GWS Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

If we let Treloar walk to the PSD on a HUGE contract at Carlton will we get compensation ?

Write up on some possible future Giants from a Emma Quayle piece:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...mall-and-medium-forwards-20151008-gk48or.html

Jacob Hopper (6/02/1997. 186cm, 82kg. North Ballarat Rebels/GWS Academy)

Medium midfielder

AFL biography: Medium midfielder with an excellent work ethic who has the ability to win the footy both on the inside and outside. Shows excellent composure with the ball in hand, making smart decisions and executing well. A boarder at St Patrick's College in Ballarat, he is also a member of the GWS Giants Academy. He won the NSW/ACT MVP. Member of NAB AFL Academy. Averaged 26.7 disposals (16.3 contested), 6 inside 50s and 8.7 clearances a game during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships winning All-Australian honours.

"Jacob's an inside player who can also go forward and kick some goals. He's very, very good when it comes to one on one contested footy, he rarely gets defeated in a contest and he hunts the ball really well. He's the ultimate professional and what I mean by that is that he does everything he possibly can to get the the best out of himself. His preparation and his mindset are probably the best I've seen come through the Rebels in my time. We always say that when we need someone to step up, he's the one who will step up every time with the crucial goal, the crucial clearance, the big tackle. He's a great young man who knows where he wants to get to in football and in life."

Phil Partington, North Ballarat talent manager

"He cracks in every time. We actually wanted him to start trying to get some easy ball, but he loves hurting himself and hurting other people and going in hard to get the footy. He's a determined SOB. There's not many people who would beat him if the footy's there in front of them."

Tadhg Kennelly, NSW-ACT Rams coach

Matthew Kennedy (6/04/1997. 187cm, 84kg. Collingullie-GP/GWS Academy)

Medium midfielder/forward

AFL biography: Medium forward/midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and strong overhead. Missed the national championships due to injury but was in outstanding form for the Rams in the TAC Cup competition, averaging 23 possessions in five matches. Member of GWS Academy.

"There's been a lot of talk about Matty. He's still very green, but he has an ability to play in the midfield, go in and get the ball then go forward and kick goals. He's almost the prototype midfielder right now: he has a big body, he's strong, he goes forward. He can take overhead marks and has a huge vertical jump so can sit on blokes' heads. He's pretty laconic, pretty relaxed. Nothing much fazes him and he just has huge upside."

Harrison Himmelberg (8/05/1996. 192cm, 84kg. Eastlake/GWS Academy)

Tall forward

AFL biography: Extremely mobile tall forward who relocated to Eastlake from the Riverina this year after an injury interrupted 2014. Presents very well with his repeat efforts and has good hands. Averaged 14 possessions, six marks and 1.7 goals at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of GWS Academy.

"He's been a real surprise package. He's a 19-year-old, and had you asked me about him this time last year I would have said he wasn't recruitable. But he's just been Mr Consistent this year His parents moved to the Gold Coast so instead of going with him he said, I'm going to move to Canberra and do preseason with Eastlake and the Giants Academy and see where that gets me. And he flew out of the blocks, after that. He's the sort of leading centre half-forward who will lead and lead and lose his opponents with his speed and agility. He's really matured."

Matthew Flynn (13/09/1997. 200cm, 99kg. Nerrandera/GWS Academy)

Ruck

AFL biography: Developing ruckman who competes aggressively and is athletic. Agile and courageous, he can push forward and be dangerous as a marking forward. Excellent below the knees for a player of his size and shows real potential with his rucking craft at stoppages. Averaged 10.7 possessions and 23.3 hitouts at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of GWS Academy.

"He's just a competitive beast. I first saw him playing under-16s and he was like a newborn foal back then, all arms and legs, head wobbling everywhere. His ruck work is second to none, he doesn't even really know what hand he is. He can take a contested mark and he's one of the best kids. He'd be the most competitive big man in the draft, by a long way. We talk about the big guys taking time, but he just wants to crash and bash."

Nick Coughlan (12/9/1996. 195cm, 83kg. Albury/Murray Bushrangers)

Tall Forward/defender

AFL biography: Tall forward or defender who reads the play well, is strong overhead and a penetrating kick. Impressed as a forward for NSW/ACT and the NAB AFL Academy, but switched to defence this year, playing well at VFL level with Footscray.

"Nick was a bit injury riddled last year. He played a bit of footy but had an ankle issue for a lot of the time and was disappointed not to get drafted but he responded really well. He got a good preseason in and because he'd finished school had a bit of flexibility: he went to uni in Melbourne and was able to experience a bit of the VFL program at Footscray. He got his confidence up early in the year playing as a key defender, and he had five or six games at VFL level where he did pretty well. He uses the ball well, he's a good size and he has plenty of scope for development."

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers talent manager

Lachlan Tiziani (13/03/1997. 188cm, 80kg. Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy)

Medium forward/defender/midfielder

AFL biography: Medium forward who can also play through the midfield or in defence. Quick, and has neat skills by hand and foot. Team oriented player with excellent work ethic. Has averaged 14 possessions, five marks and three tackles in 10 matches in the TAC Cup this year. He also represented NSW/ACT in the Under-18 Championships this year and the GWS Giants in the NEAFL.

"He comes from Broken Hill originally. He played for us as a bottom ager last year and has showed some real AFL qualities at times this year. He hasn't been as consistent as he would have liked, but the glimpses he's shown as a half-forward and a goalkicking wingman have been really good. He can run, he kicks the ball well and he's done some good jobs down back as well. He's shown he has all three zones of the footy field covered."

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers talent manager

Jock Cornell (2/04/1997. 187cm, 82kg, Mangoplah/GWS Academy)

Medium forward

AFL biography: Resilient, adaptable and versatile medium forward who reads the game extremely well and applies good forward line pressure. Excellent kick at goal and was impressive for NSW/ACT in NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 13 possessions, three tackles and two goals per game.

"Jock is Mr Resilient. His father passed away in December and his resilience to continue on has been first class. He can go left and right, and he gets the ball inside and outside. He's very smart footballer and has a real football brain. His mum is a Daniher, so there's a connection there."

If we let Treloar walk to the PSD on a HUGE contract at Carlton will we get compensation ?

No... but I doubt that will happen... its extremely rare. Most players want to leave on good terms... Id say its just a bargaining chip.... "See what can happen.. our R1 and R2 doesn't seem to bad now does it". The ideal situation is a club around the same range as the Pies chip and be interested. Id love to say Geelong is that team , but I think we have our hands full atm.

Rumours now circulating McCarthy could be heading to essendon rather than freo, any whispers here?

Really and what are you going to trade for him? He is a contracted young forward.. any deal should be obviously in GWS favour or he can just suck it and put on the orange again. You will have 4 and maybe 5 for Carlisle ... I cant talk for these guys but that would at least start talks imo.

So its looking like we will bring in a future 1st rounder from the pies and a future 2nd rounder with the crows - so where getting in those picks we need to go local kids again in the 2016 draft. Also seems that we are focusing on Dawson Simpson to be our back up ruck.

Greater Western Sydney defender Curtly Hampton will cross to Adelaide in return for the Crows’ second-round selection in 2016, under the new rules for future draft picks. The Giants are also well down the track in their pursuit of Geelong free agent Dawson Simpson as a back-up ruckman.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...matthew-suckling/story-fnca0u4y-1227562594414

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So its looking like we will bring in a future 1st rounder from the pies and a future 2nd rounder with the crows - so where getting in those picks we need to go local kids again in the 2016 draft. Also seems that we are focusing on Dawson Simpson to be our back up ruck.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...matthew-suckling/story-fnca0u4y-1227562594414

Future 2nd rounder for Curtly in a good draft is a nice outcome.

Yes he has talent and could hurt us if he gets his stuff together but on his output to date we'd be happy with this I reckon. I am.

Future 2nd rounder for Curtly in a good draft is a nice outcome.

Yes he has talent and could hurt us if he gets his stuff together but on his output to date we'd be happy with this I reckon. I am.

At his best, and as a contracted player, it's unders but I'd rather another second round that we'll use on a decent player than a wasted third or fourth round pick.

Hope you fellas stay firm with not trading McCarthy. Brisbane and GWS need to make a stand.

There are plenty of people each year that want to play AFL but miss out on being drafted. Those people would not be fussy where they played. To have it rubbed in their face that people selected can choose where they want to go to is wrong. If you go in the draft, then be prepared to play anywhere. If you sign a contract extension and want to leave without fulfilling it, tough bikkies. These kids have too much power and clubs need to take a stand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back