Has there ever been a more soul-crushingly tedious team than Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Okay, let's get this out of the way from the beginning. Firstly, yes Hawthorn are obviously a very good team who can deservedly be placed among the very best of all time. I'm not calling their talent or their achievements into question. Secondly, this is not about petty jealousy. Of course, as a melbourne supporter, I can only dream of the success that the hawks have had recently, but that's not what this post is about. Other teams have had success and it's never motivated me to make a post like this. Nor is it about my hatred for Hawthorn; in fact, the complete absence of strong feelings I have for the team is part of the problem. This thread is solely motivated by the fact that Hawthorn are one of the most appallingly boring and unwatchable teams from a neutral perspective that I have ever seen.

Why do I say this? Let me run through some reasons.

• They have a boring style. It's based on uncontested possession along the wing and blanket zoning, neither of which are remotely attractive. They had about 12% more uncontested possessions than any other team this year, and if there was a stat for uncontested marks taken in opposition 50 from sideways kicks then the Hawks would have the records tumbling.

When Geelong were at their peak, they were worth watching even when the result was predictable; there was something captivating about watching them just cream other teams. Sydney used to have a boring style, but at least that produced close games. Hawthorn games don't really have either quality They'll do what they need to to win by 50-60 points and kill off the game as a contest by half time, but they play without flair or doing the kind of things that blow you away as a neutral. They do exactly what they need to do to get the result and that's it. The last three grand finals have been amongst the most forgettable in history.
  • They don't have any interesting players. There are no flawed geniuses, no unique talents, no hard luck stories, nothing. There are only soulless robots who seem to play the exact same game, with the exact same statistics, with the exact same blank look on their faces every week.

Sam Mitchell typifies this perfectly. One of the best midfielders of all time. Never makes a mistake. Routinely amasses 30 possessions. His highlight real over his career would fill all of 12 seconds. I can't remember any career-defining game like I can with most other champions. He just exists and wins. Gunston is the same. Uncontested mark, set shot, 3.0-4.0 every week. Just doesn't miss. But who wants to watch that?
  • They have a team full of ring-ins. It shouldn't matter so much, but they had 7 players on their team yesterday who were brought into the club as already established players from other, less successful teams. It feels like a bought dynasty. Compare that to Geelong (and all other premiers, really) who developed their own players and kept them together for a decade or more. It was much easier to grow to love or hate them. What possible attitude can I take to a mail-order success story like Ben McAvoy? Oh boy, here comes David Hale, that'll be sure to stir a strong emotional reaction in me. And isn't there something distasteful about the fact that James Frawley is now and forever a premiership player? Isn't there?
  • They haven't got any real rivalries, or been involved in man memorable games. There was the Geelong rivalry, but that was mostly just Geelong beating up on Hawthorn until they went into decline. I can 't think of a single hawthorn game I was pumped to watch as a neutral over the past 3 years. They don't have many historical rivalries, and they haven't had many teams challenging them for top spot overthe past three years either. With due respect to west coast, they wouldn't have made it to the grand final most other years. Hawthorn peaked at just the right time; they don't have a credible challenger at the moment.

Anyway, I could go on but I'll spare you. Yesterday was the first grand final I haven't watched live since I started following football because I knew exactly how it would play out. 50 point win? Check. Game dead by half time? Check. Mitchell 30 odds disposals? Gunston 4.0? Loads of uncontested possessions? Check, check, check. Congrats on the three-peat Hawks, but the game will be far more interesting to watch when someone else starts winning instead.

Okay, let's get this out of the way from the beginning. Firstly, yes Hawthorn are obviously a very good team who can deservedly be placed among the very best of all time. I'm not calling their talent or their achievements into question. Secondly, this is not about petty jealousy. Of course, as a melbourne supporter, I can only dream of the success that the hawks have had recently, but that's not what this post is about. Other teams have had success and it's never motivated me to make a post like this. Nor is it about my hatred for Hawthorn; in fact, the complete absence of strong feelings I have for the team is part of the problem. This thread is solely motivated by the fact that Hawthorn are one of the most appallingly boring and unwatchable teams from a neutral perspective that I have ever seen.

<SNIP>

tumblr_inline_mzzijprxZE1sxqpbx.gif

Hawthorn personify how football should be played. They put an absolute premium on skills. If people don't like watching them, then I don't believe they are true fans of the game. IMO if you truly love football, and watch Hawthorn without bias, then it is like watching Floyd Mayweather in a boxing ring. The Hawks have truly mastered their craft. Some people might call it boring football, but I just salute it, to me, it is professionalism at its best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree, Hawthorn's short kicking, uncontested style of play shits me and given that they were the favourites with the bookies all year, I found myself barracking for every other team to knock them off (even the Pies) to see an end to that style. I would've thought by now, given the threepeat, you would've seen other teams looking to increase the number of precision short kicks to teammates, because it has been very effective... provided you hit your targets.

The new England patriots of the afl.

Efficient and ultra professional play style. The team is bigger than personalities.

Lots of jealous competitors.

Kills you with short kicks while the patriots kill you with short quick passes

They even stole bill bellichick's catchphrase with "play your role"

"Do your job"

WTF is the OP waffling about, The Hawks are the most entertaining team to watch hands down, a old fashioned throw back to the tough, unrelenting style of footy in the 70s and 80s..

Hawks hit targets with skilful precision, how tedious compared to pushing numbers back and bombing it to *ery

Modern Footy has gotten a bit boring at times, but hawks are hardly boring except for winning it all the time i guess

People calling a game like that yesterday boring just baffles me.

That was as good as it gets for near football perfection. It was total teamwork with brutal controlled aggression dished out to worthy opponent who folded under the relentless pressure.

People complaining expect every GF to be a goal for goal battle played out to the last minute with a few points in it. Just doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back