Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Man flu over here too! Luckily it was a really REALLY light week and so far I have only missed out on a 21k'er which really shouldn't affect me at all. Scheduled in for a 2hr/25km on Grand Final morning then off to Noosa. Not a bad way to spend taper week. Then it's marathon time! The goal is set at 3:40-3:45.

FREE BEER!
...seriously
the only catch is that its Pure Blonde which im pretty sure is some sort of low carb beer. but still, free beer

https://pureblondebeerrun.com/
all you gotta do is link a 6k run from your Strava profile to their website...so i suppose you're trading your Strava profile info for a six pack.

5km time trial tomorrow morning. Will be interesting to see what l can come up with. Missed the last two time trials due to trail run recoverys.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I think my PB is about 21:50. Feeling pretty good. Will go hard early & see if l can break that.
Oh s**t. The alarm is set for 5 1/2 hours time. Zzzzz

Good luck!

I am having issues transferring my runs from Nike to Strava. Just ran a HM today in 1:55.

Can't wait to run again. Not sure when at this stage. At some point I just need to make a time and go with it regardless of everything else going on.

Pre-work may actually be the best time. Just need to get myself going in the morning.

Was there someone here that had Iliotibial Band Syndrome? Just been the doctors and that's the report that come back from my knee MRI :(

I believe WildRover, Purrfect Pussies, and myself have all suffered from it. I think WildRover wrote an article about it.

To be honest, I'd prefer it be ITBS than to have something structurally wrong with the knee. Can be painful, but I've been able to manage it fairly well with massage, foam rolling, tennis ball etc., and strengthening exercises. Funnily enough, mine tends to flair up more when I'm going slow.

Yeah, mine has settled down the last few weeks with massage, rolling & a heap of glute strength work. Wildrover posted a link to a blog of his a while back. Do a quick scan of the thread. Plenty of good info there.
I also backed off for a few weeks & have put my trail running on the back burner until l build the legs up a bit.
Agree, it seems a much better injury to manage than say a hamstring, achilles etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there someone here that had Iliotibial Band Syndrome? Just been the doctors and that's the report that come back from my knee MRI :(

I'm another who has suffered from it in the past, very annoying injury and can be quite painful, thankfully mine hasn't reappeared for a few years now.

Got 2 more training runs to go before hitting Melbourne. Plan A at this stage is 54 minutes/10km which with a little slowing at the end has me scheduled for a 3:52. Plan B is to stay with the 4 hour pace group (hopefully without unscheduled pit stops given this was the plan in Canberra) before kicking after the northern turn on Beaconsfield Parade to hit the 3:52 target time.

Back in Melbourne town and into Marathon week!!!! Nerves starting to play up a bit now! Got a few runs in up at Noosa last week and finished with a quick 6k which was nice. Too much beer, ice cream and fish and chips has me a bit worried now. Not how I planned my taper! But when in Rome hey. While away the youngest picked up Bronchitis, so really hoping I avoid that this week.

The weather looks like it's going to be absolutely perfect on Sunday, so (unfortunately) no excuses this time.

It's now up to the Marathon Gods to see what they throw at me.

Gotta love this weather and daylight savings to get out there for a run (much prefer after work than mornings). usually run about twice a week outside of footy season. Started about 3 weeks ago (after end of season bingeing). Looking at beat my 5km best and working upto 10km and beating those times. Its not the kms that most of you do but I cant be bothered with big distances

Did 10km in 52mins which was pleased enough with. Interesting enough first few kms were about 4.40 and then about 5.30 for middle ones. The last 2 kms were my fastest so can probably go harder in middle kms to drop the time. The 5-8kms section the toughest mentally to get through as most of my runs are about 5kms at faster pace.

Did a 5km run in 22.20 yesterday but Achilles has pulled up rough(do have a history of this). Usually wear heel raises but havnt for most of this year (inc footy) and Achilles been fine. So might have to rest up for a week or 2.

I just got back into running on that Grand Final eve public holiday. Been off it for about 3-4 years due to ITB issues, so went to weight training instead for my exercising.

Slowly building up the stamina and pace. Been doing mostly 5-6km runs slashing the time from 40mins down to 28mins last night.

Hoping to build it up to 10km within 55mins sometime this summer, and then next goal is 15kms.

Good work guys. :thumbsu:

Might try and go for a short run in the next few days and see how I go. Played basketball the other night with no issues at all with the ITB.

Be careful with the ITB....it will most likely flare up a few kilometres into your run as the inflammation increases over time. You can feel absolutely fine, and then bang, it's painful. I hate hearing about people with ITB issues as I know how frustrating it is. So take care, get things right, and don't rush back into it before you're ready!

Be careful with the ITB....it will most likely flare up a few kilometres into your run as the inflammation increases over time. You can feel absolutely fine, and then bang, it's painful. I hate hearing about people with ITB issues as I know how frustrating it is. So take care, get things right, and don't rush back into it before you're ready!
I used to play touch rugby 3 nights a week and would play about 2 games and maybe ref another few. I took about 10 weeks off running and it felt fine again, then suddenly on the first night back.. it flared up.

Been managing it since with weight and strength training to compensate the other areas to fix it and running short distances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back