List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Draft/FA - SuperMegaUltraThread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly. Paid a fortune for Tippett and Buddy only to find that history repeats, can't double down on power forwards and expect a double return. Tippet will move to the ruck and it'll be Sinkers playing forward and chopping him out.
I think when tippets $750000 a year contract is up he may be moved on or move on himself for better coin that what Sydney will offer second time around
Sinclair is the eventual replacement on half the cash

fullbull

All Australian
Apr 26, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Man Utd, Swan Districts
I would be.
Haha so would I. But I think Sydney would consider themselves getting bent over in that deal. It'd be nice to broker a deal to get them both wouldn't it...maybe throw in Mitch Brown if we feel we have enough KPD depth?

fullbull

All Australian
Apr 26, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I don't reckon the Darling calls are that bad.

17 for Minson is a long way off reality though
The Darling calls are terrible. Don't get me wrong, I have cursed his name and been driven to frustration as much as the next person at how poor he's been in this finals series, but we've got to remember he's come off no pre-season at all - look what that did to Nic Nat's output when he missed those pre seasons a couple of years ago.

Trading a commodity as precious and unique as Jack because of a less than serviceable season is ridiculous. He will come good and everybody that even considered such a foolish notion will be left with egg on their faces.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
The Darling calls are terrible. Don't get me wrong, I have cursed his name and been driven to frustration as much as the next person at how poor he's been in this finals series, but we've got to remember he's come off no pre-season at all - look what that did to Nic Nat's output when he missed those pre seasons a couple of years ago.

Trading a commodity as precious and unique as Jack because of a less than serviceable season is ridiculous. He will come good and everybody that even considered such a foolish notion will be left with egg on their faces.

Not super convinced he is a precious or unique talent. He is a pretty good third tall forward, can downhill ski a bit.

I don't care if we trade him or not but I think he is one that's value as a trade commodity would exceed his value to the team. IMO.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The way you improve your list is bringing in talent but retaining the talent you have already .
Trading darling is a stupid idea .
I think our recruiters will do all they can to bring in redden , jetta and ? Without loosing anyone .
Sinclair is a required player

fullbull

All Australian
Apr 26, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Not super convinced he is a precious or unique talent. He is a pretty good third tall forward, can downhill ski a bit.

I don't care if we trade him or not but I think he is one that's value as a trade commodity would exceed his value to the team. IMO.
I dunno, it's probably easy for his talents to be masked a little given we have the best KPF in the comp right now. Very hard for them to both get off the chain at the same time and dominate together. JD did kick 50 goals in his first season remember.

You're right though - he's better as a third tall forward (and probably needs to lose a few and get more mobile) - I can see him being as good as a Gunston once he gets another full pre-season in him.

He will bounce back, and definitely won't be traded. Big year next year for him for sure.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
I dunno, it's probably easy for his talents to be masked a little given we have the best KPF in the comp right now. Very hard for them to both get off the chain at the same time and dominate together. JD did kick 50 goals in his first season remember.

You're right though - he's better as a third tall forward (and probably needs to lose a few and get more mobile) - I can see him being as good as a Gunston once he gets another full pre-season in him.

He will bounce back, and definitely won't be traded. Big year next year for him for sure.

Fair enough. I reckon he is 1-2 levels of talent below Gunston though. Definitely agree he won't be traded but personally I think he is more expendable from our perspective than many people realise.

Fair enough. I reckon he is 1-2 levels of talent below Gunston though. Definitely agree he won't be traded but personally I think he is more expendable from our perspective than many people realise.
Gunston also has the best midfield in the last decade servicing him, to be fair.

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
Darling needs to be leading up the wings more and getting his opponent on the way back. If we Swing McGovern forward next season, Jack is going to have a lot more freedom.

At the moment he's simply playing as a sit at home forward which isn't his go i don't think.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
giphy.gif

ITT Sherlock is relevant.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd argue that improvement in shep, wellers, schoey was far greater. I agree he's improved, but Lycett will be a better player when fit which makes Sinclair disposable
How do you know? Based on their careers so far, Sinclair is pretty far ahead. For a guy in his 2nd season at a professional club playing an unfamiliar role, I think his improvement has been one of the stories of the season.

There's a perception that just because he's a few years older, his ceiling is lower. I beg to differ, he's a classic 200cm+ late bloomer who's already played a massive role getting our club to a GF over a long season. He's more suitable than Lycett because he does the things that Nic doesn't, making them such a damaging combination. He's athletic and mobile, has a huge engine and reads the play to link up and take contested grabs. Can slot a goal or two, only helped by another pre-season drilling set-shots (a weakness for the whole club at times this year). He covers the ground that makes our turnover trap so effective, and even a marginal improvement in tapwork would make him a pretty complete package.

I think Lycett would be better utilised as a first ruck option (which isn't going to happen unless Nic goes down), and isn't as adept as Sinclair at playing the second-fiddle. He's more likely to seek a new home this year or next.

Simply put, Sinclair is extremely flexible for a big man (can play anywhere) and is familiar with a season under our structures already, yet is still putting the pieces together. Think he'll be sticking around.

How do you know? Based on their careers so far, Sinclair is pretty far ahead. For a guy in his 2nd season at a professional club playing an unfamiliar role, I think his improvement has been one of the stories of the season.

There's a perception that just because he's a few years older, his ceiling is lower. I beg to differ, he's a classic 200cm+ late bloomer who's already played a massive role getting our club to a GF over a long season. He's more suitable than Lycett because he does the things that Nic doesn't, making them such a damaging combination. He's athletic and mobile, has a huge engine and reads the play to link up and take contested grabs. Can slot a goal or two, only helped by another pre-season drilling set-shots (a weakness for the whole club at times this year). He covers the ground that makes our turnover trap so effective, and even a marginal improvement in tapwork would make him a pretty complete package.

I think Lycett would be better utilised as a first ruck option (which isn't going to happen unless Nic goes down), and isn't as adept as Sinclair at playing the second-fiddle. He's more likely to seek a new home this year or next.

Simply put, Sinclair is extremely flexible for a big man (can play anywhere) and is familiar with a season under our structures already, yet is still putting the pieces together. Think he'll be sticking around.
A few points.

Firstly, how is Sinclair playing an unfamiliar role? He's a ruck-fwd which is exactly the role he is playing.

And can he play anywhere at the highest level? He played down back for EP for perhaps a couple of minutes, that's about it.

I feel like people are overstating Sinclair's effectiveness this season due to a few factors, primarily the low expectations we had of him going in, the team success we enjoyed and also Lycett's poor season.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
A few points.

Firstly, how is Sinclair playing an unfamiliar role? He's a ruck-fwd which is exactly the role he is playing.

And can he play anywhere at the highest level? He played down back for EP for perhaps a couple of minutes, that's about it.

I feel like people are overstating Sinclair's effectiveness this season due to a few factors, primarily the low expectations we had of him going in, the team success we enjoyed and also Lycett's poor season.
Fire away :p

He came to the club as a 80/20 forward-ruck at VFL level. Pinch-hitter. I think one of the biggest transitions from reserves to professional level is stoppage and structures, so to pick up the 2nd ruck role after the departure of Cox and visibly improve from the start of last year into the second-half of '15 shows the benefits of full-time coaching and training for an maturing, athletic big guy who's never had it. He's clearly still learning the art...

At numerous times this year he's drifted back to provide an option in defence (particuarly when Schofield and/or Gov had a spell), not as a man-on-man defender but his mobility, mitts and size means he can impact the contest all over the ground.

It's not about age or expectations and for the record I don't think he's a superstar, we're in premiership mode and at the moment Sinclair offers more than Lycett. All power to Scotty if he can get up for a big season, but Sink has flown under the radar as a very important cog in a team that relies on flexibility in numerous positions.

Last edited:

MaxHunt

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Charlton FC
People seem to forget just how bad Sinclair was at times this season.
Yes but he was also very good at times as well.

Our weakest links are the 2nd rotation in the middle and the other wing to Gaff. I would hope the club works on these without trading away best 22 players.

We also need better foot skills but it's been shown that can be improved on.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes but he was also very good at times as well.

Our weakest links are the 2nd rotation in the middle and the other wing to Gaff. I would hope the club works on these without trading away best 22 players.

We also need better foot skills but it's been shown that can be improved on.

Well Jetta seems an obvious choice for the other wing.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
If you have two left gloves and someone offers to swap you for a right glove, you do it. You don't questions "what if I lose my left glove, then I won't have a spare".

This ruck discussion is exactly the same. We have 3 AFL-grade rucks but have deficiencies in the midfield. These deficiencies can be fixed if we use one of these rucks to secure that outside player we need. Yes, if NN and R2 go down, we're in trouble. But that risk is irrelevant if we don't fix the midfield problems.

Of course, we can trade our first round draft pick. But we only have one of those so it limits our ability to trade in more than just Jetta.

Nov 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool | Golden State Warriors
Redden & Jetta for Sinclair and a draft pick seems fair enough to me, and i think it will improve our midfield depth which is what we've been crying out for. Throw Duggan in the mix and it's looking damn fine. Hopefully a Waterman / Cavka / Nelson can push up for a midfield spot too, which would really bring some stiff competition.

I'm not sold on Jetta at all, but it seems inevitable and he will probably help us in some H&A games.

Lycett does really need to bulk up and get more aggressive, it will help us enormously if we can bring a highly capable second ruck on to crush the spirits of the opposing ruck who has just been pansted by NicNat.

I'm comfortable moving Scooter & Mitch Brown on too. Barrass needs to keep getting a taste.

EastPete

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

Totally agree. Sinclair has a lot of potential.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
People seem to forget just how bad Sinclair was at times this season.
How many ruckmen are there who don't seem clumsy and awkward at times...not too many. Sinclair was better than most in the comp even though I doubt he will be a number 1 ruckman as he is a bit shorter than a most of the best ruckmen in the comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back