Oppo Camp Dangerfield's Gone (Zero tolerance to trolling) - READ THREAD LINKED IN OP BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

So, what made us say yes to the deal?

Why did we help Geelong out last year?

Because the deal also involved us trading our #35 (Harrison Wigg) for your #47 (Cory Gregson).

We both got the players we wanted with our first round picks, and you got a 12 pick upgrade later in the draft for helping us out.

The very definition of a win-win.

If this is how it goes down, and there has been rumblings that this is exactly what is happening with the negotiations, then a deal that is clearly more favorable to Adelaide than just 1 mid-late 1st round draft pick is probably something most would be okay to accept. The AFL gave me the impression they wouldn't let this happen, though, but who knows what they have said they will and will not accept.
I wouldn't be too concerned about what the AFL come out and say publicly. Reckon they'd want this deal to go just as smoothly as any of us. If we worked out a scenario that both clubs were happy with but the AFL didn't approve and that was the cause of any preseason/national draft moves, I just can't see them letting that happen. All my opinion of course.

Nah mate Cockatoo is a deadset champion of the game and they're building their whole side around him. No chance he'll be traded because he's worth more than 2 Dangerfields. Even though he was drafted at pick 10 last year, his absolutely scintillating season, in which he played 11 games and averaged a whopping 7.6 touches a game, has seen him skyrocket in value. If we want Cockatoo for Danger, we're gonna have to throw in our first, second and third rounders for the next two years. Danger might be considered a top 5 player right now, right at the beginning of his prime, but Nakia Cockatoo HAS SO MUCH MORE POTENTIAL!!

I don't know how you can say with a straight face that Dangerfield isn't worth Cockatoo and pick 9, yet I have not read a single Geelong supporter who hasn't scoffed at the idea. Leigh Matthews valued Danger at picks 1, 2 and 3. At the very least, Danger is worth a couple of top 10 picks - one in the top 5. We don't expect to get this, since he's named a club with **** all trade currency (so-so first round pick and a list of unimpressive youngsters/32 year olds) and is out of contract. But it's ******* tiresome continuously hearing that Pick 9 and Cockatoo is A RIDICULOUS REQUEST, or that 'Pick 14 for Danger is about right' one sentence after 'Two first rounders for Treloar is about right' or 'Jed "Who?" Anderson is worth more than Adelaide's first rounder'.

We will almost certainly match, and it's pretty friggin rare that champion players do actually end up in the PSD. I really hope we get what we're after. Geelong fans seemingly can't just be happy with pinching our best player - they're obsessed with getting him for free. It ain't happening. He's an RFA and we have the cap space to match.

I'm excited about what we'll do this trade week, but I can't wait until it's over. Jesus christ.

giphy.gif

We wanted to move in closer with our second round pick as we targeted Maynard who ended up at Collingwood before our upgraded pick
Is this a concrete fact, or a rumour? Maynard looks like a beauty, by the way. Wigg will be OK too.

If we are trying to use the compo pick and do a deal with Geelong for pick 9, could we swap 2 later picks for pick 9?

They need picks for all their trades.

So far unless we pick up some players we might not need them. We might only need to use 3 picks and they could all be under 20.

Would a second rounder and third rounder be seen to be fair for pick 9 if those picks were needed by Geelong?

If we are trying to use the compo pick and do a deal with Geelong for pick 9, could we swap 2 later picks for pick 9?

So far unless we pick up some players we might not need them. We might only need to use 3 picks and they could all be under 20.

Would a second rounder and third rounder be seen to be fair for pick 9 if those picks were needed by Geelong?
I think we're going to have moved about 10 players by the end of this season, and if we bring all 4 that we are targeting in that stills leaves 6 spots open to fill with draft picks. So I think we could definitely argue that in our case quantity>quality as we'd rather multiple picks from say 20-50 than one pick at 9 and five more at 80+. It's going to be interesting.

But a free agent nonetheless right? The term free agent isn't solely used for just unrestricted free agents surely? Scott Selwood is a free agent, and he's in the same boat as Dangerfield. So he's a free agent too.

A restricted free agent only becomes a free agent if they're offered a deal that their current club is unwilling to match. If the club matches then they're not a free agent and have to either re-sign with the club, change clubs via trade or enter the draft.

It's not really a hard concept to grasp, I also find it slightly amusing that most of the Geelong supporters are blaming us for the problem yet are overlooking the fact that their club has had Selwood and Danger on their radar for a while now yet is continuing to persist down the path of offering lowball deals that they know are going to be matched.

I think we're going to have moved about 10 players by the end of this season, and if we bring all 4 that we are targeting in that stills leaves 6 spots open to fill with draft picks. So I think we could definitely argue that in our case quantity>quality as we'd rather multiple picks from say 20-50 than one pick at 9 and five more at 80+. It's going to be interesting.
In all seriousness, is anyone on your board questioning what the hell your list management team are thinking?

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't really give a * what Geelong needs.

He's easily worth more than that - happy that you conceded that, at least.

Gas was a unique circumstance, and you did get stitched up - same as we did with Bock and Davis.

Franklin contract was a joke, the AFL should've never approved; and we now know why the Hawks we're fussed.

Carlton had the option to match; they didn't.

Draft picks are speculative and frequently bust.

So you think Cockatoo could become one of the top 10 players in the competition?

Because if Selwood was on the table, there are about 3 Crows players I wouldn't trade; and none of them are first year draftees.
I think people are scared of trading away youngsters with potential due to the fact that the last "mega trade" fresh in people's minds is the Judd deal, and Kennedy, as part of that deal, has gone on to become an out and out gun himself. But look at the other big forwards picked in the top ten from that draft and the few following that.

2005: Beau Dowler (pick 6), Mitch Clarke (pick 9)
2006: Scott Gumbleton (pick 2), Lachlan Hansen (pick 3), Mitch Thorp (pick 6), Ben Reid (pick 8)
2007: Jarryd Grant (Pick 5), Lachlan Henderson (pick 8)
2008: Jack Watts (pick 1), Michael Hurley (pick 5), Ty Vickery (pick 8)

Had Kennedy gone on to be like any of these other highly rated talents - with the exception of Hurley perhaps - Carlton would have said to have made out like bandits. Pick 3 turned into Masten, who is good but hardly great and pick 20 turned into Tony Notte... Kennedy, in some people's eyes, tips the scale of that trade. Hence why I think people are very reluctant to consider trading youngsters with potential. But realistically, that first round draft pick your club has probably won't turn into the superstar you think he will be.

To be fair, I'd be pretty disappointed if Lever were traded away but if it meant landing one of the established stars of the AFL, I'd probably wear it. But this is where trading future picks is pretty awesome. It means you can potentially trade for superstars without having to part with much loved youngsters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wanted to move in closer with our second round pick as we targeted Maynard who ended up at Collingwood before our upgraded pick

Thanks.

So, in other words nothing underhanded happened. It was done for a specific reason.

To be fair, I'd be pretty disappointed if Lever were traded away but if it meant landing one of the established stars of the AFL, I'd probably wear it.
Bingo. If, say, Dan Hannebery requested a trade to Adelaide, I'd give up pick 9 and Lever in a heartbeat, while shouting 'START THE CAR!' at the top of my lungs.

Seems like an odd time to be going for dangerfield then. swapping out 1/4 of your list sounds a lot like a rebuild, not a time to be paying in young talent and high picks for a premiere top up player.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't really give a **** what Geelong needs.
You are missing my point, I'm only suggesting that as a reason why the afl might sign off on trading two average picks for one good one. Assuming of course we didn't intend on using them.

And maybe the AFL will seek to ensure that a Free Agent gets to his club of choice with very few encumbrances. No club will touch him for a first rounder if he goes to the ND. And Adelaide get nothing. But that'd be winning, right?

WOW.

And maybe the AFL will seek to ensure that a Free Agent gets to his club of choice with very few encumbrances. No club will touch him for a first rounder if he goes to the ND. And Adelaide get nothing. But that'd be winning, right?

Oh come on. He's no longer a Free Agent if he's made it to the draft, is he? The ******* union that represents the players sat in and drew these rules up and then signed off on them.

What is unacceptable is that we play the role of facilitating extras in the Geelong story

We do not exist to make life easy for Geelong or for smug pricks like mr dangerfield /Alex mode

Cmon Danger aint smug and he aint a prick, hes taking unders to be close to his family, he gave you amazing service, no doubt id be upset if a player of his quality wished to leave, but he aint smug or a prick IMO...

Whats fair i have no idea, in top 3 players in comp IMO, look at treloar and the overs including my club will TRY to pay...

He used to be our smug prick, but he's always been one.

I agree he knows hes good/brilliant wouldnt say smug though, id say an air of arrogance, but well deserved...

Always sad when these types (guns) leave TBH... Not happy personally and i live abroad but love my AFL that FA/RFA/contracted players (danger RFA) and the whole love of the jumper is diminishing, to be expected with money etc... Becoming more like American sports and the players and player managers are the winners unfortunately, not our sport!

Edit - Dangers not going for money, about to start a young family, very well spoken and a samrt chap and thats the bones of my first post.. i get it but terrible for AFC and sad for footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back