NEAFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
The schedule is up for second week of the finals, UWS vs SU early on Saturday, while NT vs ASP on Saturday night....

http://australianfootball.com/seaso...Season/2/2/2015/basic#first-preliminary-final

Wow, I would have thought that 1st plays the winner of 3rd V 4th but since they play the winner of 5th V 6th then they do get the real second chance, Aspley really good today and the Thunder will be hard pressed to give them the flick, as they fought off a very good AFL Reserve Side in the Swans with never give up footy, something that the Thunder struggle with when pressed at the tight end of the season.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Last edited:

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
gws play aspley on saturday at blacktown

thunder play uni at tio

1rst gets the lower seed
2 gets the higher seed

Dammo,

Thank God for the educated, Will Gubby instruct the coaching staff to put the cue in the rack, which in the past has shown him to favour? Or will he try and build a little bit of culture within the club (to try and win a NEAFL Premiership) and give the boys who he and the club can't afford under there generous salary cap a chance to prove their ware's elsewhere??????

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just thinking,,, regardless of who wins their prelim finals games this coming weekend,, I ask, where will the Grand Final be played. ?
Like, if the 2 Sydney based clubs make it , I guess it will be played in Sydney.
If Thunder or Aspley make it,, etc etc, where will the decider be played ?

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Just thinking,,, regardless of who wins their prelim finals games this coming weekend,, I ask, where will the Grand Final be played. ?
Like, if the 2 Sydney based clubs make it , I guess it will be played in Sydney.
thunder will because they are the higher ranked team and they'd probably mget the home grand final if gws make it

NEAFL rules I believe are the highest ranked non-AFL reserves side gets to host it, if both sides are AFL reserves than the higher ranked one hosts it.

Therefore winner of Thunder-Sydney Uni will host it.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks guys.... So if the Thunder win this weekend they will get the Grand Final at home. Must say if they do win this weekend , the crowd on Grand Final game day will be the biggest crowd at a GF in NEAFL history.
Most likely a good chance of 8000 plus !!!

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
dominating win by the hornets

3 grand finals in a row

Yes, one must say again, thanks a lot GWS, two years in a row minor premiers 2 years in a row out in game one, although while I am wrapped that Aspley won, the boys where far from convincing compared to how they can and have played at times this year - No club winning culture or final structures being taught to this playing group at the land of the Giant - Is it Gubby up to his old tricks and ordered the cue to be stored in the rack or are they just not good enough when it gets to the pointy end of the season??????? Sack the coach IMO, as if he expects players to learn from their past mistakes (like last year) then he is not setting a good enough example as their leader!!!!!!!! All that those Giant players will learn out of this, is how to lose when it comes to finals and that is not a good thing going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yet another Grand Final appearance by the legend coach John Blair. My total respect for his coaching ability ,, unreal .
Thunder is looking the goods, but you never know against a Blair coached side with a never say die attitude.
Crowd will be huge by NEAFL standards.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just out of interest what are the qualifying rules for finals in this comp?? Surely young Hipwood who didn't even play a game for Aspley for the year and played yesterday makes the whole "competition" fairly meaningless. He would have played purely on show casing his ability and ticking a box for recruiters. And thats a good thing that he was allowed to play. I am hoping he goes top 10.
You may complain BB about the Giants 2's throwing the cue in the rack but surely you have now understood this is an exhibition competition, put on purely for drafting purposes and/or AFL 2's (reckon i have said this 50x now...) Although the standard is really good, it is not the sort of premiership that matters in the big scheme. Too many nuances that create a competition that actually doesn't have the best team winning it at the pointy end or even close. Even a 3 week finals system with 6 teams????? And thats not taking anything away from John Blair or his group - he is obviously a fantastic coach. But lets not get too caught up in "winning" a premiership - I know how you went on last year... :)

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
J
You may complain BB about the Giants 2's throwing the cue in the rack but surely you have now understood this is an exhibition competition, put on purely for drafting purposes and/or AFL 2's (reckon i have said this 50x now...) Although the standard is really good, it is not the sort of premiership that matters in the big scheme. Too many nuances that create a competition that actually doesn't have the best team winning it at the pointy end or even close. Even a 3 week finals system with 6 teams????? And thats not taking anything away from John Blair or his group - he is obviously a fantastic coach. But lets not get too caught up in "winning" a premiership - I know how you went on last year... :)
smy, I half-agree with you. Yes, it's an exhibition competition and, yes, it serves a drafting purpose. And no, I don't see that the AFL teams give a toss about winning - (their coaches have openly admitted to that from time to time).
But it seems to matter a lot to the community clubs that have to account for all the hard-earned revenue that is sunk into propping up their team. A piece of silverware in the trophy cabinet is shiny enough to outrate the story of how it was won in a stacked nuanced competition.
But I personally wouldn't stump up my own money to support a NEAFL team and I bet hardly any of you people would either.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It has to matter I imagine justa. Like you said it is so much money thrown at the comp that means it has to matter. VFL attracts pretty good support as well and this comp is not unlike the NEAFL in terms of what it is actually set up for.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
smy, I half-agree with you. Yes, it's an exhibition competition and, yes, it serves a drafting purpose. And no, I don't see that the AFL teams give a toss about winning - (their coaches have openly admitted to that from time to time).
But it seems to matter a lot to the community clubs that have to account for all the hard-earned revenue that is sunk into propping up their team. A piece of silverware in the trophy cabinet is shiny enough to outrate the story of how it was won in a stacked nuanced competition.
But I personally wouldn't stump up my own money to support a NEAFL team and I bet hardly any of you people would either.

smy1305 & justabaracker,

While you both have once again put your arguments in regard to the NEAFL Comp being a touch tainted, that is only some of the 4 AFL Reserve sides (when they choose) who don't give it the (the Competition that is) kudos that at all times it should respect, but that is their loss (Swan's get my vote for doing their best again this season) - If they (the Coaches and football departments of these sides) don't see that winning any competition that their players are involved within is an important learning step, then they are not worth their coaching accreditation beliefs that we all had steeled into us - To make every player under our control a better player, to respect their opponent and the game, quite clearly they are falling down in this area.

Quite frankly, I think that the AFL reserve sides within the NEAFL Comp are just not good enough to compete with the Community football sides of the current competition and that my friends does a great disservice to the game its self, the might of the all conquering AFL sides being beaten by a bunch of suburban sides. Can you imagine if the AFL reserve clubs in Melbourne playing the original Aussie football competition currently The VFL, treated this VFL competition the way some of their Northern cousins treat the NEAFL - AFL HQ would be whacking them with a very big stick.

I love reading the NEAFL sites for the SUN's and The Lions were most of the uneducated posters want a true AFL Reserve Competition, as they don't believe their players are getting the footy they need to improve themselves within the NEAFL - When they start dominating the comp IMO then this may very well be a possibility if the AFL funds where available, until then don't use the strength of the community clubs within the Comp as an excuse for poor recruiting and poor coaching. Josh Fraser and Matty Lappin are typical examples of this, by playing with a club within the AFLQ Comp while their Sun's reserve players in the NEAFL are getting beat up every week, can someone at the Suns ask the question for these employees to have a crack and lead by example for their club or are they just not good enough to play at the NEAFL level more?

Its easy for you guys to sit back and pick holes in the NEAFL Comp as most, who do not have a stake holding currently do - But I am sure that if your sides had not made the call to drop out and play down in a state or territory based local comp, you would be just as proud of your boys, if they were lucky enough to win a premiership in the NEAFL, I hope that along with Aspley, Sydney Uni, Southport, Redland and The NT all share in Premiership success in the not to distant future, at the expense of the careless AFL Reserve sides if they chose not to compete. You can only play the side that is assembled on the field at any stage of the season - There is no column for any comment for or against the eventual premiership winner & if the NT get up against my beloved Hornets on Saturday night, lets see if the 8,000 odd Territorians give a big fat rats rectum if the Competition is compromised or not, their side, like all of the community coached sides, gives their all every week!!!!!!!!! Whingers, whinge and winners win and this current NEAFL Competition is a great example where a few community based North Eastern Football clubs in this instance are leading most of the 4 Northern professional AFL Clubs, in what the game is all about - playing our game, proud and without compromise.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
smy1305 & justabaracker,

While you both have once again put your arguments in regard to the NEAFL Comp being a touch tainted, that is only some of the 4 AFL Reserve sides (when they choose) who don't give it the (the Competition that is) kudos that at all times it should respect, but that is their loss (Swan's get my vote for doing their best again this season) - If they (the Coaches and football departments of these sides) don't see that winning any competition that their players are involved within is an important learning step, then they are not worth their coaching accreditation beliefs that we all had steeled into us - To make every player under our control a better player, to respect their opponent and the game, quite clearly they are falling down in this area.

Quite frankly, I think that the AFL reserve sides within the NEAFL Comp are just not good enough to compete with the Community football sides of the current competition and that my friends does a great disservice to the game its self, the might of the all conquering AFL sides being beaten by a bunch of suburban sides. Can you imagine if the AFL reserve clubs in Melbourne playing the original Aussie football competition currently The VFL, treated this VFL competition the way some of their Northern cousins treat the NEAFL - AFL HQ would be whacking them with a very big stick.

I love reading the NEAFL sites for the SUN's and The Lions were most of the uneducated posters want a true AFL Reserve Competition, as they don't believe their players are getting the footy they need to improve themselves within the NEAFL - When they start dominating the comp IMO then this may very well be a possibility if the AFL funds where available, until then don't use the strength of the community clubs within the Comp as an excuse for poor recruiting and poor coaching. Josh Fraser and Matty Lappin are typical examples of this, by playing with a club within the AFLQ Comp while their Sun's reserve players in the NEAFL are getting beat up every week, can someone at the Suns ask the question for these employees to have a crack and lead by example for their club or are they just not good enough to play at the NEAFL level more?

Its easy for you guys to sit back and pick holes in the NEAFL Comp as most, who do not have a stake holding currently do - But I am sure that if your sides had not made the call to drop out and play down in a state or territory based local comp, you would be just as proud of your boys, if they were lucky enough to win a premiership in the NEAFL, I hope that along with Aspley, Sydney Uni, Southport, Redland and The NT all share in Premiership success in the not to distant future, at the expense of the careless AFL Reserve sides if they chose not to compete. You can only play the side that is assembled on the field at any stage of the season - There is no column for any comment for or against the eventual premiership winner & if the NT get up against my beloved Hornets on Saturday night, lets see if the 8,000 odd Territorians give a big fat rats rectum if the Competition is compromised or not, their side, like all of the community coached sides, gives their all every week!!!!!!!!! Whingers, whinge and winners win and this current NEAFL Competition is a great example where a few community based North Eastern Football clubs in this instance are leading most of the 4 Northern professional AFL Clubs, in what the game is all about - playing our game, proud and without compromise.
I'm with you BB. Go Aspley for the big dance.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No point arguing with you BB - you are deluded and brain washed by the love of the brown and gold it seems. "A touch tainted"??? The master of understatement I would say there. You guys played a kid who did not play 1 game of footy for you this year!!! What other comp in Australia would allow this??? You are playing a 3 week finals system with 6 teams!! You have a side with basically 15-18 1st round draft picks in it get pole axed on the weekend! You have the gall to suggest that guys like Leon Cameron, John Longmire, should have their accreditation pulled bc they don't rate the reserves comp (trust me, the head coach would be calling the shots, not the 2's coach as to who does / does not play).

You can get excited about winning this comp and I'm sure the eventual premier will but its an exhibition comp, pure and simple. One with no rules as to who can / can't play and basically once the season is done, lets get this show finished asap so the key stake holders can go on their end of season trips and prepare for 2016.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And you question whether lappin / Fraser are good enough to play NEAFL - you are seriously kidding yourself. Stiller runs around killing it at NEAFL level and was half the player either one of these guys was. Maybe, just maybe, put your thinking cap on and understand that the AFL reserves teams don't want list cloggers as they don't need blokes taking the place of guys who potentially might play for the suns one day.

Hornets Nest

Debutant
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No point arguing with you BB - you are deluded and brain washed by the love of the brown and gold it seems. "A touch tainted"??? The master of understatement I would say there. You guys played a kid who did not play 1 game of footy for you this year!!! What other comp in Australia would allow this??? You are playing a 3 week finals system with 6 teams!! You have a side with basically 15-18 1st round draft picks in it get pole axed on the weekend! You have the gall to suggest that guys like Leon Cameron, John Longmire, should have their accreditation pulled bc they don't rate the reserves comp (trust me, the head coach would be calling the shots, not the 2's coach as to who does / does not play).

You can get excited about winning this comp and I'm sure the eventual premier will but its an exhibition comp, pure and simple. One with no rules as to who can / can't play and basically once the season is done, lets get this show finished asap so the key stake holders can go on their end of season trips and prepare for 2016.
He is an Aspley listed player SMY. The club have been trying to pick him all year but have been gazumped by the Lions. They only finally released him from "academy duties" last week. He has qualified based on the games he played for them as would have any other young top up. The same would have applied for, young Hammelman down at Redlands.

Why wouldn't he be picked now he is available?

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
And you question whether lappin / Fraser are good enough to play NEAFL - you are seriously kidding yourself. Stiller runs around killing it at NEAFL level and was half the player either one of these guys was. Maybe, just maybe, put your thinking cap on and understand that the AFL reserves teams don't want list cloggers as they don't need blokes taking the place of guys who potentially might play for the suns one day.

Tainted smy1305, the one thing that is tainted is your opinion of a competition set up by the AFL for the 4 North Eastern AFL Reserve sides who bitched about beating the previous second rate AFLQ and AFLNSW teams by over a 100 points each week. They wanted it (The NEAFL) now at finals time and in the case of the two Qld AFL Reserve sides most of the year, they have proven that they can't compete with the clubs they dragged up to their level - they have proved this, plain and simple. Either start Pi--ing or get off the pot, this will prove to me that they are good enough, until then they as proven are plain and simple just not good enough - Funny that with all of my canning of Gubby Allan for his past cue stacking (I apologise if you read this Gubby), I can tell you that he was fuming on Saturday after the performance that the Giants put in and I would further say that a couple of the poor performers may be looking for another home next year.

You talk of list cloggers - you along with those other uneducated football supporters at the Suns, should be demanding that this club as a starting point, start recruiting players who can at least play at the NEAFL level, as you point out other ex AFL players are killing you while your two ex AFL and other players are picking a state league comp to play in, even Jarrod Brenan and a few other ex Sun's are having a crack at Southport - As you keep pointing out it is a compromised comp - The Suns and Lions (unlike the Swans and GWS) still cant compete with once local suburban football clubs, even when it is stacked in their favour - Soft reserves = Soft Seniors and in Qld's case doesn't this shows up big time, you keep accepting mediocrity and blame every one else for your NEAFL's side poor performances and when we can, we will go on enjoying our finals and eventual Premiership success and counting our flags.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Just out of interest what are the qualifying rules for finals in this comp?? Surely young Hipwood who didn't even play a game for Aspley for the year and played yesterday makes the whole "competition" fairly meaningless. He would have played purely on show casing his ability and ticking a box for recruiters. And thats a good thing that he was allowed to play. I am hoping he goes top 10.
the club has been trying to play him well before the finals. but every time the lions put the kibosh on it

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He is an Aspley listed player SMY. The club have been trying to pick him all year but have been gazumped by the Lions. They only finally released him from "academy duties" last week. He has qualified based on the games he played for them as would have any other young top up. The same would have applied for, young Hammelman down at Redlands.

Why wouldn't he be picked now he is available?

Yeah except those games were played in the same competition vs probably Aspley at some stage... HN, I'm not having a go at Aspley - good luck to them, and certainly not a shot at Hipwood - he is one of my sons best mates - but just the mind set that BB and others have that this comp is the ducks nuts. It serves a purpose to put potential draftees on a stage that allows them to compete at a standard (albeit not as good, but alot better than the old QAFL) that recruiters can draw a line through them vs other blokes from other state leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back