MLB Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have to say Blue Jays are gone.
Lackey was terrific for the Cards, Maddon didn't complain about any calls.

Disappointing Astros blew a three run lead, but Royals bullpen did a better job than ours.
Game 3 sees Keuchel start at home where he is 15-0 this season. If bats can put a few runs together we should be favourites to take a 2-1 lead.

Avoiding the media for the next few days so I miss all the Kershaw hot takes...

For the second year running, it's all up to Zack tomorrow now.

Cool Cubbies get it done. Arrieta next up to hopefully make it 2-1 and I like our chances from there!
Put the heat on in inning 2 today and that was more than enough. Technically only one earned run but a lot lot better offense today. And some terrific bullpen work. Didn't give the Cards a look in.

Utley is a piece of s**t for that slide.

The rules wrong, slid once he past the bag and went to the right of the bag, should have been ruled an auto double play.

His only intent was to break his leg and he looks like he may have succeeded.

The rules wrong, slid once he past the bag and went to the right of the bag, should have been ruled an auto double play.

His only intent was to break his leg and he looks like he may have succeeded.
And he is given the base and scored. What a joke. Does not seem MLB understand how dangerous that is.

Should of been a double play automatically.
CRAf_DOU8AEs4B1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRAf_DOU8AEs4B1.jpg

Utley is a piece of s**t for that slide.
It astounds me that a base runner is permitted to "break up the double play" (and break an opponent's leg) by deliberately sliding into him after he is forced out at 2nd base.

I realise this type of physicality is a cultural thing in baseball - particularly with base runners sliding into home plate vs the catcher - but it just seems so at odds with the rest of the game. e.g. they have bench-clearing brawls when a pitcher scones a batter who crowds the plate.

Why was there no bench-clearing brawl when Chase Utley broke Tejada's leg?

Even as a Dodgers' fan I feel really conflicted after that win.

Utley has always been that sort of hyper-intense player who stops at nothing to win, but his actions today left me feeling queasy. It doesn't get more wilfully dangerous than what he did to Tejada. Looking back at the footage, he could have put his left hand out and touched the bag, but he started his slide extremely late and only had eyes on Tejada, and there's no doubt his aim was to take him out by any means necessary. I get that it wasn't a "neighbourhood" play because Murphy's throw took Tejada off the bag's line, but how Utley was called back after review is beyond me.

They'll probably change the rules in the offseason, just like they did with home plate collisions, but that's cold comfort for the Mets. The play might have turned the series on its head.

No doubt Game 3 will be volatile. There's a good chance Utley starts given his solid record against Matt Harvey - will he get plunked? Will someone else? No doubt it's appointment viewing, as has been mentioned.

Playoff baseball, still the best.

It was so blatant that no one believed it actually happened that way so didn't clear the benches. I was screaming at the TV for someone to rip into him but none did.

It was bloody terrible. Has to be something done about it.

Really disappointing.

Hopefully Texas close it out tomorrow but I reckon Toronto will pinch tomorrow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the solution then? that the top 4 records go through? That takes away the division rivalries and any point of having divisions. Or if you want to extend the wild card playoff to a series, then you have the best 6 teams waiting around, that's not good either.

Best way would be to scrap the wild card playoff game and have only one wild card winner.

I like the wild card game. You only get in it as a second chance, at the end of the day you were not good enough to win your division.

And while the division winners get a little rest to prepare, the wild card teams have to spend their best pitcher. If they are good enough to overcome that good luck to them.

If the Mets don't have the resolve to finish the series by game 4 they should be very disappointed. Should already be 2-0 up, and have all the emotional firepower they need heading into a home stretch.
That can always go the other way though as well.

I certainly hope you're right! Big couple of games at home for us!

the take out slide has always been an ugly part of baseball. Utley got his way wrong and probably deserved a suspension. However you see quite a few of these during the year with no suspension or action taken by the league. So dodgers a bit unlucky although he wasn't going to play much anyway.

Utley is appealing, the rule should simply read

"If you slide and do not make contact with the base, but make contact with a fielder than it is an automatic double play and a two match suspension"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back