Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Young like Beveridge? Who is only 18 months younger than Woosha. Young coaches rarely work, the last young senior coach to payoff in any meaningful way was Scott at Geelong, before that you have to go back to the guy we just appointed.

I think a lot of fans like the privilege of the failed coach being our failed coach and no one else's.

The biggest problem experienced coaches generally have second time around is that they are not given the time required to accomplish what they did first time around (whether it is as a result of the expectations of the club or the coach's failure to manage the expectations).

Always admired Woosha's ability to get the most out of heaps of dubious entities over the journey, and the spread of goal kickers he always had.

Ben McKinley kicked 72 goals in 08 and 09, and Ben McKinley was garbage. Nicoski had a 8 year career that didn't amount to a great deal, Woosha played him permanent forward in his last season and he kicked 41 goals. Going back further you've got guys like Staker, Hansen, Sampi and Hunter who were not really any more than workhorses, but still managed a good goal a game average or there abouts. I also attribute much of the growth in Hill's game to his time under woosha. We need all of that.

He also got the best out of pretty much everyone that came through his system, he brought a fair few guys in and had success there, but rarely did any eagles player move elsewhere and make the eagles look foolish.

Nicoski could play, he had a very good grand final from memory. Just had a lot of trouble with injury.

Always admired Woosha's ability to get the most out of heaps of dubious entities over the journey, and the spread of goal kickers he always had.

Ben McKinley kicked 72 goals in 08 and 09, and Ben McKinley was garbage. Nicoski had a 8 year career that didn't amount to a great deal, Woosha played him permanent forward in his last season and he kicked 41 goals. Going back further you've got guys like Staker, Hansen, Sampi and Hunter who were not really any more than workhorses, but still managed a good goal a game average or there abouts. I also attribute much of the growth in Hill's game to his time under woosha. We need all of that.

He also got the best out of pretty much everyone that came through his system, he brought a fair few guys in and had success there, but rarely did any eagles player move elsewhere and make the eagles look foolish.

Not that I disagree with you but he also had possibly one of the best midfields of the modern era at his disposal. That is going to make either end of the ground look better.
I rated Hunter a bit more than a workhorse, the way he turned games back then was crazy, similar to what happened when we swung Carlisle and Hurley those few times. Just changed the course of a game in a single move.

Nicoski could play, he had a very good grand final from memory. Just had a lot of trouble with injury.

Correct.

Also, Sampi was no workhorse. He had talent coming out of his arse but he also had some personal issues come up which bought out his lazy side and ended his career very prematurely. With better luck he would have been Cyril Rioli before Cyril Rioli.

Still, Jack Package's post is correct overall, even if the specific examples aren't precise. Particularly early on, Woosha was very good at developing players.

Don't know about you guys but I feel their is a real sense of direction and leadership at the club now since Woosha took over.
Well hopefully.

But it's been only a week, mate. ;)
Dude, it's the vibe.

There was plenty of direction til WADA stepped in from the previous setup too.

However John is saying and doing the right things so far and I'm pleased for that but there's nothing like a few losses in a row to set the knee jerks in action.

I'm sick of words. I don't care who they are from or what the content is. I stopped listening well before Hird left.

I want results. Nothing else matters.

However John is saying and doing the right things so far

Thank * for that. It's been a while since the club has done that

It's just good to not have every word critiqued to see if it can become a WADA/ASADA/sack Hird type story. Right now, it seems about the football club in a footballing sense and it's a bloody nice change.

I'm sick of words. I don't care who they are from or what the content is. I stopped listening well before Hird left.

I want results. Nothing else matters.
This times a million.

No more PR talk, just get s**t done.

Dude, it's the vibe.

There was plenty of direction til WADA stepped in from the previous setup too.

However John is saying and doing the right things so far and I'm pleased for that but there's nothing like a few losses in a row to set the knee jerks in action.
Vibe means nothing if you don't have results to show for it.

I've liked what I've heard so far but let's see that translated into action.

Don't know about you guys but I feel their is a real sense of direction and leadership at the club now since Woosha took over.

??? Nothing has happened since the appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than getting endorsement from the media. As much as it sickens me to say it, that's pretty important for where we're coming from.

Nothing to do with direction and leadership.

I don't believe it is. ;)

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Woosha has said all of the right things so far.
I was referring to the first line in my post. More in reference to The Castle and B4L's post.

I have been relatively pleased with what I've heard and seen but will reserve judgement til I can be shown correct in hindsight like a true web forum hero. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back