FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they were tipped by many going into that game.
A bit like Fremantle in 2013. People hoped the underdog would win. That hope turned to conviction somewhere along the line.

A bit like Fremantle in 2013. People hoped the underdog would win. That hope turned to conviction somewhere along the line.
Also off the back of Port Adelaide beating Geelong in Round 21, and Port winning its prelim by 15 goals compared to Geelong's win by a kick.

Port's internal overconfidence going into the 07 GF surprised me. The journos tipped 2/3 in Geelong's favor roughly, and certainly none of them tipped either team to win more by 5-6 goals either way. The black cloud over Geelong was 4 losing GFs since their last flag 44 years earlier. Obviously Port felt the Round 21 win against them at Kardinia Park meant they had their equal measure, and I believe Port had far less expectation and pressure leading into the game.

Port clearly didn't respect their opposition enough from the sounds of it. The Cats' hard fought PF slog in some ways meant that they went into the game with an edge, and in the GF were mentally switched on from the start and all seemed to click. Port's cruisy 87-point mauling of the hapless Roos where they put the cue-in-the-rack with a quarter and a half to go was the kiss of death.

A year after when asked about the loss Choco said something to the effect of 'We could have limited the blow out, but doing that meant we would have had to put all of our 18 players at one end of the ground'!

Ironically Bomber Thompson stated a very similar feeling when going into the 2008 GF a year later. He said that Geelong were celebrating a bit too early by preparing the after match celebrations. Everybody at the club were expecting to win with ease against the underdog in Hawthorn.

I remember watching the footy show on the Thursday night with the interviews with the two coaches. Thompson looked tired and sounded stressed with the weight of 44 years on his shoulder as well as being faced with the internal issues of Blake being dropped and having a hissy fit. Then they cut to Choco all smiles, full of jokes and exuding confidence. I thought what an awesome position to be in, enthusiastically going in to a Grand Final as the underdogs in great form - we got nothing to lose I said.

:$

Well turns out we kind of did.

Ironically Bomber Thompson stated a very similar feeling when going into the 2008 GF a year later. He said that Geelong were celebrating a bit too early by preparing the after match celebrations. Everybody at the club were expecting to win with ease against the underdog in Hawthorn.
To say that everybody at the club were expecting to win with ease, is nonsense. They might have been confident in winning, but not arrogant enough to win with ease.

I remember watching the footy show on the Thursday night with the interviews with the two coaches. Thompson looked tired and sounded stressed with the weight of 44 years on his shoulder as well as being faced with the internal issues of Blake being dropped and having a hissy fit. Then they cut to Choco all smiles, full of jokes and exuding confidence. I thought what an awesome position to be in, enthusiastically going in to a Grand Final as the underdogs in great form - we got nothing to lose I said.

:$

Well turns out we kind of did.
You didn't lose everything, you gained a record!

Port's internal overconfidence going into the 07 GF surprised me. The journos tipped 2/3 in Geelong's favor roughly, and certainly none of them tipped either team to win more by 5-6 goals either way. The black cloud over Geelong was 4 losing GFs since their last flag 44 years earlier. Obviously Port felt the Round 21 win against them at Kardinia Park meant they had their equal measure, and I believe Port had far less expectation and pressure leading into the game.

Port clearly didn't respect their opposition enough from the sounds of it. The Cats' hard fought PF slog in some ways meant that they went into the game with an edge, and in the GF were mentally switched on from the start and all seemed to click. Port's cruisy 87-point mauling of the hapless Roos where they put the cue-in-the-rack with a quarter and a half to go was the kiss of death.

A year after when asked about the loss Choco said something to the effect of 'We could have limited the blow out, but doing that meant we would have had to put all of our 18 players at one end of the ground'!

One of the great examples of people overrating recent form and momentum over longer-term (whole season) form.

Port Adelaide were outside the 8 (on percentage) as late as the end of Round 14 that year. They went on to win 7 of their last 8 that year, to jump up into second place. Meanwhile, the Cats had lost just one game (Round 21, to Port, by 5 points, on a last second goal) after Round 5, and had an awesome percentage of 152.8% (no other team topped 120%).

Nobody expected 119, and you always want to believe, and the Cats had a close shave against Collingwood in the prelim, and had a history of choking at the final hurdle even when dominant during the H&A season, but there was no reason for Geelong not to have been solid favourites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the great examples of people overrating recent form and momentum over longer-term (whole season) form.

Port Adelaide were outside the 8 (on percentage) as late as the end of Round 14 that year. They went on to win 7 of their last 8 that year, to jump up into second place. Meanwhile, the Cats had lost just one game (Round 21, to Port, by 5 points, on a last second goal) after Round 5, and had an awesome percentage of 152.8% (no other team topped 120%).

Nobody expected 119, and you always want to believe, and the Cats had a close shave against Collingwood in the prelim, and had a history of choking at the final hurdle even when dominant during the H&A season, but there was no reason for Geelong not to have been solid favourites.

I remember not giving Port a chance of winning '07.
There was a lot of hype over their Rd21 win over Geelong, but very, very little mention of Geelong playing that day without the eventual Brownlow Medallist, Jimmy Bartel and Selwood being rested.

Just watched the Cornes' one myself, and really enjoyed it. The hour flew by, and I actually wanted to hear more from them. Think I might have to have a read of Kane's book.

I was only little but I remember asking my dad why he was rearranging his face instead of coaching.

Anyone know the moment I'm referring to, or is that just me?

Against Sydney i believe in 1987 when we kicked 30 goals
I think

I was only little but I remember asking my dad why he was rearranging his face instead of coaching.

Anyone know the moment I'm referring to, or is that just me?

we were getting flogged by the swans. that was even before cola!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back