Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he's the answer right now as he's only a first year player and now he's had the injury setback, but I think he'll be back to where he left off soon, and that was in the mix for a senior appearance.
He'll need VFL games to build confidence and regain touch again and hopefully all goes well and he sees senior footy before season's end.

He definitely has the frame for it, so he is promising. I'd suspect that they might try to squeeze a game in for him at the end of the year if things aren't
going well with our ladder position and he has good form. I liked what I saw in the one VFL game earlier in the year.

He's shown more in 10 games than Dawson Simpson has shown in 6 years on the list.

One of several smart things he did yesterday. There was another passage where the ball hit the deck after a ball up, one of our little blokes picked it up, and Blitz with two steps opened up a mile of space by cutting the run at the ball carrier of two or three Hawthorn players.

Only problem was our bloke was so surprised to suddenly find he had such a clear path he fell over lol.

Been saying it from pretty much the outset that Blitz is a very very smart footballer.

But he could just about be the smartest footballer in the comp right now.

The things he does without the ball are unbelievable, some of which i've never seen any other player do with such instincts.

First two are after his first senior game (the 10 games included NAB Cup and VFL, third was in July 13 :)

First two are after his first senior game (the 10 games included NAB Cup and VFL, third was in July 13 :)
I believed you :) You didn't need to find those quotes :)

I might read through those old threads - it's always interesting to see how people thought things would play out way back then. ;) In his first few games, I remember watching him stand still, assess the big picture around him, then choose the best option. It was like he had a magic ability to slow down time around him and everyone around him was walking through treacle. He had a massive what looked like a "deer in the headlights" situation in one early game but that was just how it appeared to us- he was thinking it through, he didn't panic, he just thought his way out of the predicament that he was in, and he worked his way out of it.

And in his second year, how many times was he caught by his opponent but his hands were free and he calmly passed the ball out of congestion?

those are the pictures of Blitz's early days that are etched into my mind. No doubt as his career progresses, I will forget them as they are replaced in due course by more everlasting fresh memories of his achievements.

I believed you :) You didn't need to find those quotes :)

I might read through those old threads - it's always interesting to see how people thought things would play out way back then. ;) In his first few games, I remember watching him stand still, assess the big picture around him, then choose the best option. It was like he had a magic ability to slow down time around him and everyone around him was walking through treacle. He had a massive what looked like a "deer in the headlights" situation in one early game but that was just how it appeared to us- he was thinking it through, he didn't panic, he just thought his way out of the predicament that he was in, and he worked his way out of it.

And in his second year, how many times was he caught by his opponent but his hands were free and he calmly passed the ball out of congestion?

those are the pictures of Blitz's early days that are etched into my mind. No doubt as his career progresses, I will forget them as they are replaced in due course by more everlasting fresh memories of his achievements.

I don't mind quoting myself ;)

Seriously though, I copped a bit of s**t for that last call at the time. I feel vindicated now that's for sure :D

That second quote was hilarious and worth a read for the sheer comedy of the moment. :)

It was funny to watch, and if you go back and watch the game again you'll see the passage I was referring to.

I can't remember who it was that fell over, but they'd got the ball and had braced themselves to get smashed by Hawthorn players, next thing he knew he had a paddock to run into, but the wheels were already spinning and down he went lol.

there will be some stout chests in this thread..

And some flag waving apologists.

Its always the same way.

Best thing is that GFC have a player that is devoted to the club, that is an exceptional talent, 24 years old with 6-7 really good years in front of him that cost us NOTHING other than development time and effort.

Congratulations Blitz.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I witnessed Blitz play his first game (VFL) a few years ago. Understandably due to concentrating on other sporting activities, he was, well very rusty. To see him evolve into the player he has become & also winning his first Carji Greeves medal in such a short space of time is an incredible achievement. I'm so glad he is a Cats player. Stephen Wells & co did well!

Good season from Mark.

I think his best attribute is he does not panic with the ball, always looks to give it off to a best option.

On the very rare occasions he gets done fior HTB it's probably because that was actually the best option. (As in better off slowing the game down and giving up a free than turning the ball over instantly)

Last edited:
Watched Blitz in all his vfl games in late 2012. Was on board then just watching his effort and tackling, held out hope but never imagined her come so far so quick. A credit to all involved.

Now we just need him to keep improving on the curve he's along whilst finishing mid-table in next years Carji..

Well done Blitz. Great story.

I can remember him jostling with Majak Daw in the goalsquare in one of his early games and it looked like 2 baby giraffes trying to walk and wrestle at the same time.
Meteoric rise, and will only get better as we surround him with more complimentary players.

Very happy for him. Proud to say I was a Blitziever from day dot.
I chuckled.

Perhaps it will catch on if you say it often enough. :D

Remarkable effort from Blicavs, in his third year to boot.

Yes, way back when I was one of the posters who thought he needed a run in the twos.

I was a poster who wondered if he did enough to justify his spot in the side.

Well, consider me chewing on a bit of humble pie as I write this (although I don't think I was overly critical of him at the start of 2014 but I'll make the humble pie comment just in case someone finds something I forgot about).

Great year from a guy who still looks to have a fair bit of development in him. Looking forward to seeing how he goes again next year and how he'll be used.

And, to show we don't always bag the Match Committee and the coaches, credit to them for seeing Blicavs' undoubted potential and getting the experience into him.

It is paying off quicker than many of us probably thought.

Yeah, I will put my hand up as well. I saw him as an athlete trying to be a footballer, but his rate of progress has been ridiculous. If he keeps on improving, who knows where his ceiling is.

I think equal parts backup ruckman / midfield seems to work ok. Hard to say if that can be continued with Smith arriving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back