List Mgmt. 2016 general list discussion and speculation (cont in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This from a since 2001 type person... yeah can see that. The rivalry is in hibernation.... we may not bounce... but if we do... and we catch you on the way down... I think you will find there is plenty of heat in the game. Hawks and Geelong games have had something for decades.. perhaps back to the 60's with JKSr and Davis.

and pressure? 3 interstate side in a row. amazing what pressure , luck can bring.

Luck? You forgot about playing every week of the finals, and having to travel to Perth twice as well. As far as I'm concerned there was zero luck involved this year.

Tom Petroro, from Stride Sports Management, was on SENs Morning Glory this morning and talked about 2 of his clients, Scott Sellwood and Lachie Henderson.

He completely shut down previous reports of SS having signed back up with the WCE. Saying he hadn't made a decision yet. Noted that we had strong interest in him and his brother really wanted to play along side him. Said Scott had to weight up whether he wanted to stay and break into the side, that'll probably challenge for the flag next year. Or if he wanted to go home and be closer to family, and get to run out along side his older brother.

In regards to Hendo he was asked straight up if the CFC will get their wish of a R1 pick. He pretty much refuted that, but said he knew both clubs were deep in discussion and pretty much had come to an agreement. Alluded to it most likely being a R2 pick and a possible player (didn't say who), but also added he was supremely confident that Hendo would be at the Cats in 2016.

Just a question. Sorry if in wrong thread.
Geelongs hopes of jumping into the top 8 is becoming more of a reality each day thanks to Sellwood and the 99.99% chance of dangerfeild going to the cats and 00.01% of the hawks (sarcasm).

Any who, how does geelong get dangerfeild if adelaide match your offer, what do you trade for henderson, what do you trade for sellwood if wce match the offer, what do you trade for zac smith who has requested trade to geelong.

I just don't know the cats pull it off as teams can make it very hard for you guys if the above happens. And let me know if i forgot someone.

Good luck for Free agency and trade period

Dangerfield - General consensus is Adelaide won't match, if they do we will offer pick 9, if they decline it, we will try our luck getting him with 9 in the draft
Selwood - Free hit. Most think WCE will not match the offer as they want to add Jetta and Redden and can't do this if Selwood stays.
Zmith - Word has it that we will send a future pick their way. Likely second round.
Henderson - There has been talk of Walker and our second pick. Don't expect this to happen quickly.

MY Update

WARNING - if you don't like my posts - don't read this, if you don't believe my info - don't read this, if you are a troll - you are on the wrong board, if you don't like this warning - stop reading and put me on ignore,

DANGERFIELD - deal has not moved, whisper I am getting is that the AFL compo might surprise a few people (ie might be more than one pick), there will be no matching of RFA, deal is 5-6 years at around the 800k, within the pay structure
HENDERSON - deal is done and so too the trade at high level, and will be our first there might be some movement here depending on when our first is, and if we can trade it for 2 late ones, money is 400-500k again its a 4 yr type deal
SELWOOD - deal is done WCE not matching either, money is 400-500k again its a 4 yr type deal

MOTLOP - in discussions with the club with tro sticking points length of deal and $$$, feeling is both will give a bit and deal will be done, he was def gone, but form has changed a few minds and so too his attitude
LEUENBERGER - club still interested, and he wants to play as first ruck, look for a direct swap into team with Simpson, salary not high as he just wants to be first ruck, doesn't want to live in Geelong, could go to Essendon, WB
MENZEL - he is happy at the blues, but the blues think they might be best to see what they can get as their needs are bigger than what he offers, ie he is cream and they have no cake

MYSTERY MID - club are confident of landing high quality mid in trades, could involve Sydney as they need defenders and might trade out mids to get picks etc for defenders (ie three way deal)
SMITH - club is still interested depending on price etc, he has other suitors, could see a few Gee boys up there next year like Kelly, (for experience)

COWAN - most likely to be rookied, body is not great
KOLO - staying, given game time, but probably short contract

Treloar - pies bound
Hawks seriously into Bennell and O'Meara,
Zaharakis might be gone out of Essendon (fresh start)
Aish - pies bound
pies will not have ammo for motlop or danger

Seriously, credit where credit is due. Mahlepi posted this on August 15th. Since then, Danger, Smith and Henderson have requested moves to Geelong. Motlop and Kolo signed. Luenburger to Essendon and Trelor to Pies were correct. Hopefully S. Selwood announces in the next few days too. Only miss was Bennell but hey we'll give you a break on that one.

I'm hoping his/her mail is correct on the Adelaide no match and our Round 1 pick for mystery mid trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be jury still out on what he will be, shows a glimpse but next year needs to be consistent and could be as he didnt play much junior footy the year he was drafted

Very true think that is part of it.
Early on in 2015 looked way out of his depth & didn't help that they brought him back into seniors after one match in the VFL.
But then when they did bring him back to seniors after that minor injury + 4 weeks in the VFL he definitely looked like he had improved considerably already just in terms of where to run & he seemed to get more of the ball when he wasn't playing as the bloody sub. Also shows he will be a player who steps up in the big moments as he kicked that goal on the run against the Hawks late in year to keep us in it in the 3rd quarter. Then a week later he kicked a goal on the run against the Saints when Selwood was right next to him calling for it to put us in front by a point.
All these things considered, plus another full pre-season, more midfield time in 2016 & no more sub, means the utensil is ready to explode! He'll be fitter, will know the gameplan & where to run even better & will take the game on even more with the confidence in himself :D

Could be jury still out on what he will be, shows a glimpse but next year needs to be consistent and could be as he didnt play much junior footy the year he was drafted
Very big year for the whole club next year

While Wells nailed great players early on his success rate has dropped last 5 years, maybe we are just hedging our bets a little

Really? Pretty harsh given that many of those players are still developing.

Taking that into account, last year's haul looks impressive (esp Gregson at 47), year before that was Lang, Jansen and Kolo (at 41), Thurlow at 17 in 2012, in 2011 he got Murdoch at 48, McCarthy at 66 and Blitz as a rookie. I'm pretty happy with that.

after consulting the crystal ball of hope i have put together a team with average 130 games experience and average age of 25 years, assuming the listed players play most 2016 games.

FB: Mackie Taylor Thurlow
HB: Guthrie Henderson Kolo
C: Duncan S. Selwood Motlop
HF: Caddy Vardy Lang
FF: Bartel Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith, J. Selwood, Dangerfield
I: Stanley, Gregson, Enright, Cockatoo

this is on par with our 2007 team in terms of experience, age etc. Talent...well...most would have our team at round 5 2007 as no where near a premiership so you never know....

so at $17 for a 2016 premiership go have a flutter. :p

Scott Selwood tagging, vardy as a forward, stanley and smith rotating through ruck and resting up forward. Joel, danger, duncan, motlop, lang, bartel, caddy, guthrie, cockatoo rotating through the middle, taylor/hendo/kolo taking key talls with mackie and thurlow distributing. Hawkins working with menzel and vardy as a 3 pronged marking forward line, with resting mids and other smalls crumbing at their feet....

I can see it now...hawks going for 4 straight, Cats break their own 119 record to put an end to the hawk dominance with a 150 point thumping.

6 all australians in selwood, danger, duncan, motlop, taylor, menzel.
Brownlow to Selwood.
Norm Smith to Menzel for a 6 goal haul.
goal of the year to motlop.
mark of the year to vardy.....

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:
Blitz in for Cockatoo for me.
Don't get wrong I love the utensil but the Blitz can cover so many positions that might be down on the day, which to me is the ultimate bench player.
Also love Bartel in the fwd pocket.
He should have to where a netball bib(GA), if he's found inside the defensive 3rd, he gets called for offside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking that into account, last year's haul looks impressive (esp Gregson at 47), year before that was Lang, Jansen and Kolo (at 41), Thurlow at 17 in 2012, in 2011 he got Murdoch at 48, McCarthy at 66 and Blitz as a rookie. I'm pretty happy with that.
Bloody Jansen

Blitz in for Cockatoo for me.
Don't get wrong I love the utensil but the Blitz can cover so many positions that might be down on the day, which to me is the ultimate bench player.
Also love Bartel in the fwd pocket.
He should have to where a netball bib(GA), if he's found inside the defensive 3rd, he gets called for offside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to be a massive fan of Bartel playing as a loose in defence.... Until this year.
Maybe the injury affected him but his confidence down back looked absolute shot!
But as a HF/FP I think he still has a lot to offer, provided that whole forward line dramatically improves their defensive pressure

after consulting the crystal ball of hope i have put together a team with average 130 games experience and average age of 25 years, assuming the listed players play most 2016 games.

FB: Mackie Taylor Thurlow
HB: Guthrie Henderson Kolo
C: Duncan S. Selwood Motlop
HF: Caddy Vardy Lang
FF: Bartel Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith, J. Selwood, Dangerfield
I: Stanley, Gregson, Enright, Cockatoo
Go rub crystals balls harder.No Blicavs,yet he'll more than likely finish top 3 [if not win it] in the B&F tonight.

KB unsure on our recruitment strategy:

http://www.sen.com.au/audio#QiQ5OEd2Qllux5fB.97

He was also on the front foot saying that Richmond people should dare to dream because they were getting Treloar.
haha he's just a bitter old flog because 4 players have nominated Geelong and continually bypass richmond. Dangerfield, Henderson, Treloar etc have all knocked them back - they might not get Yarran either now...

Yeah- totally agree with you.
Had written a post re those players a short while ago but for some reason it didn't send.

While Wells nailed great players early on his success rate has dropped last 5 years, maybe we are just hedging our bets a little

I'm not sure if Wells' strike rate has dropped or if it's just our perception because we've had less picks. He may have struggled to nail as many picks during our years of success because of the compromised draft years- (ie. one year our first picks were Hamling and Kersten at #32, 34) as well as the lack of picks. He will never nail all of his picks, obviously, but he has had a couple of good players in most drafts- injuries to some of the draftees hasn't helped, either (i.e. the 2009 boys, McCarthy, Smedts, etc.)

Wellsy seems to be better finding hidden gems then having great results with our 1st rd pick with Selwood an exception
In recent times or overall?

Lang (2013) and Thurlow (2012), while still early in their careers, both look good to me.

Menzel was our first selection in 2009 (injured curtailed what was looking like an fairly inspired choice).

Taylor was our first pick in 2007.

Selwood you mentioned already.

People have debated Varcoe plenty so I'll park him here for 2005.

2004 we traded early picks away for Ottens.

2003 is an oridinary draft all round I think but Tenace was a bust.

Mackie was our first pick in 2002.

Bartel our first pick in 2001.

Corey our first pick in 1999.

Overall he seems to do OK with our first pick.

Smedts and Brown in recent times didn't work or haven't worked out to date but he seems to get it right more times than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back