HDFL 2015!

Remove this Banner Ad

they may do like they did when Jeparit rainbow first came in the teams that a futherest away play SMG once away and next year @Home and sides close play twice
and coming from the Mallee i rfemeber when Southern and Northern Mallee Merged and we thought it was a long way to Underbool Manangatang and Ouyen & Sea Lake after first 1 or 2 trips to each it was a good trip always good to play new opposition gives the league a breath of fresh air :)

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see. Still got a long time for the league to work it all out nicely before the start of the season.

It'll be interesting to see. Still got a long time for the league to work it all out nicely before the start of the season.
that would be the simplist nothing they can do about the travel unless they merge wimmera and HDFL and have 2 divisions

that would be the simplist nothing they can do about the travel unless they merge wimmera and HDFL and have 2 divisions
I personally think that's the way they have to go eventually; although I admit it's not a popular idea and it would be hard to implement.

AFL Wimmera Mallee have released the player points for each club for next season and also an estimated value for the salary cap for the 2017 season. I think the points are fairly high and I wouldn't think any club would be close to their cap. I can't see how it is fair that they plan to have a salary cap difference of $40,000 between clubs in the same league. What are your thoughts on these figures?

Laharum: 36 points, $90000
Kalkee: 38 points, $90000
Harrow Balmoral: 38 points, $110000
Taylors Lake: 38 points, $100000
Jeparit Rainbow: 42 points, $130000
Swifts: 38 points, $100000
Edenhope Apsley: 40 points, $100000
Noradjuha Quantong: 38 points, $100000
Rupanyup: 40 points, $120000
Pimpinio: 40 points, $110000
Natimuk United: 40 points, $110000
Southern Mallee Giants: 38 points, $120000

Why are there different points/salary cap? Is it to do with ladder positions? With the lower teams allowed more so they can recruit a higher point value player?

All about trying to even up the comp

Aren't they already achieving that by unbalancing the draw so that the top teams play the top teams twice and the bottom teams play the bottom teams twice? I understand that the lower teams may need more cash available to attract better players but surely we can go back to a completely random draw since we will be using other forms of equalisation.

BELMONT LIONS FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE GDFL (GEELONG) ARE LOOKING FOR A SENIOR COACH IN 2016 PLAYING OR NON PLAYING,WILL BE ADVERTISED IN THE GEELONG ADVERTISER 10/10

thoughts on E/A signing Michael Rowe as coach? Surely a blow for the Horsham Saints and a coup for the other Saints.

And some other great signings as well. Chris Oliver & Jak Ryan are off the back of winning the Western Border 2015 flag, Oliver is a gun and Jak Ryan kicked 25 goals for South Gambier this season whilst Keeping Addison Milner is only going to help. Surely the Saints move upwards next season.

Aren't they already achieving that by unbalancing the draw so that the top teams play the top teams twice and the bottom teams play the bottom teams twice? I understand that the lower teams may need more cash available to attract better players but surely we can go back to a completely random draw since we will be using other forms of equalisation.
being 12 teams next year means everyone will play each other twice

being 12 teams next year means everyone will play each other twice

I've hot some fairly strong doubts that we'd play everyone twice. The season has been 18 rounds since at least 2009; and in the years where there were an odd number of teams ('09, '10, '15) we have played 16 games and had 2 byes each.

I can't see how with 12 teams we can fit 22 rounds into the season. Especially when you consider that there's also interleague weekend to allow for as well as the prospect of a split round like we have had in recent seasons with an even number of teams. It just won't fit. It'll be an incomplete draw, the question is whether it'll be an unbalanced/biased draw.

I've hot some fairly strong doubts that we'd play everyone twice. The season has been 18 rounds since at least 2009; and in the years where there were an odd number of teams ('09, '10, '15) we have played 16 games and had 2 byes each.

I can't see how with 12 teams we can fit 22 rounds into the season. Especially when you consider that there's also interleague weekend to allow for as well as the prospect of a split round like we have had in recent seasons with an even number of teams. It just won't fit. It'll be an incomplete draw, the question is whether it'll be an unbalanced/biased draw.

Clubs to play SMG Once Edenhope apley, Harrow Balmoral and maby Stawell swifts, twice Pimp Natimuk, Rup, JR. Kalkee, Laharum, Taylors Lake, Noradjuah Quantong, i saw Alberton fl 12 team comp first 2 rounds 2 teams in both rounds had a bye but they play 19 rounds so could be similar in HDFL

Clubs to play SMG Once Edenhope apley, Harrow Balmoral and maby Stawell swifts, twice Pimp Natimuk, Rup, JR. Kalkee, Laharum, Taylors Lake, Noradjuah Quantong, i saw Alberton fl 12 team comp first 2 rounds 2 teams in both rounds had a bye but they play 19 rounds so could be similar in HDFL

I don't like the idea of any fixed elements to the draw. I feel that it should be completely random so that it doesn't benefit anyone in particular on purpose. Hence the expression, "luck of the draw". SMG wanted to join the league; that's fine. But they can't be requesting to only play particular teams once of twice even if it's based on geography and not strength of the teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard Rupanyup have approached Stawell Warriors to merge for next season.

Sounds like they are really battling to field 2 sides.

I've heard Rupanyup have approached Stawell Warriors to merge for next season.

Sounds like they are really battling to field 2 sides.
i think they be better off merging with Minyip Murtoa. and stawell swifts merge with Wfl club Stawell make more sense
i remember years ago when rup was going to merger with minyup murtoa closer travel for 1

i think they be better off merging with Minyip Murtoa. and stawell swifts merge with Wfl club Stawell make more sense
i remember years ago when rup was going to merger with minyup murtoa closer travel for 1
Yeah true. Don't Rup currently play cricket with Minyip as a merged side? I could be wrong about that though.

And really, Stawell should be able to field two sides on their own, at least for a little while longer.

Yeah true. Don't Rup currently play cricket with Minyip as a merged side? I could be wrong about that though.

And really, Stawell should be able to field two sides on their own, at least for a little while longer.

Stawell haven't shown any interest in the merger talks apparently. Rup initiated it, sounds like they are in a lot of trouble. They probably have already spoke minyup murtoa.

I can't see what Rupanyup could offer a club like those. Maybe they have money? I'd imagine they would just have to shut the doors rather than merge with anyone when they can no longer field teams

Stawell haven't shown any interest in the merger talks apparently. Rup initiated it, sounds like they are in a lot of trouble. They probably have already spoke minyup murtoa.

I can't see what Rupanyup could offer a club like those. Maybe they have money? I'd imagine they would just have to shut the doors rather than merge with anyone when they can no longer field teams
Yeah Stawell are fairly successful and MM in particular are looking the goods at the moment, so probably not much either team would get other than possibly a few players and maybe a small boost in cash. They might become one of the sides to disappear completely, which would be a shame as they were a real powerhouse in the 90s and early 2000s.

They wouldn't have spoken to MM, there's too many stubborn 'oldies' who can't see the writing on the wall. Good to see the old rivalry hasn't died...

Horsham district will have a top 6 in 2016 read it on mail times website

make sense 12 teams and 6 is half of 12 central Highlands has a top 8 due to having 18 clubs
its going to be an interesting year
Final six will create interest, but format they have gone for is same as AFL tossed out after a couple of seasons as it gave all the advantages to 2nd and 6th teams and took away any reward for 3rd place. In theory 3 should beat 6, but if you go back to when AFL had final six it often didn't happen, perhaps the system used in Ballarat league where 1 plays 2 in a qualifying final in first week of finals in addition to the 2 elimination finals may be worth considering.

Interesting year is right. I was wondering who was going to drop from the five if the Giants were to make it in, but now that won't be an issue. At a guess, I'd say the top five from last year plus Giants will play finals, but there might be a bit of a shake up in the order and a lot of close matches hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back