Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

apparently whichever club Howe goes to will play him forward and expose his supposedly brilliant tank. I don't think he stinks as a player, but hardly what we need. If we got him it'd be to build on that "pick your poison", army of versatile 190cm players

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-10/2014-trade-and-draft-period-revisited-every-club-rated

Retrospective look at last years trade period from a Bulldogs perspective.

For some unfathomable reason this clear eyed analysis doesn't seem to gel with the wider BigFooty communities view of things.

WB-sb-AFLM.jpg

Provided the headlines of the trade period with the Tom Boyd-Ryan Griffen swap and saw another few players – including a Brownlow medallist – head out the door as uncertainty with the coaching situation stretched into November.

TradeMissed on Levi Greenwood but sent Griffen and pick No.6 to the Giants for Boyd. There's no doubt Boyd will be a key player but his debut season as a Dog underwhelmed as he finished the year in the VFL. Shane Biggs looked good late in the year in defence, while the picks they brought in netted Declan Hamilton and Caleb Daniel, with the former essentially obtained via a trade for Adam Cooney and the latter – who showed promise as an impact player – recruited with the pick traded for Liam Jones.

Free AgencyThey were busy at the trade table with picks flying around – especially when it came to the Cooney deal with the Swans involved in trading selections – but had time to decide on delisted free agent Joel Hamling, who had some solid defensive performances in his 11 games. Shaun Higgins went to North Melbourne, which provided a second-round pick used on Lukas Webb, who looked good in 10 games.

DraftThey went for smaller types and did well with their picks, with all but Hamilton making their AFL debuts. Bailey Dale, Webb and Daniel played 10 games each in a year the Dogs played a final, and rookie Roarke Smith pushed in for his debut in round 21, which is also promising for their future.

Overall rating: A
Didn't make an immediate impact but Boyd is their future and is locked down until 2021, while their draftees were able to consistently play despite the team's good form. - Jennifer Phelan

For the TL;DR generation.

We gets an...

View attachment 182458

We like this review right?

Cant disagree with any of that

Flexibility and aerial threat, 190 cm players that are good overhead are
worth their weight in gold. The old opposition players can add nothing
to our squad is an extremely well ridden chestnut on this board.o_O
Where did I say that? I don't believe Howe can add to our side. Lumping everyone together is an extremely well ridden chestnut on this board o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he can take the spot of Wallis....Libba.... Stevens...Dal....Stringer (yes he will do mid time)...Hunter.....Picken (Don't bag my fav), McCrae......The Bont.....even Crameri? All these roam through Mid. The only one I see him replacing is the Daniel/Rat spot.
He'd strengthen the list but maybe not what we really need. If coming cheap then no harm I wouldn't be pushing Sucklings price to high to assist the Hawks either as no guarantees he'll be in best 22 for the 3 years touted.
I don't understand at all why every time there is a player rumoured to be traded, it nust be about 'who they replace in the best 22'. The term 'best 22' is ANCIENT and it is important to have a rotation of around 30-35 who can each play at a high level, especially in the midfield. The problem with Anderson at Hawthorn isn't that he is depth at all, it is that he is INEXPERIENCED and therefore UNUSED DEPTH. Despite some very good VFL form he still wasn't picked in their team because he lacks experience and in the top team unless you can perform at a high level from the get go you become a liability. He was trying to get a game in a side that has barely lost in years. For us, as soon as we get an injury if he is playing footy as well as he was at box hill he will get selected straight away and kept in for at least 3 weeks to prove he can stay in. Then it becomes the job of the players returning from injury to play good VFL footy and wait for an injury and it does not matter who they are. We will reward form at the selection table, Hawthorn reward experience. THAT is the difference and that is why we would be a good destination for someone like Anderson who would fit our age bracket perfectly.

Where did I say that? I don't believe Howe can add to our side. Lumping everyone together is an extremely well ridden chestnut on this board o_O
Sorry, was not having a go at you directly. It's just sad that every player
raised adds nothing to our squad. I wish we were as good as everyone
thinks we are (i got the whip out).;)

havent you been saying that for a while now?
Or maybe that was go you pups
I'm adamant we need talls and we don't have depth in that area currently, I'm annoyed we historically prioritise mids and smalls over talls. Look at everyone frothing over Jed Anderson for etc, we have Hunter, McLean, Dahlhaus, Daniel, Dale, Crameri and potentially Suckling for that type of role already, he'd be surplus imo.

Completely agree however with yebiga, we need a big strong body to help the kids out whether it's in the short term or medium-long term, going in with young KPPs might help long-term, but not short-term or medium-term.

Once Hamling and Roberts turn say 24-25 they'll be right, I seriously think they'll be our Hooker/Hurley types with time but not yet, Roberts's injury history is a worry also.

We play with a lot of mediums in our team say Wood, Morris, Stringer and Crameri etc, they generally are excellent performers, but if we rely on these guys so much I just can't see them getting the job done come the crunch time because they are undersized hence why i constantly refer back to our 2008-09 prelims as we were competitive in these games but couldn't take a grab for s**t, WCE were dominated by Hawthorn as they didn't have a high marking option and Hawthorns talls down back dominated, McEvoy helped also against Freo doing the same thing.

Going small might get us into finals, but it won't help us win crunch finals.

Sorry, was not having a go at you directly. It's just sad that every player
raised adds nothing to our squad. I wish we were as good as everyone
thinks we are (i got the whip out).;)
That's true there is plenty of underrating and overrating around here. In my view it's trade for a specific need or trade for absolute quality. Otherwise trust our guys picking some more gems at the draft, and look to add to depth with some late draft/rookie types. I think we are in a position with our young talent to be a little picky with who we bring in, hopefully that talent continues to improve and become the players we believe they can. That's why it's a no to me for Howe, because I don't believe he does enough. Yep he can take a great mark, but even with that doesn't get enough of the ball. Suckling I'm coming around to, I believe he definitely adds to the side and has a specific need in that he can clear that zone with his kick which would be very good for us given the amount of goals Stringer/Crameri kick getting out the back.

Congrats Western Bulldogs on signing Matthew Suckling. You've got yourself a decent player. He will fit nicely in the Dogs team. Suits your style of play and he will be a weapon on that wing/half forward position and around goal delivering the ball lace-out to the Bulldogs forwards.

Career: 102 games - 51 goals

Congrats Western Bulldogs on signing Matthew Suckling. You've got yourself a decent player. He will fit nicely in the Dogs team. Suits your style of play and he will be a weapon on that wing/half forward position and around goal delivering the ball lace-out to the Bulldogs forwards.

Career: 102 games - 51 goals

If that's the case, I'd say J Howe won't be happening. We need the cap space for next year.

O'Meara will cost us at least $800K a year.

That's true there is plenty of underrating and overrating around here. In my view it's trade for a specific need or trade for absolute quality. Otherwise trust our guys picking some more gems at the draft, and look to add to depth with some late draft/rookie types. I think we are in a position with our young talent to be a little picky with who we bring in, hopefully that talent continues to improve and become the players we believe they can. That's why it's a no to me for Howe, because I don't believe he does enough. Yep he can take a great mark, but even with that doesn't get enough of the ball. Suckling I'm coming around to, I believe he definitely adds to the side and has a specific need in that he can clear that zone with his kick which would be very good for us given the amount of goals Stringer/Crameri kick getting out the back.
I agree with that fargy, i did a direct comparison with Hawthorn's list
at the start of the year based purely on heights and the difference
was not staggering, the experience and quality was. I worry with us
tipping out Talia, Grant and Ayce Cordy that the height balance has
swung even more. We started to show some signs that concerned me
a little towards the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back