Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has both ends with her kids, a teenage girl that goes to Perth Modern for gifted students. But the youngest 6 year old boy goes to a special school, can't remember what it is but he has, but mainly it's like a massive speech delay where he can still only barely talk and it's quite difficult to understand him even at that age.

My sister has both ends with her kids, a teenage girl that goes to Perth Modern for gifted students. But the youngest 6 year old boy goes to a special school, can't remember what it is but he has, but mainly it's like a massive speech delay where he can still only barely talk and it's quite difficult to understand him even at that age.
That would be very tough for her- and for all of you when you're around him. :( I hope the young fellow just suddenly improves and it all comes good. I don't know why some kids have developmental delays. :( My friend's son had something similar when he was young, too, I think- the only good thing about it was that he got picked up from his driveway by the orange school bus each morning and dropped home every afternoon. ;) He was OK by mid-primary- still not 100% but he was understandable. What's the prognosis for your young nephew?

That would be very tough for her- and for all of you when you're around him. :( I hope the young fellow just suddenly improves and it all comes good. I don't know why some kids have developmental delays. :( My friend's son had something similar when he was young, too, I think- the only good thing about it was that he got picked up from his driveway by the orange school bus each morning and dropped home every afternoon. ;) He was OK by mid-primary- still not 100% but he was understandable. What's the prognosis for your young nephew?
I'm not sure haven't really asked about it, he's funnily enough the friendliest of the kids and the only one I actually spend much time with as the others are quite fantastically introverted (and this is coming from a 'quiet' person). Still slowly but steadily improving I think, but then again he is 6.

They a couple of years ago had some serious dramas with child protective services because some nut job neighbour claimed they were 'abusing' him as iirc when he was having tantrums they sometimes locked him outside for quiet time and they took photos over the fence kicking the door or something. That eventually got sorted (must have been so stressful for them) and he at least doesn't do that anymore. I go there to stay quite a lot and the claim was beyond ridiculous, he actually gets spoiled a fair bit imo. Every time she takes him shopping he gets something he wants, probably gets bought more toys in 1 year than I got in like 10.

I'm not sure haven't really asked about it, he's funnily enough the friendliest of the kids and the only one I actually spend much time with as the others are quite fantastically introverted (and this is coming from a 'quiet' person). Still slowly but steadily improving I think, but then again he is 6.

They a couple of years ago had some serious dramas with child protective services because some nut job neighbour claimed they were 'abusing' him as iirc when he was having tantrums they sometimes locked him outside for quiet time and they took photos over the fence kicking the door or something. That eventually got sorted (must have been so stressful for them) and he at least doesn't do that anymore. I go there to stay quite a lot and the claim was beyond ridiculous, he actually gets spoiled a fair bit imo. Every time she takes him shopping he gets something, probably gets bought more toys in 1 year than I got in like 10.

Sounds like a good kid.

Locking a kid outside is usually a big 'no-no' so I can see why the child protection mob had to follow that up- but I can see where your sister is coming from ;)

I used to babysit a kid who chucked tantrums. He apparently had meningitis as a kid and it affected his behaviour- at least that's what his parents told em. I just reckon he was a bit out of control. :( His Dad and Mum were amazing people and they went a million miles an hour, so it stands to reason that their child would be similar in nature.

Anyway, one evening he was yelling and carrying on at his young sister so I told him to go to his room until he could say sorry to his sister. He got an empty Coke bottle and started banging on his door so I sent him outside. He then banged on the outside door so I told him to stop it and he'd be allowed to come in when he had settled down a bit (thought being outside would calm him down a bit). He took off on his bicycle but got his pyjamas stuck in his bike chain. That was enough to make everything come crashing down around him. He was in tears, sobbing and carrying on while I extricated his pj leg from the chain, etc., gave him a hug and brought him inside. He was so apologetic. I just could not believe the turnaround from the little s**t that I had sent outside!

Maybe your sister's boy is my neighbour's boy's double?

Your sister buying her young fella something every time he goes shopping is not good- but it might be because he quickly moves on from each present. :( I remember my eldest was never interested in toys- every birthday or Christmas toy was quickly forgotten but he would spend hours and hours on his hands and knees clipping the edges of our lawn with a pair of grass shears that he'd bought with money my Mum had sent over for his birthday/Christmas- or banging nails into a piece of balsa with a tack hammer. :) Or pruning the bushes with secateurs... He just wanted to do what the adults did- my hubby had him helping mow our lawns from when he was 3 and he wasn't even a teenager when he was able to do them on his own. ;)

Oh and one more- sorry this is the male student. The male student that "behaves for male teachers, but completely different for female teachers". They're out there, trust me. And they can get ****ed. :thumbsdown:
in what way? I want to an all boys school so I legitimately have nfi what you're saying. My only female teachers were pretty much English and y12 Chemistry and she accidentally flashed us one day lol.
Well that's just stupid, you should have been in some kind of accelerated or more challenging program, than the work you were doing/given in your year level.

And it's no excuse anyway. When I hit VCE Maths, in my reports is "Michelle needs more work to do, she finishes her classwork quite quickly in class", but I never acted up :p
I remember that in VCE I did Y11 Methods but didn't enjoy it so in y12 went back to the easier Maths. We were allowed a cheat book to write formulas and notes in etc.

Well the Monday after the 2008 GF my Hawks fan maths teacher wearing his Hawks jumper Yuck! decides we'll practice for the exam with the previous years exam which none of us had seen. Now it's 2 exams (MCQ and SA) of 90 minutes and we had an 88 minute lesson. So we sat down and he said MCQ now SA as homework.

I sat down and started doing it and I'm answering quite quickly and then BANG I'm done. Re read all my answers and said to him I was finished. He gives me a puzzled look as it had been only 18 minutes. Nonetheless says here so the SA exam and I'll mark your MCQ exam. So I start that and it's a little harder and about 5 mins later he call out my name "40 out of 40" I look up and there are 20 puzzled students looking at me stunned. Well I get back to doing the other exam and then BANG! Done that too. Hand it to him to correct and noticed that that one took me 50 minutes. So I sit there silent for a while and then he again calls out my name "... You're the first student I can say that with 3 weeks to go until the exam you do not need to study anymore for this subject, 59 out of 60" in all my schooling life it was my most fond memory. When I went to leave I picked up my cheat book which was on the floor the whole time. Going into the actual exam I knew which student would struggle. They were the ones who's cheat books were 50 pages long lol. don't know why your post reminded me of that story but it did....
1 after school detention the whole time I was at school btw..
Only got one too. Sat down at a desk first day of term and there's graffiti on the desk. Teacher notices it when walking and tries to smudge it, sure enough it smudges and I got a detention for someone else's graffiti. Not happy :(
I don't mind the class clown at all (time and place tho- can't be it all the time). It's the kids that are down right rude, lie or don't try that s**t me.
That same teacher gave me the best advice in VCE. "Up until know we've punished you for not doing homework, but you're in year 11 now and if we can't get you to study we're not going to, it's not my life it's yours. So I won't check your homework, I won't mark attendance, if you can't be bothered then it's going to affect your life not mine"

Best advice, somehow I worked harder...

in what way? I want to an all boys school so I legitimately have nfi what you're saying. My only female teachers were pretty much English and y12 Chemistry and she accidentally flashed us one day lol.
I remember that in VCE I did Y11 Methods but didn't enjoy it so in y12 went back to the easier Maths. We were allowed a cheat book to write formulas and notes in etc.

Well the Monday after the 2008 GF my Hawks fan maths teacher wearing his Hawks jumper Yuck! decides we'll practice for the exam with the previous years exam which none of us had seen. Now it's 2 exams (MCQ and SA) of 90 minutes and we had an 88 minute lesson. So we sat down and he said MCQ now SA as homework.

I sat down and started doing it and I'm answering quite quickly and then BANG I'm done. Re read all my answers and said to him I was finished. He gives me a puzzled look as it had been only 18 minutes. Nonetheless says here so the SA exam and I'll mark your MCQ exam. So I start that and it's a little harder and about 5 mins later he call out my name "40 out of 40" I look up and there are 20 puzzled students looking at me stunned. Well I get back to doing the other exam and then BANG! Done that too. Hand it to him to correct and noticed that that one took me 50 minutes. So I sit there silent for a while and then he again calls out my name "... You're the first student I can say that with 3 weeks to go until the exam you do not need to study anymore for this subject, 59 out of 60" in all my schooling life it was my most fond memory. When I went to leave I picked up my cheat book which was on the floor the whole time. Going into the actual exam I knew which student would struggle. They were the ones who's cheat books were 50 pages long lol. don't know why your post reminded me of that story but it did....

Only got one too. Sat down at a desk first day of term and there's graffiti on the desk. Teacher notices it when walking and tries to smudge it, sure enough it smudges and I got a detention for someone else's graffiti. Not happy :(

That same teacher gave me the best advice in VCE. "Up until know we've punished you for not doing homework, but you're in year 11 now and if we can't get you to study we're not going to, it's not my life it's yours. So I won't check your homework, I won't mark attendance, if you can't be bothered then it's going to affect your life not mine"

That's a good lesson learned about the cheat sheet. Strangely, we oldies never needed cheat sheets. Never needed formula sheets either- it was all in our heads and we could find it quickly because we practised it so much. As I was finishing school, log books started to have a page of formulae inside the cover- areas and volumes and maybe a few other things but not a lot. Nothing that I needed in Physics or Chem. :(
I've pretty much told my kids the same thing re notes taken into class for tests. KISS or don't bother taking them in.
Open book tests- ditto. Don't even touch your book unless you know EXACTLY where to find your quote or the stuff you need. You will waste too much time searching and that means less marks you can pick up elsewhere. Go back later if you have time.
And I don't know why teachers encourage kids to bring in notes/books because you don't get that in TEE, do you? Better to start without notes from the very beginning of your school life, so you don't need weaning off them later.

in what way? I want to an all boys school
I've never understood why we have single gender schools? What's the benefit? I mean it can't help kids interact with the opposite sex in social situations.
Now it's 2 exams (MCQ and SA) of 90 minutes and we had an 88 minute lesson. So we sat down and he said MCQ now SA as homework.

I sat down and started doing it and I'm answering quite quickly and then BANG I'm done. Re read all my answers and said to him I was finished. He gives me a puzzled look as it had been only 18 minutes. Nonetheless says here so the SA exam and I'll mark your MCQ exam. So I start that and it's a little harder and about 5 mins later he call out my name "40 out of 40" I look up and there are 20 puzzled students looking at me stunned. Well I get back to doing the other exam and then BANG! Done that too. Hand it to him to correct and noticed that that one took me 50 minutes.
nerd.jpg
Also what are the MCQ and SA exams?

Strangled Cat on my way home this evening I drove alongside a girl driving one of these:
View attachment 181532
She was stunning to look at (so was the driver ;)) and any time she got near me the turbo would flutter very loudly. So I thought I would try to get her attention with my own turbo flutter but mine wasn't loud enough and she took no notice :(
I think the fluttering sound you heard was actually from your :hearts:!

i was in peac in primary which still exists and AEP in high school which i think has changed to just standard streaming now. That said, i was asked to leave in year 11 as i wagged too many days so i couldn't pass. worked for a few years and went to uni anyway, then again, then again. 3 degrees and now i am stuck in school teacher the little buggers. :D

Apologies if you've said this before- what type of school do you teach at and what subjects/levels? /just curious.

Lol, I'll read and reply to this properly when I have a spare hour or two.

:p :D

That's a good lesson learned about the cheat sheet. Strangely, we oldies never needed cheat sheets. Never needed formula sheets either-.

You never actually use them tho. Or only use them a couple times. They're more a study technique/activity to do in the lead up to the exam or test.

One thing I found amusing as a little kid was in about yr 3 we had the class split up into 3 different groups for reading. 'Armadillos', 'Bandicoots' and 'Crocodiles'. Even as only a 'Bandicoot' at the time to me it was plain as day that it actually stood for A, B and C in ranking of our reading levels from best to worst.
we don't even try and hide it. kids are pretty tough and i find honesty is best. you have to differentiate levels otherwise you waste the potential of the better kids and the worse ones dont learn anything anyway.
Apologies if you've said this before- what type of school do you teach at and what subjects/levels? /just curious.
public primary school in the country, year 4/5 kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You never actually use them tho. Or only use them a couple times. They're more a study technique/activity to do in the lead up to the exam or test.
They're a security blanket for the bright kids, a back up plan/ quick reference tool for the above average kids and a bible that's too long to read for anyone else.

I remember that in VCE I did Y11 Methods but didn't enjoy it so in y12 went back to the easier Maths. We were allowed a cheat book to write formulas and notes in etc. .

In the way they behave/keep in line for a male teacher, once a female teacher has them for a subject they suddenly misbehave/act up. It's pretty rare, but I've definitely seen it.

Only got one too. Sat down at a desk first day of term and there's graffiti on the desk. Teacher notices it when walking and tries to smudge it, sure enough it smudges and I got a detention for someone else's graffiti. Not happy :(.

I got my only detention for not doing homework.

Was nothing like "The Breakfast Club". Was disappoint.

That same teacher gave me the best advice in VCE. "Up until know we've punished you for not doing homework, but you're in year 11 now and if we can't get you to study we're not going to, it's not my life it's yours. So I won't check your homework, I won't mark attendance, if you can't be bothered then it's going to affect your life not mine" .

Best advice, somehow I worked harder...[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's fair enough, gotta stop the spoon feeding sooner or later. I do wish I had tried a bit harder tho, even tho I got a mix of As and B+s (and a few Cs- don't do as well on exams), I got a pretty crap TER of 58.55. I was expecting at least 60+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back