Mega Thread Possible trades in 2015 for the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No didn't mention him, although I didn't hear the interview myself. Anderson, Menzel and Hampton were the ones mentioned.

Im lead to believe have come into the Yarran picture late and it's still very early days. Maybe due to missed targets, Yarran is next on the list?

Betts might have moved some of Nobles magnets

Could have had his brother Oscar for pick 50 something in last years draft who looked pretty decent in the couple of games he played late in the season, really hoped we would snaffle him but it wasn't to be.

Yes, I heard about him and was keen for AFC to select him but they Wigged out and selected McGovern instead.

Hea

heard the same thing. Skippos reckons it falls off a cliff after pick 25.

About that, yep.

Jed Anderson is a jet IMO, but as far as negotiations go, he's not somebody worth paying up for. He's speculative and he's playing reserves footy. Like Hampton, these are the kind of players usually underpriced by the market - and I can understand why; paying a premium for someone who can't break into their own team's 22 and is unrefined as a player is tough.

But often they end up worth it. It's smart list management targetting these types provided Dodoro isn't on the other side of the table.

I was hoping by painting an entire picture, people would see that even with a conservative approach on the danger trade, we could still improve our side.

It would be great if someone with draft knowledge could put some names to picks 8 and 9 to demonstrate what our team could look like. These are two top ten picks - something our team will have none of when dangers gone (excl B Crouch)

Thanks NikkiNoo for the tag.

I think we might look towards another key forward with one. If you want genuine good ones - you've got to go early. Tex and JJ are great but if one goes down - Dear isn't ready nor is he close to a guarantee to make it, McGovern is raw and not really a key and Lowden hasn't shown great aptitude forward of centre.

It's an area currently a massive strength which could become a liability quickly, as we'd either have a spud there or Lynch, changing our structure.

My guess is we recruit one, back our established system in to develop them into an afl footballer without the pressure of needing to impact immediately. Long term, by the time they've had four years in the system and are hitting their straps, Jenkins is 31 and Tex 30. I'm a firm believer of recruiting key forwards three or so years before you'll need one - as they take that long.

Taking a project tall like Harry McKay could be the way to go, with our system he'd have time to develop in the magoos without Watts-esque pressure, he'd have the perfect mentors to learn off - JJ who's a similar type of athletic style forward and Tex who can hopefully get a bit of mongrel in him, and he'd be able to slot in when those two are declining.

I suspect we'll take McKay at our first pick. If we go down the KPF path, I'd expect very little impact at senior level for at least two years. It's an investment in the medium term future.

With the second first, depending on trade week I think we'll look to an outside player. A Darcy Tucker, Cal Ah Chee or Wayne Milera - all of whom could be 16-25th best player on lists types in year one.

Unilaterally? At the clubs sole discretion? List managers need to be shot for allowing a provision like that into a player contract!
Alan Obst was drafted by Adelaide in 2005 and delisted in 2006. They paid out the remaining year of his contract and he played 2006 for Centrals, before being drafted again by Melbourne.

Why should List Managers be shot for allowing it? You do realise that list managers work for the club?

This is covered by section 12 of the AFL CBA 2012-2016, reproduced (in part) below:
12. Termination Payment
12.1 An AFL Club shall be entitled to apply to the AFL to delete a Player’s name from its List and by written notice to the Player in accordance with the contract, terminate the contract upon the Player being delisted.
There are a whole heap of rules that follow, detailing what the player is entitled to in terms of a lump sum payment as compensation.

Hang on, can't Aish nominate for the National Draft? Like someone reckons PD might threaten to do?

Which club would give up their pick before Collingwood for him?

Carlton not giving up #1
Brisbane not giving up #2
Gold Coast don't need another bust
Essendon / St Kilda / Melbourne? I doubt it.
The argument is that Collingwod won't have a 1st round draft selection, because they will be giving it to GWS as part of the Treloar deal. I doubt he'd still be there by their 2nd round pick.

About that, yep.

Jed Anderson is a jet IMO, but as far as negotiations go, he's not somebody worth paying up for. He's speculative and he's playing reserves footy. Like Hampton, these are the kind of players usually underpriced by the market - and I can understand why; paying a premium for someone who can't break into their own team's 22 and is unrefined as a player is tough.

But often they end up worth it. It's smart list management targetting these types provided Dodoro isn't on the other side of the table.

I think we might look towards another key forward with one. If you want genuine good ones - you've got to go early. Tex and JJ are great but if one goes down - Dear isn't ready nor is he close to a guarantee to make it, McGovern is raw and not really a key and Lowden hasn't shown great aptitude forward of centre.

It's an area currently a massive strength which could become a liability quickly, as we'd either have a spud there or Lynch, changing our structure.

My guess is we recruit one, back our established system in to develop them into an afl footballer without the pressure of needing to impact immediately. Long term, by the time they've had four years in the system and are hitting their straps, Jenkins is 31 and Tex 30. I'm a firm believer of recruiting key forwards three or so years before you'll need one - as they take that long.

Taking a project tall like Harry McKay could be the way to go, with our system he'd have time to develop in the magoos without Watts-esque pressure, he'd have the perfect mentors to learn off - JJ who's a similar type of athletic style forward and Tex who can hopefully get a bit of mongrel in him, and he'd be able to slot in when those two are declining.

I suspect we'll take McKay at our first pick. If we go down the KPF path, I'd expect very little impact at senior level for at least two years. It's an investment in the medium term future.

With the second first, depending on trade week I think we'll look to an outside player. A Darcy Tucker, Cal Ah Chee or Wayne Milera - all of whom could be 16-25th best player on lists types in year one.
That's what I was certainly thinking with at least one of the top 10 picks. It would be a quality young kid who would play most games pushing one of our usual fringe players out.

Not having had a top 10 pick in how long, this could be a great opportunity to take a couple to the draft.

About that, yep.

You don't think with the development of Knight and Aitkin, and the recruiting aim of as many 189cm running kicks as the AFc can get its hands on that the second draft pick will be the best mid available, potentially a big bodied inside mid?

Alan Obst was drafted by Adelaide in 2005 and delisted in 2006. They paid out the remaining year of his contract and he played 2006 for Centrals, before being drafted again by Melbourne.

Why should List Managers be shot for allowing it? You do realise that list managers work for the club?

This is covered by section 12 of the AFL CBA 2012-2016, reproduced (in part) below:

There are a whole heap of rules that follow, detailing what the player is entitled to in terms of a lump sum payment as compensation.
Sorry, meant player agents. Not list managers. This is essentially a dismissal without cause clause. Fair enough. Just surprised.

About that, yep.

A player of Jed Andersons ability is someone you would be absolutely willing to pay overs for to bring, or at least I would.

It's not like the kid hasn't been in the side because of his footballing ability, he just hasn't had the run. A serious, serious illness in which his life was in the balance, a few injuries and family issues.... Hasn't been an easy ride for him. When he has been fit, he's been selected without doubt for a team that's just done a 3-peat, that's a feat in itself.

Hampton on the otherhand hasn't had trouble with any of these 3 things. Fell out of favour in a bottom of the table side. Completely different scenario to Anderson imo. Hampton is one that I would be a lot more speculative of for obvious reasons. Could very easily turn it around with a new club, based on his talent as a junior, but the chance of success is a lot lower no doubt.

If we snagged Anderson id be over the moon.

North melbourne. :)

s**t, Freo did it today with Josh DeLuca.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A player of Jed Andersons ability is someone you would be absolutely willing to pay overs for to bring, or at least I would.

Exactly why? He wasn't a top prospect when drafted/pre-listed and hasn't done anything since

I can see what makes him maybe worth a cheap punt but what makes you think he is this uber talented stud? GWS gave him away for a half eaten sandwich

Essendon's premiership team of 2000 had father son selection dustin Fletcher

Oh yeah, and get this, back in 1990 the most unscrupulous club in the land also drafted Hird as a 17yr old from the ACT zone, when ACT zone players were off limits unless they were 19, and not required by the Swans.

Last edited:
Agreed. When do you think the AFL will change the rule about not allowing players to be traded? It's been killing us recently
Lost me there colonel ...we had pretty ordinary trade effort last year admittedly but needed to use our first 2 picks in draft given the sanctions of prev 2 years which also stuffed our trading plans

So yep we haven't been getting results through trade for a while

Jenkins and lynch trades were savvy enough going a while back ? And Jacobs a ripper

But we really need to get involved this year

IGee, is it Essendon in 2000?

You could nearly get all the way back to us!
Essendon benefited from Freo's introduction - they gave up a rubbish player and were duly compensated with picks at the very front of the draft queue. That's how they landed Matthew Lloyd.

Adelaide's flags were largely the result of our start-up concessions (i.e. the ability to recruit players like Hart, Smart & Roo outside the drafting system).

It's quite possible that Collingwood's 1990 and Hawthorn's 1991 AFL premierships are the only one which aren't tainted in some way. Even then, I wouldn't be 100% certain of that, as I'm not sure if they gained any benefit during the WCE/Brisbane start-ups.

Lost me there colonel ...we had pretty ordinary trade effort last year admittedly but needed to use our first 2 picks in draft given the sanctions of prev 2 years which also stuffed our trading plans

So yep we haven't been getting results through trade for a while

Jenkins and lynch trades were savvy enough going a while back ? And Jacobs a ripper

But we really need to get involved this year

I'll tell you what I meant: this we didn't have currency argument is straight up ******* dumb. :)

Exactly why? He wasn't a top prospect when drafted/pre-listed and hasn't done anything since

I can see what makes him maybe worth a cheap punt but what makes you think he is this uber talented stud? GWS gave him away for a half eaten sandwich
I agree 100%. He may have loads of potential, and I have seen glimpses of it (in NAB games primarily), but he is not worth paying overs for. No way. I think some are going over the top in their praise of Jed Anderson.

have you seen him play before?

If we could get the full match replay of when Jed was 17 playing against Richmond you'd be convinced.

He is a genuine gun player. Gws gave him away for a half eaten sand which because they really wanted a mature key defender.

You don't think with the development of Knight and Aitkin, and the recruiting aim of as many 189cm running kicks as the AFc can get its hands on that the second draft pick will be the best mid available, potentially a big bodied inside mid?

No, I don't. Not at this stage, I think to target another middle of the road inside mid would be irresponsible. Anywhere but, I'd advocate.

have you seen him play before?

If we could get the full match replay of when Jed was 17 playing against Richmond you'd be convinced.

He is a genuine gun player. Gws gave him away for a half eaten sand which because they really wanted a mature key defender.
Been a fair few champs at 17 who turned out to be spuds. Fergus Watts, anyone?

I'll tell you what I meant: this we didn't have currency argument is straight up ******* dumb. :)
Well we didn't have any draft picks before the 3rd round and it's hard to make wine out of water

Tell me what we should have done and be specific eg ins and outs scenarios , I'd be interested to hear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back