Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scroll through the thread... see people talking about the 2011 grand final just like they were 3 months ago...

large.gif

That's the difference between you and me...I know that everything I mentioned will be what decides if the team prospers.
You think the parameters you set have some effect on the team, the club and the future.
Now that is not a knock on you, just an observation.
You can pay for a membership or not pay for a membership...that's about it all the sway we have.

So you know that Bucks being a good media performer and saying all the right things will decide how our team prospers. :thumbsu:
You also point out that I don't have any sway in how the team performs... thanks for that. Thought I did.:thumbsu:
Best bit though, is that MY parameters of winning games and finals, is, in your opinion, just my parameters. And that these parameters don't have an effect on the club and it's future.:thumbsu:
I was just hinting to you that you might want to hold off on your fluffy love fest for Bucks till he actually delivers something... and one thing I can guarantee you, is that for the rest of the sane world, Bucks delivering something will involve a bit more than your parameters of just being an accomplished media performer.
But hey, you enjoy all this Bucks related media success while he's in his window... whatever floats your messiah lovin boat. I'm only interested in what The Collingwood Football Club! gets out of it.

If you don't mind I''ll find someone else to talk to now.

All these things that you love and hate about Bucks.. yet no mention of his teams winning games, making finals, losing games, missing finals. Not sure what it's all about for you but personally I couldn't give a flying F@ck about what he says/admits or how professional and good he is at saying it; or for that matter how at ease and confident he appears in front of a camera. Is he selling us Real estate? used cars?.

Pretty much sums it up. What does the club get out of good media performances and speeches? SFA apart from becoming a member of the good citizens club. What does the club get out of poor coaching and on field performances? Not winning games of footy, no finals, no premierships and declining attendances!

What are we here for again?? :$

Who would prefer a total p**k of a bloke as coach who wins premierships or a top bloke and who is everyones mate but wins jack s**t?

But all of these Buckley comments that are less than flattering, is based, i presume, on someone else magically being the magic pudding.
In my opinion, if only it was that easy.
New magic man in, wow, premiership.
Its always been a tough gig, and it is slim odds 1 in 18 win only once a year.
Interestingly mark thompson took 8 years, Mick with us 11 years.
The immortal Allan Jeans one flag in 16 seasons with the Saints.
Some get a flag quickly but most it takes a long time.
Not to worry, replace Nathan, and voila flags galore... Till then its all Nathan's fault blah blah blah

That's the difference between you and me...I know that everything I mentioned will be what decides if the team prospers.
You think the parameters you set have some effect on the team, the club and the future.
Now that is not a knock on you, just an observation.
You can pay for a membership or not pay for a membership...that's about all the sway we have.

In fairness, although I'm happy to admit that at this point I'm firmly in the Buckley camp, none of us really knows whether what he has put in place will bring the team success but I can honestly say it does give me confidence. Not just because of Bucks' media performance but because what he does say articulates pretty clearly how he plans to get to where he wants to be and his dedication and confidence in getting there. The key being that I happen to have a philosophical alignment with what I perceive his plans to involve. So many coaches rattle off cliche after cliche without ever giving their supporters any insight into what is actually happening. They give the appearance of being utterly clueless while Bucks gives the appearance of being more a student of the game.

Ultimately, the fact that he gives this impression of itself will not win flags but for me the results so far suggest we are heading in the right direction because I see results on the field which reflect what I have been told by the coach over the last few years and what I would have expected. Others may not be quite so patient but I am happy enough at this point that we are about where I would expect us to be whilst noting that with a modicum of good fortune, we could have even been better placed.

In fairness, although I'm happy to admit that at this point I'm firmly in the Buckley camp, none of us really knows whether what he has put in place will bring the team success but I can honestly say it does give me confidence. Not just because of Bucks' media performance but because what he does say articulates pretty clearly how he plans to get to where he wants to be and his dedication and confidence in getting there. The key being that I happen to have a philosophical alignment with what I perceive his plans to involve. So many coaches rattle off cliche after cliche without ever giving their supporters any insight into what is actually happening. They give the appearance of being utterly clueless while Bucks gives the appearance of being more a student of the game.

Ultimately, the fact that he gives this impression of itself will not win flags but for me the results so far suggest we are heading in the right direction because I see results on the field which reflect what I have been told by the coach over the last few years and what I would have expected. Others may not be quite so patient but I am happy enough at this point that we are about where I would expect us to be whilst noting that with a modicum of good fortune, we could have even been better placed.
Nicely said
Many coaches trade in cliches, Nathan trades in articulating direction.
To be fair most coaches are trying to build to a flag, very few actually get there.
As long as we are trending in the right direction thats all we can ask - there is no magic pudding.
Jock mchale from the grave would also be building a list

I hate Bucks....and yet...I love him.
I love his obvious professionalism in everything he does...but I hate his lacking 30 years coaching experience....
I love that he nearly always admits he and the side is still learning to be a better side, but that he's confident they're getting there.
I hate that he has not given a comprehensive list of which games we will win, by how much and/or a date for the next flag.
I love that he appears completely at ease and confident he can deliver for the club....but I hate that he is aware that he is doing the hard yards, learning the game, but is not crippled by a fear of failure as all young coaches supposedly should be.
It's also a worry that he and the club have not published a handbook explaining the "game plan" in detail regardless of how long has has had with the current list to develop it.

And yet..........

Mmmm, 4 loves and 4 hates, soo undecided but yet optimistic?:p
2016 big year I think, go pies!!!!

Just out of interest, aren't all posts personal opinions? Not sure what you are trying to say here?
Not if they're not opinions. They could be statements of fact, questions, comedic posts, sarcastic, abusive etc. You are right though.. I didn't need to write "ïn your opinion" because as you point out that's a given. So thanks for pulling me up on that. I was trying to say that it wouldn't just be MY parameters or my personal opinion that a coach is ultimately judged by wins and losses and finals performance... and not media performance. That's a given also I would've thought.

Nicely said
Many coaches trade in cliches, Nathan trades in articulating direction.
To be fair most coaches are trying to build to a flag, very few actually get there.
As long as we are trending in the right direction thats all we can ask - there is no magic pudding.
Jock mchale from the grave would also be building a list
I agree with your sentiments. But if something is not working or has not worked after a long enough period of time it is incumbent on those with strategic oversight to make changes. I know sacking your coach is no guarantee that anything will be better but obviously neither is persisting with what has not and is not working. (I'm not saying we're at that point though btw). There are too many people on here who seem to think Bucks is bigger or more important than the club.. it all seems to be about him for them. I find it strange and grating.

Not if they're not opinions. They could be statements of fact, questions, comedic posts, sarcastic, abusive etc. You are right though.. I didn't need to write "ïn your opinion" because as you point out that's a given. So thanks for pulling me up on that. I was trying to say that it wouldn't just be MY parameters or my personal opinion that a coach is ultimately judged by wins and losses and finals performance... and not media performance. That's a given also I would've thought.
Not exactly, if you use your parameters and compare the wins and losses of say Brisbane, Melbourne, Essendon, GCS, St Kilda and Carlton, I would much rather be in our position than theirs. Those teams should all be looking for new coaches, in fact I would say that the Saints supporters are pretty satisfied on their year. Also one of those clubs had the 'master' for awhile this year.

I am prepared to be patient and see how we go in 2016 as I don't think we need to replace the coach at the moment.

Not exactly, if you use your parameters and compare the wins and losses of say Brisbane, Melbourne, Essendon, GCS, St Kilda and Carlton, I would much rather be in our position than theirs. Those teams should all be looking for new coaches, in fact I would say that the Saints supporters are pretty satisfied on their year. Also one of those clubs had the 'master' for awhile this year.

I am prepared to be patient and see how we go in 2016 as I don't think we need to replace the coach at the moment.

This is a bit off topic from what I was originally posting about. I agree that I am not unhappy with where we are situated but I would never choose the bottom performing clubs and say .. see w're not so bad as these guys, like you've done there. Mediocrity shouldn't be a goal for our club. Also, Saints and GCS could really do some damage next year btw.
I have never said we should replace the coach, in fact I've said the opposite so not sure why you wrote the last sentence. 2016 is a huge year for Nathan Buckley's future as coach though.. it will be his 5th year in charge and promise will have to start translating into performance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with your sentiments. But if something is not working or has not worked after a long enough period of time it is incumbent on those with strategic oversight to make changes. I know sacking your coach is no guarantee that anything will be better but obviously neither is persisting with what has not and is not working. (I'm not saying we're at that point though btw). There are too many people on here who seem to think Bucks is bigger or more important than the club.. it all seems to be about him for them. I find it strange and grating.
Excellently said Dodles.
Agree if its mot working then change must happen.
Im not a hird essendon attitude to Nathan. I do think however he will lead us to the holy grail.
I wasnt ever sure about tony shaw as an example, though he did fall on his sward with playing youngsters.
As winston churchill once said
If a leader is good support him, help him when he stumbles, but if hes no good Poleaxe him!

If the denizens of this thread got their way and Buckley was replaced, they'd be the first poeple posting in the "[INSERT COACH] Coaching Megathread 2016" looking to have him sacked.

If the denizens of this thread got their way and Buckley was replaced, they'd be the first poeple posting in the "[INSERT COACH] Coaching Megathread 2016" looking to have him sacked.
This is likely right
Only one more match and season done dusted

With Nathan coming out of contract at the end of next year, and if collingwood dont resign him until late into the next year,to see if we make finals and how the team is performing. My question is....Will another club try and poach him? And offer a huge contract to him whilst hes still coaching collingwood.Im sure collingwood would thinking about this situation.Ross Lyon did it to St.kilda as they didnt rush to resign him...Thoughts community?????

Pretty much sums it up. What does the club get out of good media performances and speeches? SFA apart from becoming a member of the good citizens club. What does the club get out of poor coaching and on field performances? Not winning games of footy, no finals, no premierships and declining attendances!

What are we here for again?? :$

Who would prefer a total p**k of a bloke as coach who wins premierships or a top bloke and who is everyones mate but wins jack s**t?

You ladder position obsessives have NFI. Ladder position could have ended Bomber, Clarkson, Choco but their clubs persisted and won flags.
Ladder position is meaningless when building a list - as we are seeing with GEEL.

Ladder position is NEVER the whole story unless you have no capacity for objective analysis.

So you know that Bucks being a good media performer and saying all the right things will decide how our team prospers. :thumbsu:
You also point out that I don't have any sway in how the team performs... thanks for that. Thought I did.:thumbsu:
Best bit though, is that MY parameters of winning games and finals, is, in your opinion, just my parameters. And that these parameters don't have an effect on the club and it's future.:thumbsu:
I was just hinting to you that you might want to hold off on your fluffy love fest for Bucks till he actually delivers something... and one thing I can guarantee you, is that for the rest of the sane world, Bucks delivering something will involve a bit more than your parameters of just being an accomplished media performer.
But hey, you enjoy all this Bucks related media success while he's in his window... whatever floats your messiah lovin boat. I'm only interested in what The Collingwood Football Club! gets out of it.

If you don't mind I''ll find someone else to talk to now.
No skin off my nose....you will note though I did not post specifically to you for your edification.

Interesting to and fro here - now kiddes kiss and make up

So many painful memories I see. Bolded sentence got my attention though. It's bullsh#t.!!! yeah lots of exclamation marks!!!! and now in capitals.. BULLSH$T!!!! But swayed by popular revisionist opinion you may be young jedi. This Collingwood team finished second on the ladder 1 game behind Essendon. This Collingwood team absolutely dominated the Bombers in the grand final and yet shortly afterward was labelled the least talented and most lucky gf winner in recent history by some in the media. You seem to have taken your opinion from them. Untalented??? let me run a few names by you... Daicos, Brown, Millane, Shaw,McGuanne, Morwood, Wright, Russell, Turner, Francis, Christian, Kelly, Crossisca, Monkhorst, Banks, Starcevic, Barwick, Manson, and ok Kerrison and Gayfer. This team trumps 2010/2011 for pure football talent by a long way. How was this team that finished just one game behind Esendon "lucky" to win by 48 points in the grand final only because "Sheedy outfoxed himself"?? F##KIN wash your mouth out!!! Keen to hear you explanation for that one actually.. so how did "Sheedy outfox himself"?
Yeah - it hurt me to say it, but he made things easier for us. Matthews proved he was a better coach than Sheedy on GF day simply by the way he handled the players at quarter time.
But back to old smoke and mirrors master stroker Sheedy.
He rested half his team in round 22, then had the weeks rest for finishing on top, then we had a draw...and they were rusty in the 2nd semi.
GF we outplayed them on our merits no problem - but it's the only time in 40 years I can remember us having any luck at all in finals. I don't rate Sheedy. He's too clever by half and I felt all year we were closing the gap on them, but he helped us with his stupidity. Don't worry, 1990 was one of the best days of my life and we were deserved winners - as we should have been in 1970. The point I'm trying to make is that we have always been competitive but very rarely have we positioned ourselves to be dominant. We've been timid recruiters, taken safe options or total duds (remember Teasdale? Edwards?Morris? Warwick Irwin (wonderful player - had a benefit year with us ) )and punted everything on "getting lucky" next year.
This time we haven't done that, we've actually been bold and fairly brave.

Hi Buckley,

I don't know if you forgot this from the introductory class in coaching 101, but please ensure that the next time you find your team to be ahead by less than goal with 3 minutes to go, that you tell your team to prioritise defensive structure and holding onto the lead.

From your forgotten friend,
Common Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back