Windows 10: General Comments/Positives/Gripes etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure it'll only automatically update drivers if you're using the built in ones and they release a newer version, from what I've seen it won't see your nvidia/ATI video drivers and go "PFFT mine are better" and overwrite them.

Many thanks for your reply dav3. I'm glad to hear that the video drivers are not updated automatically. Sometimes a new driver can break a game, so the gamer must have the option to rollback the driver to a previous version without Windows constantly replacing it with something newer.

On another subject I have read that even if you turn off all the data collection that Microsoft has included in Win10, the OS still phones home. MS have not specified what data it is collecting from people whether they want it or not. I am getting my information from this article below:
http://thehackernews.com/2015/09/windows10-spying.html

Does anyone have more up-to-date/accurate information on the privacy of Win10?

Many thanks for your reply dav3. I'm glad to hear that the video drivers are not updated automatically. Sometimes a new driver can break a game, so the gamer must have the option to rollback the driver to a previous version without Windows constantly replacing it with something newer.

On another subject I have read that even if you turn off all the data collection that Microsoft has included in Win10, the OS still phones home. MS have not specified what data it is collecting from people whether they want it or not. I am getting my information from this article below:
http://thehackernews.com/2015/09/windows10-spying.html

Does anyone have more up-to-date/accurate information on the privacy of Win10?

An article on it
Discussion on it
Tin foil hat wearers guide to completely blocking Microsoft

I doubt it's anything too malicious, and nothing countless other companies don't already do in their hardware/software. People always freak out when something like this becomes public, 99.9% of the time it's nothing.

An article on it
Discussion on it
Tin foil hat wearers guide to completely blocking Microsoft

I doubt it's anything too malicious, and nothing countless other companies don't already do in their hardware/software. People always freak out when something like this becomes public, 99.9% of the time it's nothing.

Thanks again dav3. Your information was exactly what I was after. I'm going to resist, for the moment, the nagging from MS for me to install Win10.
I am going to be a coward and let the early adopters sort out all the privacy issues. Does anyone know when Win10 will no longer be free? Until then, pass me my tin foil hat.

Thanks again dav3. Your information was exactly what I was after. I'm going to resist, for the moment, the nagging from MS for me to install Win10.
I am going to be a coward and let the early adopters sort out all the privacy issues. Does anyone know when Win10 will no longer be free? Until then, pass me my tin foil hat.

The "free upgrade" offer apparently lasts for 12 months from the initial release date (requires a legit licensed version of Windows 7/8/8.1)

Windows 10's growth slows dramatically
The previous set of usage figures released by analysis firm NetMarketShare showed users were upgrading to Windows 10 at an impressive rate. In August -- the first full month of availability for the new OS -- Windows 10 went from 0.39 percent to 5.21 percent share, leapfrogging Windows 8 (but not Windows 8.1) in the process.

Given how easy it is for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to upgrade to the new OS (the files get downloaded onto your hard drive in preparation), and the fact it’s free to those users too, you would no doubt have expected this pace to continue in September, maybe even accelerate a little. Unfortunately for Microsoft, interest in Windows 10 appears to have actually waned considerably in that month.
September
Windows 10 +1.42%
Windows 8.1 -0.67%
Windows 8 +0.04%
Windows 7 -1.14%
Windows XP +0.07%

http://betanews.com/2015/10/01/windows-10s-growth-slows-dramatically/

Windows 10's growth slows dramatically

September
Windows 10 +1.42%
Windows 8.1 -0.67%
Windows 8 +0.04%
Windows 7 -1.14%
Windows XP +0.07%

http://betanews.com/2015/10/01/windows-10s-growth-slows-dramatically/

Eh........ a lot of people don't know/care about the upgrade, and some will be over-cautious and wait till the end. There will also be the people who live off a small data cap on a 3G/4G device and aren't capable of upgrading their device without paying a fair bit in data.

Corporates are a huge market too. Plenty of organizations have probably only just upgraded to Windows 7/8 (mainly due to MS dropping XP support), most couldn't be bothered planning another rollout this early.

Liking it for the most part so far.

Had a few issues with some applications such as Dreamweaver (wouldn't load), and also had an issue with sending new emails from Outlook at one stage. Oh, and I use a lot of VPNs so was having issues setting up new VPNs and turning the default gateway off from being the remote gateway ... all resolved now though. Meant I had something to write about for my blog at least.

My Asus laptop hasn't been terribly happy with it though (I went all in and upgraded work PC, home PC, and home laptop) so finally, as of tonight, reverting the laptop to Windows 7. It shipped with Windows 8 so should be a bit of fun and games there. :)

Actually what I do find a little odd is that there seems to be inconsistent UI experiences. Where some of the windows are in the new UI style, and some in the old.

It's also a bit funky how when you want to do something like, make something other that Edge the default browser for example, when you start up something like Opera / Firefox / Chrome and asks if you want to make it the default, you then get told you can't and have to go through Settings.

Same with even connecting to a VPN. Click on your network icon, see a list of VPNs. Click one, it opens up the Settings page and you have to click the VPN again, and then Connect. These are more just minor UI gripes than functional issues mind you ...

Hey Everyone

Been running Windows 10 for the past two days, and besides two very slight tweaks, I'm very happy with it. Miles better than Windows 8.1 (which I was a fan of).

Anyone else running Windows 10? And if so, how's your experience been so far? Anything you've tweaked/changed? Or anything you wish you could change to make it just that tiny bit better?

So far for me, I've reduced the Cortana search bar to an icon, and changed the login screen to a solid colour. That's really about it. Super pleased.

Downloaded today after waiting around 3 weeks for gates to tell me I could.

Download went smoothly enough and things appear to work OK.

One thing for those who have not yet downloaded Windows 10, have your Microsoft account password handy because despite switching the password logon off in Windows 8.1 I was locked out in Windows 10 after the computer went to 'sleep' mode. If like me you never use a password you may have trouble remembering it. I was locked out during the computer's power down or sleep function and could not get in by restart. When I switched the system off it started up without the need for an account password.

To switch your password off at start up in W10, right click the windows icon, select Run then type netplwiz. Follow the prompts and uncheck the users password box then select Apply. You will be prompted to enter your password and re type it. This will not switch of the password for a restart after the computer goes into sleep mode.

To switch off the password on restart after the computer has gone into 'sleep' mode you go to Settings, Accounts, Sign in Options, and select Never as the Sign In Option. It took me some time to get to this solution.

I have switched Cortana off altogether. It did not really tell me anything I could not find out for myself and when you download W10 you are told that Cortana has tracking capabilities.

Last edited:
I don't know if you guys experience the same thing but it happens on my gaming rig as well as my laptop. I can always tell when Windows 10 has done an auto update because games or programs i am running after the update is done, start to play up, like chugging as if i was having fps issues which i know is impossible as i have 2 titan's etc. When it happens, i close out of the game, restart the system and it updates, and then im all good again.

Anyone experience similar and if so, is there a fix ?

I downloaded the W10 when i got the go ahead and found that i hated it, it moved everything around on me and i found myself going " where's this gone, why is this there now " i also found it to be more suited to a touchscreen than a PC to be honest, i gave it 2 days before i uninstalled it and reverted back to my original windows setup where things were in the spots where i put them and for someone who is a simpleton i dont need windows 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I downloaded the W10 when i got the go ahead and found that i hated it, it moved everything around on me and i found myself going " where's this gone, why is this there now " i also found it to be more suited to a touchscreen than a PC to be honest, i gave it 2 days before i uninstalled it and reverted back to my original windows setup where things were in the spots where i put them and for someone who is a simpleton i dont need windows 10.

That is interesting because Microsoft developed Windows 10 in response to complaints about the Windows 8 and 8.1 Touch Screen capability which featured a Start Screen among other radical changes. I guess a lot depends on what OS you are updating from. I moved from 8.1 to W10 so perhaps the move was not as dramatic as moving from Windows 7. I know when I first moved from W7 to W8.1 it was a big leap so i can empathise with your situation.

The problem is that despite the reliability an older Windows version, sometime down the track Microsoft will switch of support for it, there will be no updates etc. for some people no updates might be a good thing. Sooner or later you have to move on. The trick is not to move too quickly. I have been lucky going from Windows 98 to Windows XP then Windows 7 then Windows 8.1. These were all pretty good unlike Millenium, Vista and Windows 8 which all had their teething problems.

I am pretty sure Windows 8 was the modern version of Vista and Windows 10 is the new Windows 7.

That is interesting because Microsoft developed Windows 10 in response to complaints about the Windows 8 and 8.1 Touch Screen capability which featured a Start Screen among other radical changes. I guess a lot depends on what OS you are updating from. I moved from 8.1 to W10 so perhaps the move was not as dramatic as moving from Windows 7. I know when I first moved from W7 to W8.1 it was a big leap so i can empathise with your situation.

The problem is that despite the reliability an older Windows version, sometime down the track Microsoft will switch of support for it, there will be no updates etc. for some people no updates might be a good thing. Sooner or later you have to move on. The trick is not to move too quickly. I have been lucky going from Windows 98 to Windows XP then Windows 7 then Windows 8.1. These were all pretty good unlike Millenium, Vista and Windows 8 which all had their teething problems.

I am pretty sure Windows 8 was the modern version of Vista and Windows 10 is the new Windows 7.
I was a W7 then went to W8 and i had problems afterwards, but it came good after they were resolved but the W10 was just insane with how it un-organised the way i had things set up, it took away some of my shortcuts, took away some of my bookmarks and grouped them with other things, it was just too frustrating so i reverted back to W8 where i was more comfortable.

I was a W7 then went to W8 and i had problems afterwards, but it came good after they were resolved but the W10 was just insane with how it un-organised the way i had things set up, it took away some of my shortcuts, took away some of my bookmarks and grouped them with other things, it was just too frustrating so i reverted back to W8 where i was more comfortable.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the start menu and the way it sorts shortcuts, but it's a relatively minor issue that'll probably get fixed in a service pack, and I rarely use it anyway. I don't know why it would change your bookmarks though unless you had them in some weird location.

You may as well get used to Windows 10, it sounds like it'll be around for quite a while.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the start menu and the way it sorts shortcuts, but it's a relatively minor issue that'll probably get fixed in a service pack, and I rarely use it anyway. I don't know why it would change your bookmarks though unless you had them in some weird location.

You may as well get used to Windows 10, it sounds like it'll be around for quite a while.
In all honesty, i don't really need W10. I'm not that fussed over technology. I'll try something and if i dont like it i wont use it again.

I found an issue where after a full shut down, I'll lose WiFi on nxt start up.
There must be a fix for that. Do what I do- Google it in and read all the responses carefully. Just make sure you don't get some jerk who thinks they have a solution.

Since downloading W10 I have started to use Edge as a browser and have been quietly impressed. I have had issues with Chrome lately and wonder if Gates is not being smart. Would it be beyond the realms of possibility for MS to include a few tweaks that affect other browsers just to make theirs look superior ? Maybe not.

There must be a fix for that. Do what I do- Google it in and read all the responses carefully. Just make sure you don't get some jerk who thinks they have a solution.

Since downloading W10 I have started to use Edge as a browser and have been quietly impressed. I have had issues with Chrome lately and wonder if Gates is not being smart. Would it be beyond the realms of possibility for MS to include a few tweaks that affect other browsers just to make theirs look superior ? Maybe not.

Google have been dropping the ball on Chrome for a while, I doubt it's Microsoft "tweaking" things.

Three weeks since I downloaded W10. Have yet to find what is so mind bogglingly different about it. Apart from Cortana which I consider MS spyware and the start menu I do not see a whole lot of difference. As I posted previously I shut Cortana down as I do not want it sending Gates any info.

Have experienced a few small issues such as some MS apps shutting down. I Googled, 'W10 problems' and found I am not the only one with a gripe about instability in some of the W10 standard apps. What is more the solutions suggested by MS simply do not work which suggests they know about the problems but have not got a fix yet.

One thing I have noted. In W8.1 it was possible to perform a split screen by clicking and dragging from the top of the screen. Doing this you could have an app such as MS Calculator open in a split alongside of a program such as MS Excel. It was quite handy. I have not been able to do this in W10, perhaps someone else has figured out how to do it? Again, not a huge issue but it is going backward in my view.

To those who have not yet downloaded W10 I would say do not rush into it. If you are happy with W7 or even W8.1 stick with them until you are forced into an upgrade or until MS fix the exasperating little problems in W10.

Three weeks since I downloaded W10. Have yet to find what is so mind bogglingly different about it. Apart from Cortana which I consider MS spyware and the start menu I do not see a whole lot of difference. As I posted previously I shut Cortana down as I do not want it sending Gates any info.

Have experienced a few small issues such as some MS apps shutting down. I Googled, 'W10 problems' and found I am not the only one with a gripe about instability in some of the W10 standard apps. What is more the solutions suggested by MS simply do not work which suggests they know about the problems but have not got a fix yet.

One thing I have noted. In W8.1 it was possible to perform a split screen by clicking and dragging from the top of the screen. Doing this you could have an app such as MS Calculator open in a split alongside of a program such as MS Excel. It was quite handy. I have not been able to do this in W10, perhaps someone else has figured out how to do it? Again, not a huge issue but it is going backward in my view.

To those who have not yet downloaded W10 I would say do not rush into it. If you are happy with W7 or even W8.1 stick with them until you are forced into an upgrade or until MS fix the exasperating little problems in W10.
Can you not just slam the window against the side of the desktop to resize. Then you get to select which open window you want to have running beside it.

Can you not just slam the window against the side of the desktop to resize. Then you get to select which open window you want to have running beside it.

You can, thanks for that Moonwatcher. Slam is the operative word though, I really had to whack the open window against the side.

Both my parents' machines have had issues with the start menu failing in Win 10 at various times. May have to try a clean install to get them some stability.

Mine on the other have been fine. Albeit I have switched a lot of things off and don't use Cortana, the Store, a MS account... so in some ways there's less to go wrong!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back