Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think you get what I'm saying. Even those big clubs aren't filling out the 100k MCG to half capacity. Just like we aren't going to get 60k+ every week.

I reckon you guys would sell out a 70k stadium every game. Freo probably not, but they'd get 50k+ most games. But I reckon that's a worst case scenario. If the hype around the stadium is anything like Adelaide Oval (and there's no reason why it wouldn't be given it's probably going to be a much better stadium) then both clubs would sell out 70k seats before the season starts.

I reckon you guys would sell out a 70k stadium every game. Freo probably not, but they'd get 50k+ most games. But I reckon that's a worst case scenario. If the hype around the stadium is anything like Adelaide Oval (and there's no reason why it wouldn't be given it's probably going to be a much better stadium) then both clubs would sell out 70k seats before the season starts.
I doubt it. We may technically sell out games now but the crowd is never full capacity. We have a lot of members that don't go to all games. They keep the membership because they know if they give it up they wont be able to go in the future. I think the new stadium will allow people to not rely on memberships and go to the odd game instead. The membership seating will be capped so its not like the whole stadium will be locked out by members again.

FIFOs and families who keep renewing the dead grandparents membership will finally give them up when the new stadium opens.

I doubt it. If you're prepared to sweat it out at Subi for years then you're hardly going to abandon it when something world class comes along.
It's not like there are huge numbers of existing members not showing up every week, combined with members getting generally better seats means id be astounded if more than 2 or 3 percent of current members didn't renew. And they'll be replaced in about a second along with 20,000 more that will want a membership.

I doubt it. If you're prepared to sweat it out at Subi for years then you're hardly going to abandon it when something world class comes along.
It's not like there are huge numbers of existing members not showing up every week, combined with members getting generally better seats means id be astounded if more than 2 or 3 percent of current members didn't renew. And they'll be replaced in about a second along with 20,000 more that will want a membership.
I doubt it. We may technically sell out games now but the crowd is never full capacity. We have a lot of members that don't go to all games. They keep the membership because they know if they give it up they wont be able to go in the future. I think the new stadium will allow people to not rely on memberships and go to the odd game instead. The membership seating will be capped so its not like the whole stadium will be locked out by members again.
Both WA clubs'll have like a 98% retention rate as well as letting in members on the waiting list. Then you also have people who'll want to join up with the promise of shorter waiting lists and a higher possibility of getting memberships, as well as things like three game memberships. Then throw in the 10,000 public seats and how sought after they'll be. Plus growth. Plus the fact Adelaide gets, what, 48,000 on average to their games? Take their population into account v Perth's and that's maybe 55,000 guaranteed if we're being equal. Plus the fact Perth is a huge footy city and Melbourne has to split its crowds over nearly a dozen teams essentially...

60,000 will sell out every weekend, I genuinely think so.

Both WA clubs'll have like a 98% retention rate as well as letting in members on the waiting list. Then you also have people who'll want to join up with the promise of shorter waiting lists and a higher possibility of getting memberships, as well as things like three game memberships. Then throw in the 10,000 public seats and how sought after they'll be. Plus growth. Plus the fact Adelaide gets, what, 48,000 on average to their games? Take their population into account v Perth's and that's maybe 55,000 guaranteed if we're being equal. Plus the fact Perth is a huge footy city and Melbourne has to split its crowds over nearly a dozen teams essentially...

60,000 will sell out every weekend, I genuinely think so.
Plus there is a whole generation or maybe two generations, of people under about 40 - the majority of which just have not seen a live footy game in their life featuring the Eagles or dockers. Unless they have relatives who are members and are now too old or have passed away but they keep paying the membership fee and some youngster goes with a card saying their name is Reginald or Gwendolyn....

Not like Melbourne where you can call your mates on the day, pay 25 bucks, and get into about half the seats available at the MCG in 'general admission'.....

I went past on the train which stopped on a bend. They were breaking up some concrete pillars. What
s going on there.?.
Some worker had some money on Kennedy to be first goal scorer and norm smith medallist -- so he was taking out his anger perhaps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be possible then once this new stadium is built that a need for a rectangular stadium, ala AAMI Park in Victoria, could be built later on? Would be magnificent to have a sporting capital feel to Perth. Once the transport and pedestrian access is completed, then the smaller stadium would be perfectly set up. Just going to the NIB Stadium in Leederville is pretty foreign with limited public transport and much like Subi Oval where in the middle of housing/apartments.

Could it be possible then once this new stadium is built that a need for a rectangular stadium, ala AAMI Park in Victoria, could be built later on? Would be magnificent to have a sporting capital feel to Perth. Once the transport and pedestrian access is completed, then the smaller stadium would be perfectly set up. Just going to the NIB Stadium in Leederville is pretty foreign with limited public transport and much like Subi Oval where in the middle of housing/apartments.

Why do we need a bigger rectangular stadium when Perth Stadium will be able to host internationals and Perth Glory etc don't even sell out NIB?

Why do we need a bigger rectangular stadium when Perth Stadium will be able to host internationals and Perth Glory etc don't even sell out NIB?
Not saying it has to be bigger. But when the games such as Glory only can get 20-35 k at most, can't see why not? AAMI Park hosts the 20k crowds and have atomsphere whereas Etihad Stadium is used for the derby, finals for A League etc. Perth Stadium will host those big games and it will look great during the summer. Just an idea especially maximizing the infrastructure as well as train station development already in place by 2018.

Not saying it has to be bigger. But when the games such as Glory only can get 20-35 k at most, can't see why not? AAMI Park hosts the 20k crowds and have atomsphere whereas Etihad Stadium is used for the derby, finals for A League etc. Perth Stadium will host those big games and it will look great during the summer. Just an idea especially maximizing the infrastructure as well as train station development already in place by 2018.
It would be nice to make that whole Burswood area a sports hub, but for what it would cost to build a brand new stadium when the government has just spent $95mil on the brand new eastern grandstand, can't see it happening anytime soon.

For it's size Perth Oval is in a fine location. Walking distance from both Claisebrook and East Perth so I can't see how public transport is bad for it.

Both West Coast and Fremantle wanted it to be more like Subiaco than MCG or Docklands. They made it as narrow as they can while being ICC compliant.

And then complain about not being used to the MCG com september?

No reason why both shouldn't push to have a home ground advantage, playing on a ground that resembles the MCG in someway isn't quite the same as actually playing more than once a season on the MCG. It's up to the AFL to fix that issue, not up to the two WA sides.

No reason why both shouldn't push to have a home ground advantage, playing on a ground that resembles the MCG in someway isn't quite the same as actually playing more than once a season on the MCG. It's up to the AFL to fix that issue, not up to the two WA sides.

The lord helps those who help themselves. This part IS up to the WA sides. They would still get the home crowd and the proven benefits from that, while they would gain an MCG size oval and that might actually benefit them in winng a flag, rather than turing up in September and finding out they have no idea how to play a ground that size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back