Autopsy Geelong defeat Adelaide by 39 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Have I got that right? You want him to play on with an opposition club to prove that our List Management Group made the wrong decision?

Well its much more important to be right!!! .... and to point it out....

Sad really.

Well I have just handed out more "likes" than I have for a very long time....your just great Cat fans...

I don't think I have enjoyed a game so much for ages....yet found myself crying at times throughout the last quarter. My partner ( she's Swiss ) was worried I had received bad news......not sure she understands....

What a fantastic day....Adelaide really had no chance. GO CATS

they only looked good because there was no pressure. 20% passion, 80% opposition.
They've looked just as 'passionate' against opposition without pressure all year.

I'm not sure about that. After the dreadful start to the year, it seemed like our biggest issue was when we were going to win because it was a game where we had everything to play for and the opposition had virtually nothing to play for. And it was often an inferior opposition at that.

Collingwood (first time), Richmond, Port, Sydney (both times, but especially the second game), Bulldogs, GWS. Those were good wins (or commendable efforts, in the Sydney away game). Melbourne, St Kilda, Collingwood (second time). The ones that conventional wisdom suggested we were going to win and our supporters (and it looked like the players) just expected to be able to turn up to get the job done. Those are the games that cost us a spot in the finals and it was the main difference between 2014 and 2015. We at least won the games that we were supposed to win in 2014 and that's why we were a top four side.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that. After the dreadful start to the year, it seemed like our biggest issue was when we were going to win because it was a game where we had everything to play for and the opposition had virtually nothing to play for. And it was often an inferior opposition at that.

Collingwood (first time), Richmond, Port, Sydney (both times, but especially the second game), Bulldogs, GWS. Those were good wins. Melbourne, St Kilda, Collingwood (second time). The ones that conventional wisdom suggested we were going to win and our supporters (and it looked like the players) just expected to be able to turn up to get the job done. Those are the games that cost us a spot in the finals and it was the main difference between 2014 and 2015. We at least won the games that we were supposed to win in 2014 and that's why we were a top four side.
Agreed about losing the games we should have won but the consistent theme through those games is that the opposition was 'on' and we couldn't handle it. Classic example was melbourne. Shot team but for some reason they ate in that game and geelong didn't know how to handle it.
In the past the cats would have rode the intensity, settled, then established themselves as the better team.

Well I have just handed out more "likes" than I have for a very long time....your just great Cat fans...

I don't think I have enjoyed a game so much for ages....yet found myself crying at times throughout the last quarter. My partner ( she's Swiss ) was worried I had received bad news......not sure she understands....

What a fantastic day....Adelaide really had no chance. GO CATS
:hearts:

How sweet of your partner :hearts: The end of the footy season + Geelong not playing finals is right up there with sadness :( It's going to be a long, long Summer :cry:

Agreed about losing the games we should have won but the consistent theme through those games is that the opposition was 'on' and we couldn't handle it. Classic example was melbourne. Shot team but for some reason they ate in that game and geelong didn't know how to handle it.
In the past the cats would have rode the intensity, settled, then established themselves as the better team.
But then the Sydney game, for Selwood's 250th was a massive game!

I'm actually wondering if today's game was a case of Crows not having much to play for + we just wanted it badly for our retiring veterans ???

Went to the game with my fossil for fathers day, whether it was a combination of the day and the aggressive hangover I was working through it struck me early in the last quarter that it was my last opportunity to see these players doing what they do so well, but I got al misty eyed. I felt more of a connection to the club today, truly witnessing the end of an era, than I had felt since 2007. Bless these players, and bless this club.

I agree, but I think the other theme is that in those games we had plenty to play for and the opposition had nothing to play for in comparison. Which I inferred to be a sign that the team wasn't switched on and just expected it to happen. And someone forgot to tell the Dees, Saints and Pies that they were supposed to just roll over for us.

When we would have expected the opposition to be fired up and desperate for a win (recent games against the Bulldogs, Giants and Swans spring to mind), we were nowhere near as lethargic.

I'm sitting on the couch having a beer, watching the replay and reading on here.

And I just wanted to say today was the perfect tonic for someone who has become disenchanted with the game this year... the last quarter was in a word fun, it brought back enjoyment and the chance to see the boys we all love just enjoying themselves.

I loved the reaction of Stokes kissing the jumper, I love Stevie pumping up the crowd and as he was doing that the entire side lining up at CHF to mob him... I loved the cheeky 1 - 2 with Kelly and Stokes.

This afternoon made me smile, made me tear up, made me laugh and made me cheer..

We haven't had the year we wanted, we have had to say goodbye to some of our premiership heroes but I go into next season already excited and with no idea what to expect.

As Daz says

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lovely vibe to the game all the way through, Geelong as a club and community turned it on for the three retirees, as it should be. And the freedom with which the game was played for the majority was lovely to watch, they should play like that more often. I don know if it was hard to maintain that intensity but it came off as effortless, boundless enthusiasm sometimes.

And for the last time this year, some random thoughts ...
  • Mackie had his best game in forever, vintage stuff from the Mackeral! Long bombing goals, great marks, so many disposals, leadership where needed - where did this come from?! A way to send off his mates? Whatever it was, I loved it.
  • Message to Jake Kolodjashnij: please sign. PLEASE. I'm not above begging. Our defensive unit have so much still to teach you. There's not a better unit to learn off anywhere else, I guarantee it.
  • Cam G and Blitz teamed up well with George, I hope this is a long lasting trio. GHS is finally getting his place in the team now, happy for him. Add in Mitch and Cadds and we're golden.
  • Selsy played his best game in so long, why the hell did the Crows not send someone to do a blanket job on him? Maybe they don't believe in that way of shutting a player down. Well, thank you Mr Camporeale, because he was great to watch. If only other AFL coaches decided to do the same.
  • Was that the most players from the 2009 Draft in the same AFL team we've had in a while? 75%! Vards looked the best and Josh was a happy surprise. If I had any say in it he wouldn't be going anywhere. A defensively-minded midfielder, desperately needed. Menz suffered from the comedown he was always going to have after the buildup and celebrations for his comeback to AFL, can hardly begrudge the boy that. Still, another AFL game! YAY!
  • A major decrease in dodgy hand passes, stupid decisions, flubs in the defensive 50. Made for a much more enjoyable spectacle.
  • Can see why they decided to stick with Jimmy, he was great today.
  • Scoreline was very similar to that of the 2011 GF (119-80). I always feel happy when we get to emulate that, I must be getting overly sentimental in my old age.
  • Had to stand up and give a standing ovation in my living room whenever Stokesy or SJ kicked a goal, like an idiot. it was that crowd man, I could feel the love seeping through the television. So exciting.
  • Battle of the Stevens: while Mots tried to do some magical things, his overall game was very solid and he never went missing for too long. Happy he's signed up again, I think this game was enough evidence to justify whatever the new deal is paying him. BUT: was it ever in doubt that SJ would attempt to try every trick he'd ever thought of today? The goal when he was supine, the left footed torp, the snaps, the marking! It was entertaining to watch, the last true personality in the AFL left. So to you SJ, go the spoils of being the most Steven to Steven in the history of the game. I'll miss you.
  • Strange that even though we're not playing finals, this is the happiest we've finished off a year since 2011. If Steve Hocking's remarks are anything to go by, next year is the start of something new. I can't wait.
So many happy tears
happiness2.gif

Good on them and all, but isn't it just the decent thing to do? It's become as obligatory as shaking hands after a game. They'd look like sooky little brats if they did anything else. Teams do it because everyone else does it, because the cameras are rolling and because the commentators treat it as though it was a John Landy act of sportsmanship.

Very interesting to speak to those old enough to have seen what Landy did too. Some thought it was very noble, sporting etc. Others thought it was naive and ridiculous.

Nice of Adelaide to do what they did, but to me it's a Geelong send-off; if they didn't want to participate it's no big deal.

I will be donating it to 33% the club, 33% rspca and 33% finders fee

Can i have the last 1% if your not using it?

Let me have a guess at the pot:
Found it at the dunny's near the standing room stands, was wads of $50's and some $20's about $500 worth give or take a few trays of beers.
Belongs to either a tradie who was recently paid in cash or a drug dealer - probably very drunk at the game and unaware their wad fell out of their pocket until they went for the last tray of beers late in the 4th quarter when its way to late to buy another tray.

I'm sitting on the couch having a beer, watching the replay and reading on here.

And I just wanted to say today was the perfect tonic for someone who has become disenchanted with the game this year... the last quarter was in a word fun, it brought back enjoyment and the chance to see the boys we all love just enjoying themselves.

I loved the reaction of Stokes kissing the jumper, I love Stevie pumping up the crowd and as he was doing that the entire side lining up at CHF to mob him... I loved the cheeky 1 - 2 with Kelly and Stokes.

This afternoon made me smile, made me tear up, made me laugh and made me cheer..

We haven't had the year we wanted, we have had to say goodbye to some of our premiership heroes but I go into next season already excited and with no idea what to expect.

As Daz says

Go Catters
Great post mate. Going in the sig!

Lovely vibe to the game all the way through, Geelong as a club and community turned it on for the three retirees, as it should be. And the freedom with which the game was played for the majority was lovely to watch, they should play like that more often. I don know if it was hard to maintain that intensity but it came off as effortless, boundless enthusiasm sometimes.

And for the last time this year, some random thoughts ...
  • Mackie had his best game in forever, vintage stuff from the Mackeral! Long bombing goals, great marks, so many disposals, leadership where needed - where did this come from?! A way to send off his mates? Whatever it was, I loved it.
  • Message to Jake Kolodjashnij: please sign. PLEASE. I'm not above begging. Our defensive unit have so much still to teach you. There's not a better unit to learn off anywhere else, I guarantee it.
  • Cam G and Blitz teamed up well with George, I hope this is a long lasting trio. GHS is finally getting his place in the team now, happy for him. Add in Mitch and Cadds and we're golden.
  • Selsy played his best game in so long, why the hell did the Crows not send someone to do a blanket job on him? Maybe they don't believe in that way of shutting a player down. Well, thank you Mr Camporeale, because he was great to watch. If only other AFL coaches decided to do the same.
  • Was that the most players from the 2009 Draft in the same AFL team we've had in a while? 75%! Vards looked the best and Josh was a happy surprise. If I had any say in it he wouldn't be going anywhere. A defensively-minded midfielder, desperately needed. Menz suffered from the comedown he was always going to have after the buildup and celebrations for his comeback to AFL, can hardly begrudge the boy that. Still, another AFL game! YAY!
  • A major decrease in dodgy hand passes, stupid decisions, flubs in the defensive 50. Made for a much more enjoyable spectacle.
  • Can see why they decided to stick with Jimmy, he was great today.
  • Scoreline was very similar to that of the 2011 GF (119-80). I always feel happy when we get to emulate that, I must be getting overly sentimental in my old age.
  • Had to stand up and give a standing ovation in my living room whenever Stokesy or SJ kicked a goal, like an idiot. it was that crowd man, I could feel the love seeping through the television. So exciting.
  • Battle of the Stevens: while Mots tried to do some magical things, his overall game was very solid and he never went missing for too long. Happy he's signed up again, I think this game was enough evidence to justify whatever the new deal is paying him. BUT: was it ever in doubt that SJ would attempt to try every trick he'd ever thought of today? The goal when he was supine, the left footed torp, the snaps, the marking! It was entertaining to watch, the last true personality in the AFL left. So to you SJ, go the spoils of being the most Steven to Steven in the history of the game. I'll miss you.
  • Strange that even though we're not playing finals, this is the happiest we've finished off a year since 2011. If Steve Hocking's remarks are anything to go by, next year is the start of something new. I can't wait.
So many happy tears
happiness2.gif
My day is complete, now that MoneyPenny has posted :hearts: Always look forward to your review game posts :thumbsu: :rainbow:

I've read your post now MP + as always, you lived up to expectations. It's always wonderful to read inspiring, uplifting posts. Thanks to you, I've gone from

pinkie-tears.gif

to

MziKDo6gO7x8A.gif

Can't tell you what a kick I get from your observations, so you deserve a unicorn

Ksc5u4FuRjzWM.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back