Analysis Lloyd on Hawkins - "shed up to five kilograms"

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
For those who aren't Fairfaxophiles, Matty Lloyd wrote an interesting piece about the change in the role of the big forward, and how the big Tomahawk in particular might have to adapt to modern footy.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...a-big-deal-with-forwards-20150904-gjfhm7.html

To take a few choice quotes:

"The 1995-2005 era would have suited Hawkins, Patton and Boyd much more than today's game. Hawkins has been a wonderful player for Geelong, but as the Cats have started to decline and the role of a key forward continues to evolve, the game no longer suits players of his physical make-up.

He needs to tailor his upcoming preseason to a program that sees him shed up to five kilograms and focus heavily on his endurance, speed and agility. If he doesn't, he could become a liability for Geelong because he can't cover the territory that is now being asked of him."

Essentially, I agree with Lloyd. Hawkins has looked so immobile, and I don't know whether it's his back or his bulk, but I would love to see him get on his bike and hunt the footy more. The lack of mobility and dynamism in his game is also such a factor with clubs killing him the other way - it would just be great to see him able to change direction again.

I kind of agree - but don't think it's that bad. Hawkins is pretty much double teamed every week - we just haven't had the personnel to make use of that. Vardy, formerly Clark, and to a less extent Walker have began to show the value of Tummy. Our ball movement forward has been s**t and slow and that hasn't helped Tom make leads.

That said, I don't think him being a bit more mobile and lighter is going to do him any harm. There is no player (maybe Lake) who can take him be that at 105kg or 100kg.

Yeah tend to agree in principle, it's a question that should be posed to Scott and Hawkins publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They talked about this on Footy Classified last Monday. Showed selective vision to prove their point....but (for all we know) maybe he is carrying some injury that was restricting his movement.

If he did drop some weight though it may help with his back issues too.

I still dunno - I feel like at that weight 5 kilos isnt really much.

I kind of agree - but don't think it's that bad. Hawkins is pretty much double teamed every week - we just haven't had the personnel to make use of that. Vardy, formerly Clark, and to a less extent Walker have began to show the value of Tummy. Our ball movement forward has been s**t and slow and that hasn't helped Tom make leads.

That said, I don't think him being a bit more mobile and lighter is going to do him any harm. There is no player (maybe Lake) who can take him be that at 105kg or 100kg.

100% agree. Especially with the part you highlighted. We've butchered the ball way to often going forward of late. Today was much better but the Collinwood and St Kilda games were terrible. Also think it was an Achilles heel for most of the year.

But like you've said 5kg for Hawk will free him up a bit but will also allow him to continue to be the 1on1 beast that he is.

I would like to see him do this more so because I think Walker will greatly benefit from being the one that plays out of the square. Shedding some weight will allow the team to be more flexible with our structures. Meaning he can be our lead up CHF when Walker is on the ground but then can push back into the FF position when Vardy/Clark/ Stanley rest up at CHF.

Instantly makes us more dangerous up forward imo

I think Walker will greatly benefit from being the one that plays out of the square. Shedding some weight will allow the team to be more flexible with our structures. Meaning he can be our lead up CHF when Walker is on the ground but then can push back into the FF position when Vardy/Clark/ Stanley rest up at CHF.
Great point. The problem with Thomas is that he gets caught wrestling 30 meters out so if the ball hits the deck it's easier for defenders to clear it. On the other-hand, Walker is often in the goal square so when the ball hits the deck it's on like Donkey Kong.

As others have said, I think Vardy will be a big part of this conversation next year. He's a mischief maker. Always getting to the right spots and getting dem goalz.

We know what happened when Samson's wench cut his hair. Shut up Lloyd - your advice hasn't helped Essendone.:rolleyes:
No other team can find anyone like Tomahawk who uses his weight to advantage.
Besides he didn't look too slow down the wing with the pass to Vardy.

He's never going to be one of those athletic mobile forwards his ass is too big, why ruin his main advantage.

They talked about this on Footy Classified last Monday. Showed selective vision to prove their point....but (for all we know) maybe he is carrying some injury that was restricting his movement.

If he did drop some weight though it may help with his back issues too.
I think he already lost some weight over last preseason- as did many of our boys who played a bit leaner this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's never going to be one of those athletic mobile forwards his ass is too big, why ruin his main advantage.
what's his big donkey got to do with anything, 10lana? ;)
Profanity_ASS_condensed.png

Great point. The problem with Thomas is that he gets caught wrestling 30 meters out so if the ball hits the deck it's easier for defenders to clear it. On the other-hand, Walker is often in the goal square so when the ball hits the deck it's on like Donkey Kong.

As others have said, I think Vardy will be a big part of this conversation next year. He's a mischief maker. Always getting to the right spots and getting dem goalz.
vardy was very sneaky today, wasn't he? :D I loved it!

'the game has gone past'... not sure how good matty would have held up in the 80s... - hawkins isn't an athlete like franklin - how many 'chaos' balls did you mark lloyd? - he lost his mother this season... i think about that and i cant deal with it....

Lloyd would have kicked bag after bag in the 80s. The soft tag is completely overblown and he would have had a field day with all that space to lead into.

Lloyd would have kicked bag after bag in the 80s. The soft tag is completely overblown and he would have had a field day with all that space to lead into.
so hawkins wouldn't in that sort of open play? my 80s reference was body on body and it holds up ever more today with zonal play as opposed to man on man... and this isn't an a shot at lloyd's ability, but it is just a garbage comment... if that quote is correct?

so hawkins wouldn't in that sort of open play? my 80s reference was body on body and it holds up ever more today with zonal play as opposed to man on man... and this isn't an a shot at lloyd's ability, but it is just a garbage comment... if that quote is correct?

No doubt Hawk would be effective. Was merely saying that Lloyd would too because open play is as conducive to leading as it is to one-out wrestilng.

As for the comment, in view of what Tom's been through this year it was unnecessary of Lloyd to say something so pointed, if that is indeed what he said. But I personally think that there is an element of truth to it, in the sense that he will not get the best out of himself if he doesn't make some changes. His one-on-one dominance will keep him relevant despite congestion, however he simply won't get enough opportunities to be a dominant factor. Then there is the issue of forward pressure.

I disagree.

Tom is a power forward - with the emphahsis on power. His combination of size and skill is what makes him rare in today's game. If you take away his biggest advantage (his brute strength) what does he become? Drew Petrie?

Drew Petrie is a nice player, but I prefer Hulk Hawkins thanks.

Would only shed the kilos if it helps his back and previous foot injury.

He will never be a franklin type running around everywhere, his previous injuries has slowed him down some.

A better midfield and better use of the ball will decrease the pressure on Tom.

I'm sure the club will be working hard on both issues over the pre season.

Im not sure on my thoughts. Our poor ball movement certainly makes it hard to judge. Our issues this year haven't been because hawkins has been bad. Having a firing ruckman and winning some easier clearances, not giving oppposition time to shut hawk down would certainly help.

Having said that, we rarely see hawk take a leaping mark. It may be a lack of space but he use to do it quite a bit. I remember him leaping with little room at all between a pack of hawks in round 1 2012 i think? He always seems to go for the body on body which makes it so easy for 2nd defender to come in from the side and pick it off. Its not dynamic enough.

I also remember hawk marking up the ground more often. I understand the need/want to have him deep but I swear in the 2011 granny he was outmarking reid up on the wing as well as deep. Maybe getting fitter would allow him too, i think it could help our ball movement too. Its so hard to get clear possession through the middle but a big free roaming hawk may be able to take a few clunks and if not he would draw a few opposition players which should free things up somewhere.

Better ball movement would help him but i think a fitter hawk isnt a bad thing.

Can he even jump properly anymore due to his injuries?

Considering an early foot issue which force him to change how he runs/walk and jump , combine that with his recent back injury?

I don't know if fitness will help him in those areas?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back