Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging from what I've read, interrupting their nesting cycle won't make them lay more eggs.

In that case she can just keep doing her thing I guess.

The only thing I'm worried about is she might make the eggs from the others go off in the heat. Is that not an issue though if I check every day?

On that little pen I have ordered that just for the 2 Teri gave us to sleep in a night on their own but then read afterwards it's a complete piece of rubbish that will fall apart in 6 months, what's it actually like?

I've had mine 18 months now and haven't had any issues. Mine is also under some trees though.

In that case she can just keep doing her thing I guess.

The only thing I'm worried about is she might make the eggs from the others go off in the heat. Is that not an issue though if I check every day?
I've never had a problem- I check every day, sometimes twice a day if I can. They don't overheat the eggs and cook them or anything.

Having said that, if you wanted to keep her away from the nesting box for that reason, that'd be OK :) Then you won't worry.

I've got one of those around the back that my roosters used to sleep in, Kram. it's lasted 3 years. there are a couple of things that are a bit rickety- the ladder was useless, from memory, but mostly it's fine. It's parked under a tree so preserved from the elements a bit.
Ah that's ok then, will probably be under a patio anyway and I'll wood paint it as well.

That little aviary thing in the picture with the babies I got for $220 and was thinking maybe I should have got something like that instead again because it's not too bad but **** me putting the stupid thing together. Halfway through trying to assemble it I just cracked the shits and it just sat there half completed for almost a year laying out in the open backyard :D But then eventually when I got motivated to finish it it's actually reasonably decent for the price.

Ah that's ok then, will probably be under a patio anyway and I'll wood paint it as well.

That little aviary thing in the picture with the babies I got for $220 and was thinking maybe I should have got something like that instead again because it's not too bad but **** me putting the stupid thing together. Halfway through trying to assemble it I just cracked the shits and it just sat there half completed for almost a year laying out in the open backyard :D But then eventually when I got motivated to finish it it's actually reasonably decent for the price.
Lol :)
You could probably buy a few bits of 4b2 from Bunnings and some MDF or plywood, some chickenwire, nails and a hammer and knock up your own design.

Lol :)
You could probably buy a few bits of 4b2 from Bunnings and some MDF or plywood, some chickenwire, nails and a hammer and knock up your own design.
Making your own isn't the worst idea. Need a little brother doing their yr 12 woodwork class for their final project to knock us up something, could actually make it out of quality wood you would just need to buy the materials but free labour!

I couldn't bloody do either woodwork or metalwork in the last couple of years because of going to such a small crappy school the TEE maths class I needed to do (was thinking about surveying) was on at the same time. Which sucked because eventually doing a trade it would have been useful and even just in general for handyman stuff around the house, instead I had to do a ****ing lame art class :rolleyes:

Making your own isn't the worst idea. Need a little brother doing their yr 12 woodwork class for their final project to knock us up something, could actually make it out of quality wood you would just need to buy the materials but free labour!

I couldn't bloody do either woodwork or metalwork in the last couple of years because of going to such a small crappy school the TEE maths class I needed to do (was thinking about surveying) was on at the same time. Which sucked because eventually doing a trade it would have been useful and even just in general for handyman stuff around the house, instead I had to do a ****ing lame art class :rolleyes:
I reckon you could probably just google it, Kram- buy what the site says you need and have a go. It might be very therapeutic and maybe one of the old blokes down the road will come along and give you some tips. A lot of them are dying to do stuff like that but they never do it cos they don't need to build anything.

At the schools I went to, you'd be LUCKY to do an art class! Lol
Went to an all girls' college (4 year groups of 2 streams each) where, in Year 7, we were made to buy a book with cooking stuff in it but we never ever used it because, apart from the regular classes, we only had Art, Italian and Sewing as electives (*spew). Once we got to Year 10, we could do typing instead (wish I'd chosen that).
The girls that weren't doing TEE (or, back in those days, in Victoria, it was HSC) finished at the end of Year 10. The rest of us went to another girls' college where we had no electives. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Gone. No more utensil-a-doodle-doing.

And a friend had to give his chooks away due to a move. We ended up with 2 ISA browns and what looks like a bantam Australorp.

We are going to have a big flock.

Ducks are sitting on eggs now too.
wow!! lol
Things are sure happening out at your place!! :D Would love to see pics :)

Got home and the bloody wind must have slammed the pen door on one of the chicks and injured its leg. Spends most of the time just laying there but eats and can get up and move hobbling when it wants to, should hopefully be right they are usually quite resilient creatures.
Get a stick and tape it to its leg if it's struggling. I used something like duct tape and a strong stick on the leg of one of my big hens when the dog broke its leg. It healed with a bit of a lump but I didn't cut the tape off for about a month.

At least yours is eating and drinking. If it's not moving very far, just keep the food and water close by.

Get a stick and tape it to its leg if it's struggling. I used something like duct tape and a strong stick on the leg of one of my big hens when the dog broke its leg. It healed with a bit of a lump but I didn't cut the tape off for about a month.

At least yours is eating and drinking. If it's not moving very far, just keep the food and water close by.
Nah it's back to normal already after 2 days, knew it would almost certainly get better but not quite this quick. Just must have been really sore.

Locking the birds up last night after almost couple of months without seeing one I found a ****ing tick crawling across the back of the pen trying to get at the chooks. Didn't seem to have any blood in it when I squashed it so at least don't think it was successful. Guess I'll have to keep painting the ends of the perches with oil/poison for at least only another year or so at least until they eventually stave and die off :rolleyes:

The lady that owned the currently vacant house next door was nice and she sadly died of cancer but bringing those things in has caused us no end of work and trouble!

Locking the birds up last night after almost couple of months without seeing one I found a ****ing tick crawling across the back of the pen trying to get at the chooks. Didn't seem to have any blood in it when I squashed it so at least don't think it was successful. Guess I'll have to keep painting the ends of the perches with oil/poison for at least only another year or so at least until they eventually stave and die off :rolleyes:

The lady that owned the currently vacant house next door was nice and she sadly died of cancer but bringing those things in has caused us no end of work and trouble!
Was that the old lady who gave you fruit or whatever it was when your chook escaped?

Was that the old lady who gave you fruit or whatever it was when your chook escaped?
Nah she lived there about a couple years ago and was only about in her 50s. I reckon it might have been a year or so after she left with her chooks until they eventually crawled across from her yard and found new hosts in my ones, just pure bad luck. That's why I couldn't work out where they came from due to the time difference. That's the problem with them, they can survive up to 3-4 years without feeding on a chook so you pretty much can't ever tell 100% if they have gone..

edit - I found and squashed another one last night, it's seriously the most annoying thing I've ever encountered. I've probably killed 99% of them but you can guarantee there are some that have survived in that part of the yard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back