2016 AFL Futures

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
With the 2015 season now wound up.

Its all about the future and what people think will happen next year in regards to brownlow, coleman, grandfinal, premiership and many more.

I will be potentially looking to get some early multi's on with a potential cash out option.

MODS of this thread isnt required, then please delete.

Let us know what you are thinking for next year.

I feel Fremantle will do what they did similar this year, fly early than dwindle, maybe with a slight drop off. Hawks, WCE will be there abouts again next year. Port could be of some great value.

What could the reinvigorated cats do with Dangerfield?

Lake and Hale retired so I don't think the Hawks can do a 4-peat (I'll probably eat humble pie next October, haha). If they do, they will be the greatest side ever. The system (salary cap, draft) makes it extremely hard to be dominant for so long.
Dockers needs to trade for a forward. If they can get a ready made forward like Mccarthy or Johnson, they might win it next year. Mcpharlin retired who is a big out.
Fyfe had surgery which could delay his pre-season, and therefore affect his game. But as we seen this year, he was a beast in the first 12 rounds.
Mckenzie and Brown will be back for the Eagles to strengthen the team. We lost the granny in 91 and 05, then came back the following year to win, so hopefully the tradition continues. :)
Swans: When will Buddy come back? Without him, Swans play like a team without COLA.
Roos: Should challenge for top 4 next year.
Crows should come out of the 8 with no dangerfield.
Bulldogs are an interesting mix of young and old. Liberatore to come back and strengthen the team.
Either Port adelaide, Cats or Suns with Ablett (when is he back?) to make the eight.
Cats could possibly get Scotty Selwood which will strengthen the midfield. They're better with Clarke, but he's too unpredictable.

Premiership: Eagles
Mckenzie and Brown to return, which means Yeo can play midfield/forward and Mcgoven to act as the swingman. Weagles web will work better when two key defenders return.

Brownlow: Fyfe.
Dark horse: Dustin Martin or Bontempelli. Both teams to improve and not many players can steal votes off them.

I like Port for the premiership next year but i will obviously hold off until after drafts/trades etc probably til the pre season as well incase of injury.

Same.

Dogs to miss the 8 also, won't put that bet on until just before round 1 though. Happy to let the hype train build all summer long.

might as well bet on how many possies dangerfield will get in round 1, if you like the early odds and heaps of uncertainty. couldn't fathom putting anything on this far out for a market that may not be settled for nearly a year.

Same.

Dogs to miss the 8 also, won't put that bet on until just before round 1 though. Happy to let the hype train build all summer long.
Agree on the dogs, don't rate them that highly, no doubt an impressive year given their situation but still a few holes and they'll have a tougher draw. Interesting to see what we get.

Dunno about Port. Think everyone will be of the opinion that they'll bounce back and the bookies will be all over it.

Recent history says only the Hawks have had the skill, experience and composure to perform in the GF. However, the performance of the Hawks might well be tied to the performance of Mitchell and Hodge who are aging, but to date haven't shown it.

I think the Port list is too thin, Freo will be hurt by the loss of Pav and McParlin, Roos not enough A-graders and Sydney have backline and Buddy issues.

Richmond might challenge as it looks like they are in the market for proven performers such as Bennell (off to Freo though). The Eagles had a great season, but if you look at their list I wonder if it has enough quality to win a GF at the MCG. Adding McKenzie and quality like Redden will no doubt help.

I think alot of the value will come from picking the team that is going to decline unexpectedly and the team that is going to rise unexpectedly. Often it takes the public along time to realise that things have changed ie Port this year and WB.

Yeh maybe not wise to bet so far out depends on your confidence with your thoughts though.

I feel Hawks will be sluggish early and gain momentum for a 4 peat very similar to this year. So maybe better odds for them early in the year for the flag.

I know trade/draft still to happen. However i see Buldogs, Richmond and maybe even North as sliders to fall out of the 8 oh and Adelaide a chance aswell.

I dont think Sydney will slide out the 8 but i reckon top 4 will look unlikely for them next year. Plenty of sides that can push right up.

Port, geelong with Danger, Menzel, M.Clark ect, or the young giants. I feel GWS might stagnate like GC did but not to the same degree. Potentially losing Treloar and McCarthy.

Recent history says only the Hawks have had the skill, experience and composure to perform in the GF. However, the performance of the Hawks might well be tied to the performance of Mitchell and Hodge who are aging, but to date haven't shown it.

I think the Port list is too thin, Freo will be hurt by the loss of Pav and McParlin, Roos not enough A-graders and Sydney have backline and Buddy issues.

Richmond might challenge as it looks like they are in the market for proven performers such as Bennell (off to Freo though). The Eagles had a great season, but if you look at their list I wonder if it has enough quality to win a GF at the MCG. Adding McKenzie and quality like Redden will no doubt help.

I think alot of the value will come from picking the team that is going to decline unexpectedly and the team that is going to rise unexpectedly. Often it takes the public along time to realise that things have changed ie Port this year and WB.

Couldn't back Richmond for the life of me until they win a final, mentally fragile, can't see that changing over the summer.

I think Port just got a bit too far ahead of themselves this year, their list is plenty good enough and young enough to challenge next year, they found some players this year (such as Sam Gray) and if they add the likes of Dixon that will help big time, Schulz despite being a great kick for goal can't be a one man forward line. Ryder is much more a ruckman for mine. A bigger pre-season this year will see them shoot right back up the ladder with a somewhat softer draw next year. The Gray's, Boak, Wingard and Wines are already guns but we can expect even better in the season's going forward. There aren't many clubs with that many established stars who can all improve on their output next year. Wingard is the special one for mine, happy to nominate him as an early Brownlow tip also, he had no pre-season last year but finished the year like a house on fire, could be anything. Dare i say, a better offensive version (as in more touches and time in the midfield and more goals, not defensively) of Rioli?

Remembering Port beat Hawthorn twice last year, they have what's required to challenge the best, they just need to become more consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you say that? i would be leaning the other way with Treloar and McCarthy likely to be traded

They started well this year until decimated by injuries. Whether it was a statistical anomaly or a sign of things to come remains to be seen. At this point in time Treloar and McCarthy are still GWS players, if they are traded then I'd ease the odds out. $2.20 is about right for me at this point.

with those types of things, first question to look at - who is going to fall out of the 8 in order to let another team in.

No chance: Hawthorn
Highly unlikely: West Coast, Sydney, Fremantle
Possible: Richmond (good luck predicting how they'll go), North Melbourne
Probable: Western Bulldogs (tougher draw, will probably stagnate in terms of onfield output before taking the next step), Adelaide

Teams likely to come in: Port Adelaide
Teams that could possibly to come in: GWS, Geelong, Collingwood, Gold Coast

Because Hale and Lake were the driving force behind Hawthorn's success??

haha, if you put it that way then probably not.
But they're small cogs that makes up a well oiled machine.
Whilst Lake doesn't take the best forward, he takes the second tall forward.
Hale helps out Big Ben in the ruck, then rests up forward.
Suckling has just moved to the bulldogs.
All it takes now is an injury to one of the defenders or Big Ben, then they will become a normal team :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back