Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

He was on the news tonight. Stopped in the car park after training by a reporter. Said he's still got one year to go and and was happy when he extended his contract last year. He said he's happy to stay at Carlton and wants to, if we still want him.
Wasn't overly convincing but he didn't say he wanted out....... Yet.
If his attitude doesn't improve I hope we trade him. He wasn't adamant he loved the club and he seemed half hearted with all he was saying. If that doesn't improve then neither will his on field attitude.

He was on the news tonight. Stopped in the car park after training by a reporter. Said he's still got one year to go and and was happy when he extended his contract last year. He said he's happy to stay at Carlton and wants to, if we still want him.
Wasn't overly convincing but he didn't say he wanted out....... Yet.
If his attitude doesn't improve I hope we trade him. He wasn't adamant he loved the club and he seemed half hearted with all he was saying. If that doesn't improve then neither will his on field attitude.
Hopefully that means we get more for him as he is not desperate to leave.

Hope he stays as he is a Best 22 player. Has a role as our small forward or running the arcs on a wing.

If he goes we should demand a late first rounder and a young fringe player (i.e.. Lennon, Lever, etc.) so we get equivalent to a pick #6.

"I'm contracted for next year so we've just got to wait and see," Yarran toldChannel Nine on Wednesday.

"I'd like to (stay). Obviously, I committed last year for two years.

"I'm happy at the club so, if they want me around, then I'll be more than happy (to)."

Chris is a wonderful player. Lets not forget how good he is. In my opinion he is worth the effort to turn around. MM did it last year. I dont buy this whole "needing a new environment" BS. This guy has got some off field issues that should fade with time. What he needs is time and support. If we give him that he could be our best recruit for 2016. If he is surrounded with a better team structure , and I think he definitely will be, he has the ability to be the top 50 AFL player that he used to be. Of course IF there is a great trade offer then of course you would look at it. But to be trying to get rid of him at all costs is just plain dumb. If that is the SOS strategy (i dont think it is) then I would be worried about SOS. He is a unique player and his best is irreplaceable.

Hopefully that means we get more for him as he is not desperate to leave.

Hope he stays as he is a Best 22 player. Has a role as our small forward or running the arcs on a wing.

If he goes we should demand a late first rounder and a young fringe player (i.e.. Lennon, Lever, etc.) so we get equivalent to a pick #6.

So effectively you'd want two first round picks? The same as what has been speculated we'd have to give up to get Treolar, a player that has none of Yarran's extensively noted negatives? Well good luck with that.

For what it's worth I hope Yarran stays with Carlton. The estimation of what Carlton and Richmond supporters believe that he is worth seem to be poles apart. There is a good chance that if a trade happened one group of supporters are going to end up mighty unhappy. And although I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be us, I'd rather not risk it. Plus he is at his lowest value now (I'm assuming he can't get lower) and you do have a new coach. Now would be a crazy time to trade him if you don't have to.

Oh and for the record Lennon is no 'fringe' player, he was last weeks rising star nomination and was a number 12 draft pick, his star is in steep ascendancy. So sorry you got no chance there. And frankly most of our real fringe players you rightly wouldn't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

It was relative Aph as the player being traded to you doesn't have to be a direct replacement for Yarran given you have other positions to fill. Astbury for Yarran to fill the hole left by Henderson?

Ps. Hope all is well.

Good try! :p

Always so kind even when having a dig. Appreciate it.

You're welcome.

So effectively you'd want two first round picks? The same as what has been speculated we'd have to give up to get Treolar, a player that has none of Yarran's extensively noted negatives? Well good luck with that.

For what it's worth I hope Yarran stays with Carlton. The estimation of what Carlton and Richmond supporters believe that he is worth seem to be poles apart. There is a good chance that if a trade happened one group of supporters are going to end up mighty unhappy. And although I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be us, I'd rather not risk it. Plus he is at his lowest value now (I'm assuming he can't get lower) and you do have a new coach. Now would be a crazy time to trade him if you don't have to.

Oh and for the record Lennon is no 'fringe' player, he was last weeks rising star nomination and was a number 12 draft pick, his star is in steep ascendancy. So sorry you got no chance there. And frankly most of our real fringe players you rightly wouldn't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

Thanks for your thoughts:). Either Richmond want him to fill a need or do not need him. I am OK with either as long as Carlton get fairly compensated.

Yarran should stay as he is young enough to be part of the CFC rebuild, is contracted for next year and Bolton should be able to get him up.

He is also worth more to us in next years trade as a FA (pick #3 if we are as bad as this year).

Getting a late second rounder from Richmond in a shallow draft does nothing for our rebuild so why bother. Your first is also inadequate alone as he cost more than that, can play and is in our best 22 ( a required player). And is contracted.

Maybe it is Lennon and your second rounder if SOS rates Lennon (value of #6 is 1,751 points versus value #12 1,268 points. Value of your second say 36 (after FA/GC picks) is 500 points. On a points basis it is equitable. But Richmond want Yarran and we have him contracted so you will not get him for pick #36 alone no matter how bad you keep telling us he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your thoughts:). Either Richmond want him to fill a need or do not need him. I am OK with either as long as Carlton get fairly compensated.

Yarran should stay as he is young enough to be part of the CFC rebuild, is contracted for next year and Bolton should be able to get him up.

He is also worth more to us in next years trade as a FA (pick #3 if we are as bad as this year).

Getting a late second rounder from Richmond in a shallow draft does nothing for our rebuild so why bother. Your first is also inadequate alone as he cost more than that, can play and is in our best 22 ( a required player). And is contracted.

Maybe it is Lennon and your second rounder if SOS rates Lennon (value of #6 is 1,751 points versus value #12 1,268 points. Value of your second say 36 (after FA/GC picks) is 500 points. On a points basis it is equitable. But Richmond want Yarran and we have him contracted so you will not get him for pick #36 alone no matter how bad you keep telling us he is.
Draft position and cost is irrelevant after 7 years in the system with only 1 solid season. I understand you point and right now he is probably worth more to you than you would get for him which is not uncommon.

Your asking price is equivalent to that of a gun like Treloar and that is never going to happen.

Draft position and cost is irrelevant after 7 years in the system with only 1 solid season. I understand you point and right now he is probably worth more to you than you would get for him which is not uncommon.

Your asking price is equivalent to that of a gun like Treloar and that is never going to happen.
Doesnt matter about those things its all about supply/demand and Yarran is a rarity. The more clubs that are interested means his price will get pushed up naturally to his market value. Carltons problems are obvious and clubs will think that a change of environment will bring out the best in him because the entire league knows what he can do. With a player of his ability you arent going to get him for unders. If you want someone good, you are going to have to give up something good to get him.

No. I think Treloar is worth pick #3 (if we lose Kreuzer) which is 2,234 points.

Nat Fyfe for pick 20....yes please.

Once a player is in a side and has exposed form, their draft position doesn't mean a whole lot.

The selling point for Yarran is how he's played when not disillusioned by internal club politics and drama. Disgruntled employees rarely perform at their best, but in a new environment can thrive.

Agree that a late second round pick (or any second round pick, really) isn't going to satisfy us, but by the same token, Lennon and a first round pick, or Lever and a first round pick, is so far in our favour it's not even worth considering. We'd get laughed out the door.

First round pick from a club that's in their window is fair, by my reckoning. Young players not getting games - only if they're good enough and presumably their club has massive depth in that position (ie. McBean), and probably with a second round pick thrown our way based on the lack of exposed AFL form.

If that's too steep a price to pay, and the opposition club values a first round pick higher, then maybe they're not so confident of their standing on the ladder or their chances of a flag. As has been pointed out by Richmond fans - they've got a young list as it is, most of their players have at least 5-6 good years ahead of them. Bringing in a talented 24 year old makes a lot of sense and fits the profile. Bringing in a mid-late first round pick who will require a couple of years of development, and even then may struggle to break into a contending side - doesn't seem as critical to me.

Nat Fyfe for pick 20....yes please.

Once a player is in a side and has exposed form, their draft position doesn't mean a whole lot.

The selling point for Yarran is how he's played when not disillusioned by internal club politics and drama. Disgruntled employees rarely perform at their best, but in a new environment can thrive.

Agree that a late second round pick (or any second round pick, really) isn't going to satisfy us, but by the same token, Lennon and a first round pick, or Lever and a first round pick, is so far in our favour it's not even worth considering. We'd get laughed out the door.

First round pick from a club that's in their window is fair, by my reckoning. Young players not getting games - only if they're good enough and presumably their club has massive depth in that position (ie. McBean), and probably with a second round pick thrown our way based on the lack of exposed AFL form.

If that's too steep a price to pay, and the opposition club values a first round pick higher, then maybe they're not so confident of their standing on the ladder or their chances of a flag. As has been pointed out by Richmond fans - they've got a young list as it is, most of their players have at least 5-6 good years ahead of them. Bringing in a talented 24 year old makes a lot of sense and fits the profile. Bringing in a mid-late first round pick who will require a couple of years of development, and even then may struggle to break into a contending side - doesn't seem as critical to me.
Agree on Fyfe. But Treloar is also a beauty as he cost GWS no draft pick and should net them something better:p. Pick #3 next year is worth more than a two picks #15 on the AFL points system, so Yarran is potentially worth two first rounders if we hold and develop him so he has full value as a FA next year.:D

Yarran is not a crap player and has retained his value IMO. I am not completely happy with him:(, but fully expect he will be back to his best next year.:)
He was playing well until MM was sacked, and his season stats are not disgusting for an outside player in a team that was under pressure all year.
This Year Career
13.0 Kicks Per Game 10.6
2.9 Handballs Per Game 3.9
Disposals Per Game 14.5
4.9 Marks Per Game 3.8
2.4 Tackles Per Game 2.8
2.1 Inside 50s Per Game 2.6
0.4 Goal Assists Per Game 0.5
Frees For Per Game 0.5
1.1 Frees Against Per Game 0.8
76.1% Effective Disposals % Per Game

We need to trade for full value, or keep and develop IMO. McBean does not help us win finals so why bother trading.

With the 'sub vest' being dropped in 2016 could this mean Yarran will entertain staying at Carlton now?

With Dangerfield being being left out of the Adelaide FC 2016 calendar could this mean Yarran will entertain staying at Carlton now?

With Richmond utility Ricky Petterd announcing his retirement due to a foot injury could this mean Yarran will entertain staying at Carlton now?

Are we just saying stuff that happened today and seeing if it impacts Yarran's mood? This game is fantastic!

With Dangerfield being being left out of the Adelaide FC 2016 calendar could this mean Yarran will entertain staying at Carlton now?

With Richmond utility Ricky Petterd announcing his retirement due to a foot injury could this mean Yarran will entertain staying at Carlton now?

Are we just saying stuff that happened today and seeing if it impacts Yarran's mood? This game is fantastic!

Wait for the "Yarran announces he wants a trade, does this mean he's staying at Carlton now?"!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back