Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been trying to find the rule on the afl website. No luck. Surely it doesn't discriminate in this way, it's a legal challenge waiting to happen.
I think if they aren't biological, they take it on a case by case basis. For instance, if a kid is adopted at a young age, he can be a father/son, but if you adopt the prospective number 1 pick when he's 17, they won't let him be a father/son.

I think if they aren't biological, they take it on a case by case basis. For instance, if a kid is adopted at a young age, he can be a father/son, but if you adopt the prospective number 1 pick when he's 17, they won't let him be a father/son.

I hope that is the case. Makes sense and shouldnt discriminate. As Allan mentions though, has supreme court written all over it if someone pushes the boundaries.

I wonder if we'd have any interest in Whitecross as an unrestricted FA. Beveridge link; will come cheap; right age bracket for us and if he can get himself fit would certainly add something to our side as a mature, hard-running link-man with a quality boot on him. Injuries are no doubt a concern but as a UFA the risk would be somewhat mitigated. Just a left-field idea that I haven't seen be discussed much.
Brisbane are the only team reported to be interested.

Yeah wouldn't give up anything pick wise for him considering his injuries and completely being pushed out by Hawthorns MC for the last 4-5 months of the season, good to hear he's a UFA then

I hope that is the case. Makes sense and shouldnt discriminate. As Allan mentions though, has supreme court written all over it if someone pushes the boundaries.

Firstly, I apologise - Cleveland was right. I believed Cohen to be the eldest; it is Bailee that is the eldest. I did find this thread while searching around... (sorry I'm also crap at quoting).

paulveed said:
Just as a matter of interest, doubt are there DNA tests done by the AFL on father/sons for qualification.
Are adoptive kids eligible?? Any one know?

Demetriou spoke about exactly that point only a couple of months back!

Basically, the gist of what he was saying is that they would look at the paper work, if the kid had been adopted at age 17, then of course no f/s rule applies.

Otherwise there would be no issue with it.

josh the gent, Oct 10, 2012

I also found this re: adoptive father sons:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-adopts-new-father-son-rule/story-e6frf9jf-1226351825435

AFL adopts new father-son stance
  • by: Michael Warner
  • May 10, 2012 10:56AM

737121-jackviney.jpg

Former Melbourne captain Todd Viney with his son Jack who will join the Demons under the father-son rule. Picture: David Caird Source: Herald Sun

THE AFL has today softened its stance on adopted children being able to be drafted under the father-son rule.

ceLast night, an AFL spokesman said prospective father-son draftees “must be a biological relationship”.

The issue caused anger on talkback radio, with some callers labelling the stance a disgrace.

Today, the AFL told the Herald Sun: “Traditionally, it has to be a biological relationship but we would apply discretion if an adoptee case was put forward”.

"At this time, the AFL is not aware of any former 100-game player, who would be eligible to have a father/son selection, who has an adopted son coming through the ranks as a potential AFL-standard player," the league said in a statement.

"If that scenario were to arise with a 100-game player and an adopted son, we would expect the club / player to make a submission to the AFL commission and the commission would consider the application on its merits."

It explains why Bailee didn't get an honourable mention on this graphic too (which is a great read but makes me shake my head to think that the Pieman's son took up rowing instead WTF???):

fatherson.png

Cheers, FROGGER

Firstly, I apologise - Cleveland was right. I believed Cohen to be the eldest; it is Bailee that is the eldest. I did find this thread while searching around... (sorry I'm also crap at quoting).

paulveed said:
Just as a matter of interest, doubt are there DNA tests done by the AFL on father/sons for qualification.

Basically, the gist of what he was saying is that they would look at the paper work, if the kid had been adopted at age 17, then of course no f/s rule applies.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-adopts-new-father-son-rule/story-e6frf9jf-1226351825435

737121-jackviney.jpg

Former Melbourne captain Todd Viney with his son Jack who will join the Demons under the father-son rule. Picture: David Caird Source: Herald Sun

THE AFL has today softened its stance on adopted children being able to be drafted under the father-son rule.

ceLast night, an AFL spokesman said prospective father-son draftees “must be a biological relationship”.

The issue caused anger on talkback radio, with some callers labelling the stance a disgrace.

Today, the AFL told the Herald Sun: “Traditionally, it has to be a biological relationship but we would apply discretion if an adoptee case was put forward”.

"At this time, the AFL is not aware of any former 100-game player, who would be eligible to have a father/son selection, who has an adopted son coming through the ranks as a potential AFL-standard player," the league said in a statement.

"If that scenario were to arise with a 100-game player and an adopted son, we would expect the club / player to make a submission to the AFL commission and the commission would consider the application on its merits."

It explains why Bailee didn't get an honourable mention on this graphic too (which is a great read but makes me shake my head to think that the Pieman's son took up rowing instead WTF???):

View attachment 180595

Cheers, FROGGER
Thanks for that Frogger

Hopefully Scotty Wests and Croftys kids like footy. Could be spoilt for choice if any are good.

Hopefully Croftys kids grow bigger than him, having more father son KPPs would be great.

paulveed said:

737121-jackviney.jpg

View attachment 180595

Cheers, FROGGER
Isn't he having another crack at it with a full pre-season over the summer coming up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Beasley?

Apparently he's training with Footscray over preseason

That's why I love this board... I hadn't heard that mail. I would love to see him running around in the hoops... as an impressionable kid in the 80's I found his old man awesome to watch....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back