Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

We all would mate. They're not going to take it though
They should. Carlton need as many picks as they can and 21 will add to their arsenal. As for Brisbane, Redden wants to leave, and Astbury if they use him correctly will be very good, plus a nice couple of early picks. It's realistic.

They should. Carlton need as many picks as they can and 21 will add to their arsenal. As for Brisbane, Redden wants to leave, and Astbury if they use him correctly will be very good, plus a nice couple of early picks. It's realistic.
Possible , but gee mate Dave is so over rated on here and I cannot see other clubs rating him as we do

Last edited:
Possible , but gee mate Dave is so over rated on here and I. A not see other clubs rating him as we do
He is very over rated here. But I guess all boards do it.

He's alright though. He just looks too much like private school posh kid. You just wanna toughen him up but not sure how.

Astbury is worth about pick 30
Redden is worth about pick 20
Pick 21 is worth about pick 12
Yarran is worth about pick 25
Pick 12 is worth about pick 12

It is good Adelaide won too because it won't make our first pick one pick less.

Our first pick 12 + Astbury for Redden + Pick 23 (if Adelaide let Danger go for compo).

Pick 23 for Yarran + Pick 57

An 11 pick upgrade + a KPD that will be in your best 22 forever is worth Redden.

He is very over rated here. But I guess all boards do it.

He's alright though. He just looks too much like private school posh kid. You just wanna toughen him up but not sure how.
It's weird I remember when he was first drafted they spoke to his coach from the country town he came from and I thought yeah a big strong country boy. Sound prospects here
Then I should have noticed when he finished of and said he's a nice gentle lad. FJ type as youve stated a nice private school boy
I wish him all the best in the future even if he's not at Tigerland

It's weird I remember when he was first drafted they spoke to his coach from the country town he came from and I thought yeah a big strong country boy. Sound prospects here
Then I should have noticed when he finished of and said he's a nice gentle lad. FJ type as youve stated a nice private school boy
I wish him all the best in the future even if he's not at Tigerland
Exactly. I don't have anything against him and I would be happy if he came through as a best 22 in a solid group. But this forum should be about opinion and discussion.

Also, I remember too reading about a strong country lad, I loved the way though in the same sentence it was said he went to the exclusive Caulfield Grammer. Again I wouldn't be surprised if he takes Chaplin's place, but he has work to do.

Happy to have Astbury for depth but don't see him being a difference in us winning a premiership. Showed a bit early last year before injured. But I think to get trades done we have to identify players that will have minimal impact for Richmond but upside for others. We can't not trade anyone out if we want some to come in. Astbury is one we can "afford" to give up in my view. If Brisbane would trade for their 2 round pick (about 21) that would be fair value for Yarran. Or because Redden wants to go to WCE - a 3 way might be able to be worked out with Lycett coming to us. Brisbane would probably want a bit extra to top up the deal though.

Happy to have Astbury for depth but don't see him being a difference in us winning a premiership.
Horse before the cart.

Once was unfortunately forgivable, even though we finished fifth and a Carlton were lucky to be given eighth.

Twice was again poor but rolling with the punches given the run to the finals, playing away to Port who nearly made the GF also was comforting.

Third was just disgusting.

At this stage the aim should be just winning the first final. Premiership talk is embarrassing.

Horse before the cart.

Once was unfortunately forgivable, even though we finished fifth and a Carlton were lucky to be given eighth.

Twice was again poor but rolling with the punches given the run to the finals, playing away to Port who nearly made the GF also was comforting.

At this stage the aim should be just winning the first final. Premiership talk is embarrassing.

Wasn't talking about winning one tomorrow. It's about whether having him on our list now or in the future will make any difference.

Wasn't talking about winning one tomorrow. It's about whether having him on our list now or in the future will make any difference.
I know that.

I'm not a clairvoyant, and I cant judge the progression of the list perfectly. I just think we should aim for one finals win, I reckon the rest will work itself out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Astbury is worth about pick 30
Redden is worth about pick 20
Pick 21 is worth about pick 12
Yarran is worth about pick 25
Pick 12 is worth about pick 12

It is good Adelaide won too because it won't make our first pick one pick less.

Our first pick 12 + Astbury for Redden + Pick 23 (if Adelaide let Danger go for compo).

Pick 23 for Yarran + Pick 57

An 11 pick upgrade + a KPD that will be in your best 22 forever is worth Redden.
That is not a good deal for us, two second rounders do not equal a first rounder.

First rounders are gold, you use them to try and pick up a star, not two mediocre players like Redden and pick 23.

Horse before the cart.

What a crock.
Everything clubs do is focussed on winning a premiership.

Remember Rance was supposedly considering walking away from the game. It's not out of the realms of possibility that he was really just giving his best mate a huge shout out and letting everyone know that it was Dave that helped him reach the decision to sign a new contract.

It did sound to me like Astbury is gone, but I hope not.
Imo it just was a shout out because he is a mate, to me it wasn't a signal that he was leaving.

Possible , but gee mate Dave is so over rated on here and I cannot see other clubs rating him as we do

God help us if Rance was to get injured, he has been so magnificent the last 2 years that the inadequacies of other KPDs have been hidden
IMO it's our second biggest priority to address via the draft (first being small forward/s)

Imo it just was a shout out because he is a mate, to me it wasn't a signal that he was leaving.

Have you watched the speech? Paraphrasing:

"Dave, we've shared many a car ride stewing about the problems in the world... and the fact the the footy world's a pretty tough environment... as Dimma said if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I'm glad we've been able to do it together. But I'm disappointed we haven't been able to play as much footy together... that's your fault Dimma"

To me that's singling out a close mate who is most probably moving on. He hasn't wished him goodbye because trades don't always go through, but i recon Astbury has told a few of them that he's exploring the market.

Have you watched the speech? Paraphrasing:

"Dave, we've shared many a car ride stewing about the problems in the world... and the fact the the footy world's a pretty tough environment... as Dimma said if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I'm glad we've been able to do it together. But I'm disappointed we haven't been able to play as much footy together... that's your fault Dimma"

To me that's singling out a close mate who is most probably moving on. He hasn't wished him goodbye because trades don't always go through, but i recon Astbury has told a few of them that he's exploring the market.
Yep I have, to me its just saying Dave helped him along the way. Nothing sinister imo.

Barret and Wallace talking about Redden going to WCE. Brisbane interested in Astbury but Richmond wanting to keep Astbury.

God help us if Rance was to get injured, he has been so magnificent the last 2 years that the inadequacies of other KPDs have been hidden
IMO it's our second biggest priority to address via the draft (first being small forward/s)
mine is a beastly mid followed by a sharp shooter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back