2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not suggesting this will happen but is there anything to prevent Essendon increasing their contract offer to Leuey prompting the Lions to ask the League to reassess compo?

Something tells me they can't and that the initial offer is final. That's a shame, because it could be a great result for us, them and Leuey.

Something tells me they can't and that the initial offer is final. That's a shame, because it could be a great result for us, them and Leuey.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if it was allowed. Just curious.

Or Leuey enters a draft and we lose him for nothing.
Would anyone actually pick him up before our 3rd rounder?

If Aish and Leuenberger enter the PSD at least we get one back :D:p

It's about 80k ...

I'm not concerned about how much he's earning, I'm concerned about how they value him and what they're offering ... it makes it easier for us to match and for them to lose a decent pick to trade him.
Oh really?

Wow - why did he move for that?

Very low for a guy of his supposed standing. Less than we offered Aish, I think.

The only reason why I originally replied to you was to answer your question as to why he moved for the money offered by Essendon.

Would not be opposed to Grigg but seems unlikely. We simply won't have the trade assets to bring him in with picks needed for our academy selections and the need to trade for Bell. Am a little confused as to why the club is showing reported interest in so many midfielders. Bell and Jansen seem near certainties to join the club and we have been linked with Anderson, Bastinac and now Grigg as well. The club must have identified the need to bring in 3 midfielders for depth reasons and the club is probably sourcing out Anderson, Bastinac and Grigg in an attempt to lure one of them to join Bell and Jansen. Why else would we be linked to them if we already have Bell and Jansen coming? I suppose I can understand the club wanting to bring 3 midfielders in due to the lack of depth this season just gone and the departures of Redden and Aish. We do have Keays coming in through the draft though.

If we are looking to bring in one of Anderson, Bastinac and Grigg in addition to Bell and Jansen what would be everyones preference?

Mine would probably be:

1. Anderson
2. Grigg
3. Bastinac

Anderson is a quality young talent so I would have him at the top. I would rate Grigg as the best player out of the three at this stage and the one most likely to have the biggest impact next year so if it's not Anderson I would go with him over Bastinac.

Bastinac hasn't come on at all. I expect North to test the waters and see what the best offer is for him. Is not a player that will improve us.

Anderson for Aish seems pretty reasonable (if Aish is prepared to go to Hawks). Robbo seems to be pretty good mates with Anderson

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

While delisted FAs don't affect compo, unrestricted FAs do - meaning if we match we could sign Whitecross now and not have to take him in the PSD or give away a later pick. Even if we only get Essendon's third in a trade I reckon it may still be worth doing if we have unrestricted FAs we want to sign.

Hard to call that overs.
Especially considering he's a good ruckman when fit.
I feel for Leuey if this drags on. Hopefully something gets worked out quickly to everyone's satisfaction. Would be pretty gutting for Leuey if after being courted by yer coach you turn around and said 'oh, we only wanted you for free'.

If matching Luey happens, missing out on Suckling due to not wanting to interfere with FA compo sucks all that much more :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While delisted FAs don't affect compo, unrestricted FAs do - meaning if we match we could sign Whitecross now and not have to take him in the PSD or give away a later pick. Even if we only get Essendon's third in a trade I reckon it may still be worth doing if we have unrestricted FAs we want to sign.
Welcome aboard Tom. Disappointed you couldn't work a Simpsons gif into your post, but I guess we'll let you stay anyway. ;)

If matching Luey happens, missing out on Suckling due to not wanting to interfere with FA compo sucks all that much more :(
Didn't seem too many around these parts were too crushed to miss out on him.

Now given we're not getting anything for Leuy, we'd now be better off matching Leuy's offer and signing whitecross as a UFA

Now given we're not getting anything for Leuy, we'd now be better off matching Leuy's offer and signing whitecross as a UFA
Yeah this is a good point actually and the same one made by Tom14 in the post you quoted. Quality first post by the way Tom14 and welcome to BigFooty!

I like Whitecross as a player and I think he would be a nice addition. Obviously comes from a really strong culture/system at Hawthorn and at worst will act as a really good, mature body/experienced depth option with no other cost than cap space. At best he could enter Round 1 in the senior team after a strong, injury free pre season and start to kick start his career with some quality, consistent footy at the top level. He's a Queenslander as well and seems like a top, laid back bloke:thumbsu:

Requiring new posters to start with a Simpsons gif is basically a restraint of trade.

(Am I doing this right???)
Mocking deluded Pies posters, you'll fit right in.

I remember a few weeks ago we were being linked to Sam Grimley from the Hawks. Has that died down or is he not really a good fit? I don't know much about the guy.

Probably won't know until post-draft. If he's signed it'll be as a delisted free agent, so left late to provide flexibility in the draft.

I'm not suggesting this will happen but is there anything to prevent Essendon increasing their contract offer to Leuey prompting the Lions to ask the League to reassess compo?

You can only nominate a qualifying offer once. Once the Lions have matched Leuey is just a normal uncontracted player.

At least if we match the offer we can sign a few delisted FAs like Johnson and Grimley with ease.

Delisted free agents don't affect free agency compensation. Johnson would if we sign him in this FA period, but if we wait for a couple of weeks we can get him as a DFA.

The only reason why I originally replied to you was to answer your question as to why he moved for the money offered by Essendon.

Yes really. I'm shocked at the amount of money he'd be on considering the wider AFL market. I think it indicates that both he and Essendon don't value him as highly as I think we do.

But on top of this, my concern relates how the Dons have gone about it - I'm not sure they've done the best thing for themselves as it's a pretty easy offer for us to match.

To me, it shows that despite Woosha apparently calling him straight away, the Dons don't really want him that much.

I hope he doesn't get that feeling.

Pretty disappointing I got to say but when you take your Lions cap off it does make sense. Hasn't done a lot for a while, and realisticly everyone has 'potential'. Just so long as we get the academy boys. But really noe we have to trade Aish to ensure our academy selections aren't hurt....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back