Biased/incompetent media coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are at a big disadvantage to have to travel to Perth twice. Just like it would be for us to have to travel to Melbourne twice. Hence why it is so important for us to finish top 2, just as it was important for Hawthorn to do the same.

They are at a big disadvantage to have to travel to Perth twice. Just like it would be for us to have to travel to Melbourne twice. Hence why it is so important for us to finish top 2, just as it was important for Hawthorn to do the same.
Absolutely agree with you. Very unusual to have to travel to Perth for two finals for a Vic team though, (just thinking about that travel compared to all season travel by WA based teams)

lol at comparing concussions to getting on a plane.

Also just to illustrate my point travel is a recovery issue, not an injury thing.

We should be better at traveling than other teams. I don't understand why people would think differently.

A couple of similar type of things. Team A plays the season with rest between games of 5 days, then 9 days, then 5 days etc throughout the season. While team B plays the who season with 7 day breaks, with a couple of 5 day breaks thrown in. Then they play the first final with only a 5 day break. Surely the team that has had 11 5 day breaks throughout the year has an advantage over Team B.

Another example is a team that plays 11 games throughout the year at 20 degrees and 11 at 35 degrees, while Team B plays 20 at 20 degrees and 2 at 35 degrees. I know who has an advantage come finals and it's a 35 degree day.

Also just to illustrate my point travel is a recovery issue, not an injury thing.

We should be better at traveling than other teams. I don't understand why people would think differently.

A couple of similar type of things. Team A plays the season with rest between games of 5 days, then 9 days, then 5 days etc throughout the season. While team B plays the who season with 7 day breaks, with a couple of 5 day breaks thrown in. Then they play the first final with only a 5 day break. Surely the team that has had 11 5 day breaks throughout the year has an advantage over Team B.

Another example is a team that plays 11 games throughout the year at 20 degrees and 11 at 35 degrees, while Team B plays 20 at 20 degrees and 2 at 35 degrees. I know who has an advantage come finals and it's a 35 degree day.
Understand where you're going with that fidstar. Couple of things though..airflight with an injury does make a difference to recovery time from the injury...having 7 day breaks makes a massive difference to 5 day breaks in terms of soft tissue injuries & general soreness. Agree a team playing in high temperatures/humidity can affect performance.

Made me feel like I'm back in school :fire:

Re: Travel, I reckon it goes both ways. Yes we are disadvantaged by having to travel every second week, but we would get used to it, slightly, if nothing else we'd have a pretty good routine set up for it. The other thing is though, we probably have the biggest home ground advantage in the comp, due to other sides lack of constant travel. One of the reasons I reckon we make finals more often that not, is that even when we're a half decent side, we can win majority of our home games, snag an away win or 2, and we've got 10-13 wins.

It definitely doesn't get the recognition it deserves, when an interstate side, especially a west austtralian one wins the flag, but I reckon I'd take our home ground advantage with the constant travel against a side that rarely travels, but plays most their games at neutral venues against other sides from the same state.

But...it is a disadvantage for Melbourne teams and an advantage for Perth teams. So why can't they make a big deal about it?
Because.......They........do.....not.....accept.....it.....is.....a disdavantage.....for.....WA.....teams......to....travel......every.....second......week. In....fact...they.....make.....the ....point....that....if...we...lose.....we....can't...travel.

Most commentators would say traveling every second week would be a disadvantage. They would then say it is offset by the advantage of having a large home ground advantage.

There are also a bunch of other advantages of being in WA, most of them financial.

This is mostly true.

Because.......They........do.....not.....accept.....it.....is.....a disdavantage.....for.....WA.....teams......to....travel......every.....second......week. In....fact...they.....make.....the ....point....that....if...we...lose.....we....can't...travel.
Strange way to type a response.

Who is "they" exactly? I haven't heard any media commentators make that statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the AFL pay for travel and accommodation or is that done by the teams themselves?
Pretty sure AFL pays all travel costs.

When the Eagles started however, I vaguely remember reading the AFL covered all of the Victorian clubs travel costs, but not West Coast's. Was a farce the crap Eagles had to put up with.

Pretty sure AFL pays all travel costs.

When the Eagles started however, I vaguely remember reading the AFL covered all of the Victorian clubs travel costs, but not West Coast's. Was a farce the crap Eagles had to put up with.

But, but, we were a state team, and got the best talent from the WAFL, and were clearly on the roids:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't know who it was, but one of the commentators after the Saints game just referred to Nic Nat as "Fijian born" :oops:

Did it during the game, think it was Da'cy .... ******* dickknob of a bloke, how can they just sprout crap that isn't true?

BT went on about JK sneaking around. Then the replay shows JK mark the ball running towards the boundary, he obviously has momentum carry him off line and comes back around to where he ACTUALLY took the grab, which is where the line is set and takes his shot, BT just keeps rambling about how sneaky he is and urging umpires not to turn their backs.

Worst commentary team, the way he talks s**t about "world records", in itself a stupid term to use in the AFL, but he was wrong anyway. Then trying to give Richo s**t about his goal post theory, which is a scientifically proven fact.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...es-of-commentary/story-fndpt0dy-1227298810996

Richie Benaud has been widely remembered as the finest commentator in cricket history after his passing on Friday and these are the rules he lived by.

1. Develop a distinctive style.

2. Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.

3. There are no teams in the TV world called ‘we’ or ‘they’.

4. Concentrate fiercely at all times.

5. Try to avoid allowing these past your lips: “Of course ...” “As you can see on the screen” “You know ...” “I tell you what ...”

6. Never say “That’s a tragedy or a disaster ...” — the Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.

7. Never ask a statement.

8. Remember the value of the pause.

9. Above all don’t take yourself too seriously, and have fun.

Strange way to type a response.

Who is "they" exactly? I haven't heard any media commentators make that statement.
I still remember the clown Robbo(Ian Robertson) saying the Eagles are impostors. They win the easy games at home when teams have the hard trip to WA but can't win in Melbourne:drunk:.
I kid you not, and some of that attitude still lingers.

I still remember the clown Robbo(Ian Robertson) saying the Eagles are impostors. They win the easy games at home when teams have the hard trip to WA but can't win in Melbourne:drunk:.
I kid you not, and some of that attitude still lingers.
In the past I wouldn't have had any problem with that statement. What do you think is wrong with it?

The boys have proven they can win anywhere this year, so I doubt any media commentators will still be saying that.

In the past I wouldn't have had any problem with that statement. What do you think is wrong with it?

The boys have proven they can win anywhere this year, so I doubt any media commentators will still be saying that.
The knob probably failed to see the contradiction in his statement. How is the trip from Melbourne to Perth any harder than the trip Perth to Melbourne?

The knob probably failed to see the contradiction in his statement. How is the trip from Melbourne to Perth any harder than the trip Perth to Melbourne?
I think you're reading into it too much. Travel in either direction is the same. He seems to be stating that the Eagles could only win at home (which is evidently easier), making them look better than they are (Ie. Imposters).

I think you're reading into it too much. Travel in either direction is the same. He seems to be stating that the Eagles could only win at home (which is evidently easier), making them look better than they are (Ie. Imposters).
He referred to "when teams have the hard trip to Perth" which is why I made my comment about the trip over here being as hard as the trip the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back