List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with Rocket that someone who can play as a 3rd tall but who is agile and explosive enough to do damage both in the air and on the ground would help. Especially in the forward line where we are either big (Lynch, Dixon, Day, 2MP) or small.

Like some of the best key defenders, guys like Maysie and Rance are actually prototype 3rd talls both being in the early to mid 190's.

Neither are as tall as the main key forwards they play on but they use closing speed, agility, athleticism, anticipation etc to cover in contested situations but also do damage away from the player they are covering.

They can (and sometimes do) cover smaller players. We have less need for a 3rd tall defender since Rory, Sam Day, or Leslie can cover the bigger dudes OK and we can play Maysie on the more explosive dudes.

When you think about whether a good 3rd tall would help, think of Maysie or Rance as well as the forwards like Stringer and Gunston.

Someone like Schadey is just not explosive enough to be the ideal 3rd tall at either end. Not damaging enough.
Aaron Black..perfect 3rd tall. Quick, agile, good when ball hits deck.
Pity he has now turned to s**t and looks a shadow of his 2013 form. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.

Last edited:

Hawthorns 1st pick & Gunston I think would get it done.

Any club would have to offer an A grade player to suit a need on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some very interesting comments by Rocket in the post match press conference, said the draft is not very vital this year to many young players already, not interested in steve johnson not in the right age bracket, will be very active in the trade period this year targeting players in the 22 to 26 age bracket.
http://m.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2015-09-06/rd23-rodney-eade-postmatch

If dicko and Harley go then I think so will I

I am annoyed rather than upset about those two.

Dicko = about money more than anything else (length of contract as well as $/year)
Harley = about the off-field problems and clubs trying to steal the talent (won't be a steal if it happens)

This can happen at all clubs (money and off-field) in the free-agency and player movement era, and will keep happening.

I would be upset if we had players who wanted out to:
  • go back home
  • be with a partner in another city
  • live in a 'footy state', or
  • who had a problem with a 'senior' person at the club or who had a 'feud' with a player.
The names getting bandied about in this group are the truly upsetting ones.

But I started a thread called "sticking fat" during our lowest point of the year so I am mentally unable to jump off. I have some comforting words for everyone though: Gary Ablett Jnr signs a new 3 year contract!

Some very interesting comments by Rocket in the post match press conference, said the draft is not very vital this year to many young players already, not interested in steve johnson not in the right age bracket, will be very active in the trade period this year targeting players in the 22 to 26 age bracket.
http://m.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2015-09-06/rd23-rodney-eade-postmatch

Well with that in mind..
We'd use picks 3-10 on kids
19 and 22 on traded in players and
A pick in the 70s-80s to upgrade Saad

Must use a minimum 3 live picks at the draft. :)

If Harley does go, we will get an embarrassment of riches in return we could put to good use. I don't really expect him to leave though.

Not from Hawthorn we wouldn't.. From Carlton yes pick 1 or 2 from a Kruezer compo pick would be nice..
THTS IF Harley really did need to go.
Much rather keep him

Hi guys,

Genuinely not trying the BF "here take our assorted crap in exchange for your first rounder" move here, but saw Eade's comments re wanting mature AFL ready players.

Do you think the Suns will look at either:
- One or both of suspended Pies pair Josh Thomas or Lachlan Keeffe. Both Qld-ers and could be had for free via late ND selection or Rookie draft.
- Adam Oxley. Another Queenslander, and plays in a position where we have excess depth.
- Perhaps more remote, but Jesse White is also a Queenslander and while not a world beater can play a role as 3rd forward/2nd ruck.

We'd be happy to keep them all, but we need extra currency to get Treloar and Aish. Think any trade would be lower value (e.g. NOT seeking your first rounder here!).

Guess the other thing is with Eade's recent history at Collingwood he knows these players and might have an interest from that angle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back