News Billy Frampton signs with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Very impressed with what I have seen of him so far. Considering he has only played half the year so far too!! Quite amazing he has shown so much, so quickly. He looks to be a great find & a steal at our pick ... love his mindset & aggression ... you cant teach that!!

Do not give him a game unless we have to.

He is not up to AFL standard yet although he is showing a lot of qualities that can excite.

Exposing him at AFL level will only get the opportunity to see him get exposed and confidence damaged. He needs to be able to run a game out as the number one ruck at sanfl level before exposing him to AFL tempo footy. The kid would compete for 15 minutes and then physically be know wehere for the rest of the game.

He can get AFL exposure through the trial games next year.

I don't think I have been as pleasantly surprised with a draft pick for some time now. Wines & Wingard - we knew they would be good but this guy has something about him that just getting bigger and better with nearly every outing.

Watched him train a little over the summer, watched him in the competitive stuff at training, seen a few of his games in the SANFL. Only thing stopping him is injury IMO.

I don't see him as a forward. He's a ruckman if I have ever seen one. He'll bash and crash, he'll take a few grabs, his tap work will continue to get better and he'll play his part very well but he will also lead from the front. That's what I like the most. He will set the standard right from the get go and he thrives on it too!!

Can't teach that, that in itself is worth so much.

He is good at marking the ball.

True I'd also like to say
He is good at marking the ball
In all seriousness Lobbe can't mark he's proved it over a long time and as much as Ken likes him all I'd say to Ken
The club's future doesn't always depend on your loyalty to our VC. Get over the fact he's a great guy.
This is not a sheltered workshop we strive to be the best we can and Lobbe is not part of this journey in the long term.

Do not give him a game unless we have to.

He is not up to AFL standard yet although he is showing a lot of qualities that can excite.

Exposing him at AFL level will only get the opportunity to see him get exposed and confidence damaged. He needs to be able to run a game out as the number one ruck at sanfl level before exposing him to AFL tempo footy. The kid would compete for 15 minutes and then physically be know wehere for the rest of the game.

He can get AFL exposure through the trial games next year.
I follow Mish blindly with all things draft and young player related.

Bow down all.

What was the knock on him in the draft that saw him slide so deep?

Also he had injury concerns. He missed the first part of the year with his shins.

I was excited to see him in action against Glenelg. He's going to be a talent. However I don't think we should play him this year.

Next year we may need to play him esp if Ryder is WADA'd out of the game. If the sub rule goes out the window, we may see the return of 2 ruckmen, so he'd be in line for games then.

Ideally we'd keep him in the Magpies until 2017. Ruckmen take time to develop. We may have to rush him though.

Also he had injury concerns. He missed the first part of the year with his shins.

I was excited to see him in action against Glenelg. He's going to be a talent. However I don't think we should play him this year.

Next year we may need to play him esp if Ryder is WADA'd out of the game. If the sub rule goes out the window, we may see the return of 2 ruckmen, so he'd be in line for games then.

Ideally we'd keep him in the Magpies until 2017. Ruckmen take time to develop. We may have to rush him though.

i rememer reading that he didnt really impress too much in the champs and that was a chance of not being drafted at all. Great to hear he is doiing so well .

From the Maggies games of seen Frampton is the most exciting of the sub 21 year old players. I also really like Logan Austin.
I'd like to see Billy play at least one game. It will give him a taste and he'll crave another all pre-season.

Frampton,Palmer,Howard,Austin all :D's and :thumbsu:'s
Throw in AhChee Impey Amon and what's not to like.
My fear is that Ken will be stubborn with selections and eventually we may lose some of them

As I have said before, the 3 talls taken at last year's draft have all shown something ( particularly given how late they were taken ), but no way should any of them play AFL footy this season.

They may get a taste in next year's preseason comp, but I expect that a taste is all it will be, and none of them will be seriously considered for regular senior footy before at least 2017.

As I have said before, the 3 talls taken at last year's draft have all shown something ( particularly given how late they were taken ), but no way should any of them play AFL footy this season.

They may get a taste in next year's preseason comp, but I expect that a taste is all it will be, and none of them will be seriously considered for regular senior footy before at least 2017.

It's cruel to bump a thread like this minutes before team selection '54 :(

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was surprised when I looked at the stats and saw that Billy Frampton only had 4 touches and 2 goals. He seemed around the ball a lot and although he only took 2 marks(both of which resulted in goals) he also fed off a great handball to Butcher and had him running into goal. Backed up Redden in the ruck, which was one of the few places where we beat Centrals.

Was surprised when I looked at the stats and saw that Billy Frampton only had 4 touches and 2 goals. He seemed around the ball a lot and although he only took 2 marks(both of which resulted in goals) he also fed off a great handball to Butcher and had him running into goal. Backed up Redden in the ruck, which was one of the few places where we beat Centrals.

He had a couple of Ryder-like taps which resulted in clean clearances too.

The boy has something and I like it.

We all know that big men take longer to mature. Billy Frampton is nowhere near starting next year and may get a couple of games in 2017 if he is lucky. But even if he has a pretty nondescript 2016 he is someone to persevere with and I would say should be at least a minimum of 4 years on our list. Today's game suggested that he could play the kind of ruck/forward role that Sydney recruited Tippett for.

I'm bullish about Frampton's prospects and wouldn't be at all surprised to see him knocking on the door for selection as early as next year.

He's tall and athletic and has a bit of X-factor. His borderline aggression is great to see and is a point of difference in the modern footballer. Can play forward and present a target and is looking solid in the ruck.

He has already put on some bulk this season and will be even more physically equipped next year. It's not too often 18yo's straight out of the under age system can go into a league side and earn their spot which he did this year. And that's after missing the first half of the year with injury.

Anyone that disagrees can go and talk it over with him in the car park. :p

Billy Frampton moves much like Darren Smith, as I’ve said on the Magpies podcast in the past, and has shown a heap of potential this year. Recruited from South Fremantle with our last pick, 84 in the most recent NAB AFL Draft, Frampton, a 199cm ruckman/forward joined the club suffering from compartment syndrome in his shin. He had surgery to rectify the issue in December and took time to recover on a modified rehabilitation program.

Since he resumed playing in the second half of the year he has impressed all Magpies supporters with his aggression at the ball and the ball carrier and for his appetite for the contest. As Tim Ginever said, “he is a very good competitor for a young man.” He is athletic and regularly flies the flag offering protection for his team mates. He has provided good support to Redden in the ruck with his standout return being the 32 hit outs against Centrals in the minor round.

It is at the goal front where he has impressed most, presenting well, marking strongly and kicking, in the main accurately, demonstrated by scoring 2 crucial goals in both Sunday’s final and in the last game against Glenelg. That reflex handball to set up Butcher’s third goal shows his unselfishness and footy smarts. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Billy played some AFL football next season.

Last edited:
Billy Frampton moves much like Darren Smith, as I’ve said on the Magpies podcast in the past, and has shown a heap of potential this year. Recruited from South Fremantle with our last pick, 84 in the most recent NAB AFL Draft, Frampton, a 199cm ruckman/forward joined the club suffering from compartment syndrome in his shin. He had surgery to rectify the issue in December and took time to recover on a modified rehabilitation program.

Since he resumed playing in the second half of the year he has impressed all Magpies supporters with his aggression at the ball and the ball carrier and for his appetite for the contest. As Tim Ginever said, “he is a very good competitor for a young man.” He is athletic and regularly flies the flag offering support and protection for his team mates. He has provided good support to Redden in the ruck with his standout return being the 32 hit outs against Centrals in the minor round.

It is at the goal front where he has impressed most, presenting well, marking strongly and kicking, in the main accurately, demonstrated by scoring 2 crucial goals in both Sunday’s final and in the last game against Glenelg. That reflex handball to set up Butcher’s third goal shows his unselfishness and footy smarts. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Billy played some AFL football next season.

That is a great report sound like someone this club could do with imo, we need all the quality we can muster.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Billy played some AFL football next season.

Bookmark it. Gave your post a like cos agree with what you've said. Billy Frampton could end up a VERY good pick for us.
Might have to watch his temper. Don't lose the fire Billy just grow a longer fuse. If WADA come down on Paddy(& Gus)...there's Frampton.
If Lobbes doesn't/can't pull his socks up ...there's Frampton. A wild child from the Wild West. A Cult figure in the making :D.

..... Billy Frampton could end up a VERY good pick for us .....
You know he's my current pick of the crop, from when we've stood together at Alberton watching the Maggies. Had to say it, so I could point back at this post in future years.

Originally Posted by Macca19

#38 BILLY FRAMPTON

412072.jpg

SANFL Stats (Ave):

Games: 11

Disposals: 8

Marks: 3

Goals: 9

Notes:

After a long injury layoff to start his debut season at the club, Billy Framptons SANFL debut was worth the wait. He took 5 strong grabs and kicked 2 goals playing up forward in Round 9 to start his season with a bang. Whilst his form wavered throughout the year, Billy showed a lot of potential playing both as a key forward and in the ruck. His strong contested marking was a highlight, as was his love of the niggle. He ended the season kicking 9 goals for the year including a decent finals series as well. As the third and final ruckman in our squad for 2016, the club will be hoping illy continues to improve to become a viable AFL backup throughout the season.

There we go....haven't seen this boy play in person but feel he will get his go in 2016. Great news now is there anyone left to sign up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back