Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

The lord helps those who help themselves. This part IS up to the WA sides. They would still get the home crowd and the proven benefits from that, while they would gain an MCG size oval and that might actually benefit them in winng a flag, rather than turing up in September and finding out they have no idea how to play a ground that size.

So we should lose our advantage we have against Vic sides in the hope we continue to play in finals?
Come off it, it's up to the AFL to give more games to sides outside of Vic at the one ground where finals are guaranteed to be played.

So we should lose our advantage we have against Vic sides in the hope we continue to play in finals?
Come off it, it's up to the AFL to give more games to sides outside of Vic at the one ground where finals are guaranteed to be played.

Sure the AFL fixture doesnt help, but you arent doing yourselves any favours either. Your biggest advantage isnt the field size in any case - and its a distinct disadvantage in the last week of September. We may have seen some evidence of that just recently.

Sure the AFL fixture doesnt help, but you arent doing yourselves any favours either. Your biggest advantage isnt the field size in any case - and its a distinct disadvantage in the last week of September. We may have seen some evidence of that just recently.

I'll think you'll find we lost the GF because we played like a team of turds, nothing to do with the ground.

Could be wrong, but of the 13 Grand finals played between Vic and non Vic sides at the MCG, its 8-5 in favor of non vic sides and this includes the last 3 being won by such a dominant Hawthorn team, so yeah the complaints don't really hold up at all.
That being said, all clubs should be given more opportunities to play at the MCG throughout the year given that the Grand Final is always going to be played there. There's more to playing at a ground than just the basic dimensions.

Could be wrong, but of the 13 Grand finals played between Vic and non Vic sides at the MCG, its 8-5 in favor of non vic sides and this includes the last 3 being won by such a dominant Hawthorn team, so yeah the complaints don't really hold up at all.
That being said, all clubs should be given more opportunities to play at the MCG throughout the year given that the Grand Final is always going to be played there. There's more to playing at a ground than just the basic dimensions.

Yeah its 8-6 was 8-3 before 2013.

In a proper single round-robin season (playing everyone once either home or away) you could get 3-4 games at the MCG each year, but you could also still get only 1, depending on who you play and if you end up in Launceston. Unless the AFL stops letting the Vic clubs choose their main home ground and fixtures based on a "best fit plus at least 3 games each at the G" rule, you could still end up playing Collingwood Essendon Hawthorn NM and WB, and find you've got 4 games at Etihad and one at Aurora.

Could it be possible then once this new stadium is built that a need for a rectangular stadium, ala AAMI Park in Victoria, could be built later on? Would be magnificent to have a sporting capital feel to Perth. Once the transport and pedestrian access is completed, then the smaller stadium would be perfectly set up. Just going to the NIB Stadium in Leederville is pretty foreign with limited public transport and much like Subi Oval where in the middle of housing/apartments.

Dont believe what you hear re rectangular AAMI in Melbourne, adding on is theoretically possible, practically:no way!

And then complain about not being used to the MCG com september?

The complaint, i.e the request to the AFL is to play on the ground where the GF is played - its not as if the venue can be earned, its an unearned benefit for a chosen few clubs. As long as the GF venue remains unearned & the AFL preaches equalisation, the AFL might practice what it preaches, what chance !!

Our club is in the process of building new training facilities, with one training ground being the same dimensions as the MCG, so it's not like the club isn't being proactive. Pretty sure the club has requested games at the MCG as part of their fixture request, but not had much luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont believe what you hear re rectangular AAMI in Melbourne, adding on is theoretically possible, practically:no way!
Not sure why they bother with the 'capacity can be increased at a later stage' garbage. Its going to be alot more expensive to increase it later on than to add those seats in now.
AAMI park can be increased I think to 40,000, at a cost of about $150m. Can't have possibly cost that much if they had done that at the initial construction phase.

Not sure why they bother with the 'capacity can be increased at a later stage' garbage. Its going to be alot more expensive to increase it later on than to add those seats in now.
AAMI park can be increased I think to 40,000, at a cost of about $150m. Can't have possibly cost that much if they had done that at the initial construction phase.
Just because its that much more at AAMI doesnt mean it is that much more for new perth stadium. AAMI's roof is seriously unique. cheaper overall to build a stadium you can afford to maintain now generally.

The complaint, i.e the request to the AFL is to play on the ground where the GF is played - its not as if the venue can be earned, its an unearned benefit for a chosen few clubs. As long as the GF venue remains unearned & the AFL preaches equalisation, the AFL might practice what it preaches, what chance !!
if you really want to play more mcg games then sell home games to collingwood ;) otherwise grow your melb supporter base yourself so you have a better case to be scheduled their.

if you really want to play more mcg games then sell home games to collingwood ;) otherwise grow your melb supporter base yourself so you have a better case to be scheduled their.

As if the AFL would allow that. Clubs only get to sell home games if it is taking the game ti a new market. Same reasoning why they wouldn't allow North to sell home games to Subi.

For it's size Perth Oval is in a fine location. Walking distance from both Claisebrook and East Perth so I can't see how public transport is bad for it.

People say the same about Coopers Stadium - listen to some people you'd think it's out in the sticks, when it's one train stop out of the city, there's a tram stop that's a 5 minute walk, there's several bus routes nearby, a massive car park across the road, and theoretically you could walk from the city to the stadium (about a 30 minute walk).

Why didn't you mention allowing clubs to earn the GF for their venue - only those who benefit from not having to pay their way LOSE, freeloading is an appropriate description goldie.

Why didn't you mention allowing clubs to earn the GF for their venue - only those who benefit from not having to pay their way LOSE, freeloading is an appropriate description goldie.
yeh great point, when gws make it they should play at spotless :S :/

Probably appropriate size tho considering how many people would want to go

I was about to chime in and say yeh they should make it mcg sized. Why wouldn't you. Until I read the comment above. Watching games at mcg is good but only because the atmosphere around me I can never see a great deal. If the new stadium is better viewing for the public then that's all id care about. Mcg size training field is a good idea. They now have the advantage when playing at home and less of a disadvantage when playing at the G. I thought they have a mcg sized training oval already. If not then how stupid

Designed with expansion in mind. Top deck has the space for further stands and seats built in. So no expense modifying the existing infrastructure to add extra capacity, just bolt it on.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

b8859281z.1_20151011134156_000_gk5bhim7.3_1-1b1ju4e.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back