MMA-UFC UFC 192 Cormier v Gustafsson

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I gave in. Bought this online and got a 6 month Fight Pass subscription for half price with it. Pretty good if anyone wants to do that for the next PPV.

Cormier/Gustafsson was great. 49-46 Cormier through to 48-47 Gustafsson could all be argued. I'm glad Cormier won because he very clearly won rounds 1 and 5. If Gustafsson got the nod it'd be because he won 3 extremely close rounds.

Really enjoyed watching Bader pick apart Evans. It wasn't an entertaining fight on its own, but I don't really need that any more. If the fighters are good and I'm familiar with them then I can appreciate the performance. I listened to something and they compared Bader to GSP. Obviously Bader's nowhere near as good as GSP was, but he's similar in ways. They both have fights that aren't good/exciting, but they go through a process that dismantles their opposition. I like it.

I find Magomedov more enjoyable than most probably do. What's so interesting to me is that he's not fighting like most (any?) other heavyweights. He's fighting in a way that's more suited to lighter weight classes. It's weird and he'll probably find out soon enough that it's a style that won't be kind to him as he rises the ranks.

I love me some Albert Tumenov. His last fight against Musoke was probably a more impressive win than this, but Jouban is a tough guy to finish and Tumenov put him away quickly and brutally.

Tumenov's UFC finishes are awesome. His 2 other UFC fights went to decision. Musoke won the first round against him and absolutely blasted Tumenov with body kicks. Tumenov coming back to win the last two rounds was very impressive. His loss to Alcantara is no big deal. It was his first UFC fight, he was 22, it was against a veteran and it was close. I think he'd beat Alcantara comfortably now. Really looking forward to Tumenov's next fight and to see how good he can get as he's still only 23 and improving every fight.

Tumenov's UFC finishes:

tumblr_ncx7f38cgP1qhndw9o1_500.gif

AmrcEEv.gif

giphy.gif

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Makhachev has a bright future too. Facing someone like Martins was too much for him at this stage of his career. Really weird booking actually for both guys.

I don't really get all the Northcutt attention. This is his only fight I've seen and he looked really good against someone he was supposed to look good against. Okay, so I'll keep an eye on him and see how he goes. Is he getting all this attention because the UFC and the MMA media are talking him up? Or have fans seen his other fights? Or is it because of the way he looks? He's no different than any other UFC fighter getting a good win in his debut to me. Maybe someone can explain what I'm missing.

Unless he ends up being some sort of Jon Jones type talent then the UFC are going to have to take it very slowly with him. 19, very early into his career in both number of fights and time spent in the sport. He's also at Lightweight which is the deepest division in the UFC. Rush him and he likely gets destroyed. They need to keep giving him guys like Trevino. There's not many of them at LW in the UFC, so they might have to bring in some opponents almost solely for him to beat.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Makhachev has a bright future too. Facing someone like Martins was too much for him at this stage of his career. Really weird booking actually for both guys.

I don't really get all the Northcutt attention. This is his only fight I've seen and he looked really good against someone he was supposed to look good against. Okay, so I'll keep an eye on him and see how he goes. Is he getting all this attention because the UFC and the MMA media are talking him up? Or have fans seen his other fights? Or is it because of the way he looks? He's no different than any other UFC fighter getting a good win in his debut to me. Maybe someone can explain what I'm missing.

Unless he ends up being some sort of Jon Jones type talent then the UFC are going to have to take it very slowly with him. 19, very early into his career in both number of fights and time spent in the sport. He's also at Lightweight which is the deepest division in the UFC. Rush him and he likely gets destroyed. They need to keep giving him guys like Trevino. There's not many of them at LW in the UFC, so they might have to bring in some opponents almost solely for him to beat.
I have no doubt that's what they did for his fight on the weekend. He was such an obvious can.. He couldn't make weight at 155lbs, and he had a spare tyre still. He'll get a bunch more in the next 2 years before they actually give him opponents with any real quality, he is still just a boy afterall.

Back