Sub abolished, 90 interchanges for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

oldcrowgirl

Cancelled
Oct 12, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
"THE SUBSTITUTE will be removed and the interchange cap reduced from 120 to 90 rotations per game in 2016 under changes announced to clubs on Thursday.

The game will return to four interchange players with clubs allowed to also make changes at quarter breaks.

Forced changes such as the blood rule, concussion assessment and stretcher changes will not be counted as part of the rotations."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-03/sub-rule-abolished-interchange-cap-reduced

I think the AFL have got this one right. The sub rule was not liked, working or sustainable.

300185-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Forced changes such as the blood rule, concussion assessment and stretcher changes will not be counted as part of the rotations.

Opportunity for some players to make themselves a hero.

5 mins to go, scores level and Tex is stuck on the bench with no rotations left. VB steps up and wham, punches himself in the face. He goes off with the blood rule and Text comes on to kick the winner.

5 mins to go, scores level and Tex is stuck on the bench with no rotations left. VB steps up and wham, punches himself in the face. He goes off with the blood rule and Text comes on to kick the winner.
taking a cramp to the next level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet that rotations were no more than 90 when the sub rule was introduced. And it was introduced for a reason: the clubs felt disadvantaged by an early injury. What's changed?
public opinion

VBs team mates will be lining up to do that for him, as pay back for all the hospital handpasses of late:D

Glad they finally got rid of a really stupid rule.

I bet that rotations were no more than 90 when the sub rule was introduced. And it was introduced for a reason: the clubs felt disadvantaged by an early injury. What's changed?

What I've never understood is that even with the sub rule you are disadvantaged by an early injury because then you are down to three fit players whereas the other team still has someone fresh to come on late in the game

It has never really made sense

The AFL are now clear that the players and football public both hate the sub rule!

So glad to see this rule removed. My most hated rule by far. It stunted the development of Lyons, Grigg and Matt Crouch.

I'm happy they have changed it back! Should be only 40 I/C
But *en AFL such a *en amateur organization, just love messing with the game all the time, just let it *en be!
Can we have about 5 years of no on-field rule changes....please

A sad, sad day.

When the teams are picked now on a Thursday what will we whine about? Are we going to look at the emergencies and say "my god, why is Otten an emergency over Shaw?" The sub was there for a reason, to create quality conversation and provide ample opportunity for those without any genuine football knowledge to snipe at the coach and selectors...poor move AFL.

With the mentioning of teams being allowed to make changes at quarter breaks, does that mean those changes don't count toward the interchange cap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back