Future Stadium design

Remove this Banner Ad

theRainbowGame

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2012
Seattle
AFL Club
Geelong
With Australia leading the world in having multiple teams based in the same stadiums surely we need to be leading in technology that emulates home ground advantage.

Stadiums like ANZ Stadium and Docklands both have retractable seating to allow for rectangular sports like rugby, soccer and league.

We can take this a step further. In football we have multiple teams based at stadiums in almost every state. The home ground advantage is gone for many of them. I suggest that we start considering stadiums that have both retractable wings, and retractable ends such that the field size can be altered based upon whom the home team is.

The main benefit for this is is that the teams style of play will alter for their home grounds, and also will need to be adapted for when they play other teams.

This is on top of other initiatives such as team coloring the stadium, playing home team music etc.

Wouldn't be cost efficient.
By doing what you suggest, if the status quo remains (in regards to fixed stands everywhere bar Etihad), the action would be further away from the crowd than is now (they cant really expand the dimensions)
If they were to implement retractable stands, it'd be an extra cost for no gain in revenue.

Complete waste of money.

I agree it'd be good for the teams, but the costs is so counter intuitive to the clubs and revenue it makes zero sense on an economic side of things.
And anyway, if you bring in the goals/wings for clubs who want a more compact ground, you create seats with minimal to no visibility of the game. So decrease potential viewers later in the season.

Watch a game at ANZ Stadium. The wings are detracted and the flanks have zero people sitting there as they can not see one goal. This would be a bad look at the MCG or wherever.

I see where you're coming from and trying to create a homefield advantage for the clubs playing. But it's a waste of money as it would not bring any more viewers.

Why spend $100,000,000 to be convenient to the teams when it adds $0 to the clubs?

I can't see how having slightly different sized grounds would make that much of a difference in the first place. Good teams with a good game plan tend to win anywhere. Having a game plan based on playing at home at one particular stadium is not a formula for ultimate success.

Stadiums like ANZ Stadium and Docklands both have retractable seating to allow for rectangular sports like rugby, soccer and league.

They only move the lower deck, which in modern stadiums is a low percentage of the seats. The best viewing is both elevated and close to the field, so that is what the trend is - small lower deck with a vast upper deck.

So we spend an extra hundred million or more to move maybe 20% of the seats inwards while the majority stay in the oval format? For what purpose? So it looks rectangular on TV?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back