACA to a "boutique" ground that retains everything else bar the BBL matches. Seems to involve installing a metric ****ton of shadecloth but I'm still reading that part.
The renders still include the Inverarity and prindiville stand with all the admin and training facilities being separate to the stands. Would make more sense if these facilities were incorporated in to the grandstand, rather than simply tacked on like an afterthought, but I guess the WACA really is king when it comes to tacking things on like this.

Fascinated that they're talking about Perth Arena and, to a lesser extent, the nib stadium redevelopment, as contributing to the problems of the WACA Ground by highlighting just how bad the amenities at the WACA are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do get a bit of heartache at the thought the Ashes won't be at the WACA

Think of yourself sitting in the shade, not waiting 20 minutes to order a drink nor 5 minutes to piss it into a portaloo and you'll feel much better.

Tickets to the final Ashes Test in 2017 will be a hot item.

I do get a bit of heartache at the thought the Ashes won't be at the WACA

Think of yourself sitting in the shade, not waiting 20 minutes to order a drink nor 5 minutes to piss it into a portaloo and you'll feel much better.

Tickets to the final Ashes Test in 2017 will be a hot item.
And think of the fact that 45,000 will go to day one and the weekend of the 2021 or whenever-it-is Ashes.

"All international cricket matches involving England, South Africa and India would be played at the new Perth Stadium, under a plan put forward by the Western Australian Cricket Association (WACA)."

Beginning of the end :thumbsu:

I'm sure you'll find more sympathy for your money-hungry view of sport elsewhere.

And think of the fact that 45,000 will go to day one and the weekend of the 2021 or whenever-it-is Ashes.

And 13,000 on the third, giving a dead atmosphere in a concrete bowl.

Barnett stealing the WACA's thunder, confirming that 'high attendance' matches will move to the new stadium and local football will return to the WACA.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...2/what-made-dennis-lillee-walk-from-the-waca/

Dennis Lillee was part of a WACA board clique that wanted the ground to continue to host all major matches and quit on the eve of an announcement that limited overs cricket would be moved to the new Burswood stadium.
While the WACA’s future development strategy committee will today reveal how much cricket will be played at the new stadium, Premier Colin Barnett yesterday revealed high-attendance matches would be played at Burswood when it opened in 2018.
Mr Barnett confirmed the divisions within the WACA while also revealing football would return to the WACA Ground after an 18-year absence.

“I’m aware there have been some divisions and two camps in the WA Cricket Association,” Mr Barnett said.

“From a government point of view we’re not going to get involved in that.

“But high-attendance cricket matches will be played at the new stadium and the WA government is very keen that cricket and local football come together and share the WACA Ground.”​

The Government needs usage at the new stadium, 22 x AFL games cant carry it.

Fantastic to see that the WACA have finally seen sense.

Once you go to the new stadium you will never want to go back to the WACA, where the facilities are terrible.

Its the same in Adelaide with Adelaide Oval and Football Park. I went to Football Park for the NAB Challenge game at the start of the year and couldn't believe that was what we used to put up with each week.

Fantastic to see that the WACA have finally seen sense.

Once you go to the new stadium you will never want to go back to the WACA, where the facilities are terrible.

Its the same in Adelaide with Adelaide Oval and Football Park. I went to Football Park for the NAB Challenge game at the start of the year and couldn't believe that was what we used to put up with each week.

Some of us thinking boring drop ins make for s**t cricket - though I suppose there wasn't really a change in Adelaide

Get the wicket right and I'll be happy

If thinking a day at the cricket shouldn't be an ordeal is money-hungry, then you you have a stuffed up definition of money-hungry.

Or, you know, we could redevlop the WACA and keep cricket there, so that spectators have a good time watching a contest on a real pitch with a quality atmosphere in a ground that isn't half empty at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back