The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

hahaha!! My brother did that when he was a teenager! :D Hilarious!

I hope you are reading the Shorter Oxford Dictionary and not the Longer Oxford Dictionary!! lol
The full version. Interesting choice, but really, it's only a minuscule part out of the day if done in small portions. And I think it could beneficial if only for finishing the large book.

I can imagine that would really impress women................

....anyway, what's this anti-gravity book?
it's a joke.... can't put it down... ???
(the other version of the joke was that I was reading a book on euthanasia and couldn't put it down.. but I thought anti-gravity was kinder ;))

Good luck with impressing women :) As long as you don't walk around sounding like a thesaurus.

it's a joke.... can't put it down... ???
(the other version of the joke was that I was reading a book on euthanasia and couldn't put it down.. but I thought anti-gravity was kinder ;))

Good luck with impressing women :) As long as you don't walk around sounding like a thesaurus.
You know what, I won't lie. I didn't get the joke from quickly reading it, but I like it.

Oh and I was being sarcastic about impressing people with it, I finished another 14 pages earlier this morning and even I hate myself for bothering.

Among others, I'm reading a book of compiled interviews with Hunter S Thompson. Engaging to say the least.

You know what, I won't lie. I didn't get the joke from quickly reading it, but I like it.

Oh and I was being sarcastic about impressing people with it, I finished another 14 pages earlier this morning and even I hate myself for bothering.
don't know why you would hate yourself- if you enjoy reading it, read it until you get bored with it. If you get sick of it, stick a bookmark in and give it away until you feel like reading it again.

Guess it's no worse than reading a book- if you don't like what you're reading, are you more likely to persevere because you've paid for it or someone else said it was great or would you give it up because you have more books waiting to be read and they are probably more interesting??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm halfway through reading Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography at the moment. He was my idol when I was a kid but I have to say I'm liking him a lot less now... though my opinion of him had already dropped a fair bit when he went into politics as a Republican.

There's very little self-reflection in the book, it's basically one long descriptive brag about how awesome he is. I admire his drive and work ethic to a point, but he comes across as being self-focused to the point of being a sociopath.

I do like the fact it seems like he's written it himself rather than using a ghostwriter. The less polished prose does give it a little charm.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Only a chapter into it but I couldn't be more the target audience if I was typing this out on a Commodore 64 computer while rocking out to a Flock of Seagulls mix tape and so I've been hooked since the first page.

Kudos to them on getting Wil Wheaton to narrate a science fiction novel about gaming and 80s pop culture :)

I'm halfway through reading Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography at the moment. He was my idol when I was a kid but I have to say I'm liking him a lot less now... though my opinion of him had already dropped a fair bit when he went into politics as a Republican.

There's very little self-reflection in the book, it's basically one long descriptive brag about how awesome he is. I admire his drive and work ethic to a point, but he comes across as being self-focused to the point of being a sociopath.

I do like the fact it seems like he's written it himself rather than using a ghostwriter. The less polished prose does give it a little charm.
That's interesting, estibador. I would not have thought he would be full of himself- but I guess that anyone can end up like that after the success that he's had.

Now someone like Tom Cruise.... I could believe that HE would be bragging about how awesome he is...

He has a ghostwriter but he did a great job of adapting it to Arnie's way of communicating. He doesn't come across as the type to do a lot of writing in a Stallone way. He's never pitched a story for a film, even Van Damme and Seagal have done that.

Yeah I agree to a certain extent to what you're saying. However, I do think Arnie as self serving as he is, at least tries to do some right in the world, even if he doesn't fully understand why people do that, if you know what I mean? You won't see him get involved in bar brawls or take himself too seriously however will hurt others emotionally if it'll serve his need at the time. All the affairs he had proves that, but he does accept the criticism and knows it isn't the proper thing to do, even if he'll likely do it again. I guess being in his position since his teens and having others being overwhelmed by your mere presences would inflate an ego to that degree. I compare Arnie to someone like Stallone in the way they made their films. At the height of his power, Arnie would make sure the director and crew got everything they needed in order to make the film work, pitching demands on producers as if it was him asking for it. Stallone on the other hand is all about making sure no one out does him on screen, using puppet directors, and demands a screen credit (even in cases where he didn't deserve it). I know who I'd rather work with when making a film.

Have you ever seen Pumping Iron? That probably gives the viewer the closest idea to who Arnie really is.

Have you ever seen Pumping Iron? That probably gives the viewer the closest idea to who Arnie really is.

Yeah I enjoyed that flick. They say he hammed it up for a camera a little but it seems it was still fairly close to the mark in regards to the sort of manipulation of others and mental warfare he was fond of.

Have you read the book? Funny you mention bar brawls because there was a section on how when he first moved to Munich he used to enjoy hanging out in the beer halls. Not because he drank much (because that would interfere with his training) but because he liked taking any opportunity he could to get into the regular punch ups that would occur. Bit of an eye-opener to me because the Munich beer halls always seemed like fairly peaceful and jovial places when I was there but I guess it was a different era back then and many of his generation would have been brought up by pretty hard men who were ex-soldiers from the war.

Last edited:
Yeah I enjoyed that flick. They say he hammed it up for a camera a little but it seems it was still fairly close to the mark in regards to the sort of manipulation of others and mental warfare he was fond of.

Have you read the book? Funny you mention bar brawls because there was a section on how when he first moved to Munich he used to enjoy hanging out in the beer halls. Not because he drank much (because that would interfere with his training) but because he liked taking any opportunity he could to get into the regular punch ups that would occur. Bit of an eye-opener to me because the Munich beer halls always seemed like fairly peaceful and jovial places when I was there, but I guess it was a different era back then and many of that generation of his would have all been brought up by pretty hard men who were ex-soldiers from the war.

Yeah I have read it. For some reason I don't recall that part lol. I guess I passed over it against all the times he mentioned picking up chicks. Arnie doesn't seem the violent type, even at his most arrogant, but being young and in the Austrian army at one point its definitely plausible.

Yeah I have read it. For some reason I don't recall that part lol. I guess I passed over it against all the times he mentioned picking up chicks. Arnie doesn't seem the violent type, even at his most arrogant, but being young and in the Austrian army at one point its definitely plausible.

Yeah he talked about how they used to go back to one of their houses afterwards for post-mortems like it was a social sports game.

"Hey Franco, did you see how I smashed that chair over that guy's back!"

He said the cops only bothered them once - when he knocked a guy's teeth out and they were arguing so much afterwards about how much it would cost to fix them that the cops were worried they'd get into another fight so took them down the station until they agreed on a price.

All I could think was "F**K drinking around a bunch of guys that size who were spoiling for a fight!" Crazy Germans/Austrians!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back