2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If there was any agreement last year or even a suggestion that would be draft tampering and we would loose everything for a year or 2. what you suggest is what Tippet did at the Crows. I don't think the Lions are that dumb. I think this is Aish's manager more than anything. I can see why he would nominate Collingwood this year when the know the Pies will trade top draft picks to GWS. His manager must think the Lions are just going to roll over and give Aish away for a low draft pick. They can go and get stuffed.
Huh? Im suggesting if aish said he wanted to go last year and we refused thats why id be pissed.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So far this seems like what we will end up at trade period:

James Aish = Sent to National Draft
Trade Jack Redden = Pick 17
Trade Pick 17 = Tom Bell + Levi Casboult
Trade Pick 75/DFA = Steve Johnson
Trade Pick 39 = David Astbury
Trade Pick 57 = Jarred Jansen

In:
Pick 2 = Joshua Schache
Pick 21 = Eric Hipwood
Pick 22 = Ben Keayes
Steve Johnson
Levi Casboult
Tom Bell
Jarred Jansen
David Astbury

What about Brisbane give Carlton either pick 57 or 75 for Bell and Casboult with the understanding that Aish won't be traded, therefore pushing him to the pre-season draft where Carlton have #1 pick
That won't go down well with the VFL. Would need to see how the Treloar stuff plays out because I suspect you'll be keeping pick 1 in PSD for him.

Dan12

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The issue with letting him walk to the draft is that Collingwood can just play the Luke Ball card in the national draft. They can just get Aish to put a price on his head of $700k x 1 year in the draft. If another club picks him up they are using a valuable draft pick, paying Aish massive overs and will probably lose him a year later. If Collingwood pick him with say a second or third roudn pick, they can just get Aish to sign on immediately for two further years at unders, say $100k or so. I think this is much more likely than Carlton getting him in the pre-season draft.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The issue with letting him walk to the draft is that Collingwood can just play the Luke Ball card in the national draft. They can just get Aish to put a price on his head of $700k x 1 year in the draft. If another club picks him up they are using a valuable draft pick, paying Aish massive overs and will probably lose him a year later. If Collingwood pick him with say a second or third roudn pick, they can just get Aish to sign on immediately for two further years at unders, say $100k or so. I think this is much more likely than Carlton getting him in the pre-season draft.

That loophole was closed IIRC after Ball was drafted.

Oct 4, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think the above would be considered draft tampering these days. Also isn't the minimum contract 2 years if you go into the draft?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is that so? can someone confirm that the National Draft is not an option for Aish?

It's an option. You just can't offer a massive 1 year deal knowing that nobody would match it and then sign them up to a much smaller subsequent contract like Collingwood did with Ball.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't imagine the AFL would allow Collingwood to do that. If Aish puts a price on his head Collingwood have to match it.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have to say I'm sick of the "Go Home" excuse being used. GWS have refused to trade McCarthy back to WA and good on them. These young players enter the draft full well knowing they can end up anywhere around Australia then their managers hold the clubs to ransom with the "oh poor bugger me my client is home sick". I'd very much like to see the Lions and GWS stick to their guns and hold out on trading young players and get back to some loyalty where players are just happy to be drafted. Yes I know it sounds like a restraint of trade and I've heard the argument about every player has the right to go where they have the best opportunity to maximise their income but I'm just sick of the home sick argument. Its got as bad now as the NRL where a player gets on the grog and in trouble and they use 'battling depression' as the excuse. Supporters stay loyal like all us on here so what about the players and this trend of the young ones to move from club to club. There must be a way to make the managers and these nomadic young players worth less because they have no loyalty. If it gets to the point where the Lions only draft and trade Queenslanders I'll take that because I'll get to watch players grow, I'll get to know them and their families and they will give back to their junior clubs after they have finished. I may not get to see the team in the GF at the MCG for quite some time but I'll feel more passionate about development and growing with the club, I'll feel like the club is actually putting back into the community not just taking from it. I used to love draft and trading time but now the future just seems a year to year proposition on who you get from where and who gets injured or not. Bring Bell home, get Schache because of his dad and then line up those academy kids and our 6 season tickets will all be renewed and we will be happy to watch the kids grow or fail but we will feel like we are part of something rather than on the floor of the stock market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mail is that an Aish to Jesse White trade is being discussed, would be a potent addition to your emerging forward line.
Posting that is almost a straight red card, right?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Posting that is almost a straight red card, right?

I preferred his story about Rocky and Mitch Robinson assaulting Aish earlier this week, despite Mitch being in Darwin and Rockliff in Hawaii. Was more believable than Jesse White.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So far this seems like what we will end up at trade period:

James Aish = Sent to National Draft
Trade Jack Redden = Pick 17
Trade Pick 17 = Tom Bell + Levi Casboult
Trade Pick 75/DFA = Steve Johnson
Trade Pick 39 = David Astbury
Trade Pick 57 = Jarred Jansen

In:
Pick 2 = Joshua Schache
Pick 21 = Eric Hipwood
Pick 22 = Ben Keayes
Steve Johnson
Levi Casboult
Tom Bell
Jarred Jansen
David Astbury
I think this off season we can take some risks in the trade period considering our 3 draft selections are rated top 15, as long as we don't screw up with our points for drafting we will be fine.

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Mike Pyke stuff is interesting, saying that Sydney will have more money in the cap to offer lueunburger? Maybe the AFL relaxes a few trade bans here and there and in return for getting us to play nice with collingwood throws a frawley compensation our way?

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Highly unlikely that they have that figure to throw about...and would be silly to do so o_O

In any case, Adelaide will take him with a pick before Pies' 2nd rounder :cool:

My mail is that an Aish to Jesse White trade is being discussed, would be a potent addition to your emerging forward line.
Hey Baz, you forgot to quote the full discussion -
Collingwood: "What about Aish for Jesse White?"
Lions: "Jesse who?"

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

He's always been a big kick (that was a thumper!) and a good field kick - before this year his real problem was set shot accuracy. Lol at some opposition supporters who reckon he's a spud! A fantastic mark, a late bloomer (seemed at times to be a little introverted) and a big lump of a lad - his best years are ahead of him. Real cult figure at Carlton and there will be an uproar if he goes - Silvagni will not be forgiven for shopping him around.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He's always been a big kick (that was a thumper!) and a good field kick - before this year his real problem was set shot accuracy. Lol at some opposition supporters who reckon he's a spud! A fantastic mark, a late bloomer (seemed at times to be a little introverted) and a big lump of a lad - his best years are ahead of him. Real cult figure at Carlton and there will be an uproar if he goes - Silvagni will not be forgiven for shopping him around.
Are you talking about Liam Jones?:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back