EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL cannot move one way or the other until the AFL collapses and the state competition return to being tier one.

Until that time, please, please do not merge anyone.

Its bound to happen soon. Westies and Sturt nearly folded last summer and I reckon there would have been a merger on the cards as a final resort.

How long until another club folds?
Probably a couple of years. Most clubs not too financially bad now but with a continued decrease in attendance and memberships a couple could be tipped over the edge in 2-3 years. Speak to plenty of people in the same boat as me, lifelong supporters who tip in smallish ammounts to their clubs ( 3-5k a year )who will cease once a reserves side wins the flag. I very nearly stopped two years ago because of the reserves debacle but love the club too much. One of them winning the Premiership would be the tipping point though

I see the Port fans are happy with the reserves as they really want another SANFL trophy. Had it my way, crows should not be the 10th SANFL team, It should be a team like Modbury or Golden Grove. Let the Power and Crows Choose 5 teams each and each SANFL team hane 8-10 crows/port players on their list. West Coast didn't have a problem when they 1st started as there were only 8 WAFL clubs to choose from. The WAFL demanded You can only pinch a maximum of 6 players from each club.

Looks like you belong to this discussion, why not promote Modbury or Golden Grove anyway?

Looks like you belong to this discussion, why not promote Modbury or Golden Grove anyway?
Modbury or Golden Grove wouldn't be a bad 10th side. That or seperate Woodville and West Torrens. I don't want The SANFLend up like the VFL: 10 Reserves teams and 6 stand Alone clubs.

Modbury or Golden Grove wouldn't be a bad 10th side. That or seperate Woodville and West Torrens. I don't want The SANFLend up like the VFL: 10 Reserves teams and 6 stand Alone clubs.

I don't think it will ever be more than 3 reserves teams.. assuming SA may see one more tradition side enter the national competition.

Great to see the SANFL willing to make some dramatic rule chances.. indicated that they may be open to more dramatic changes such as promotion and relegation..

Probably a couple of years. Most clubs not too financially bad now but with a continued decrease in attendance and memberships a couple could be tipped over the edge in 2-3 years. Speak to plenty of people in the same boat as me, lifelong supporters who tip in smallish ammounts to their clubs ( 3-5k a year )who will cease once a reserves side wins the flag. I very nearly stopped two years ago because of the reserves debacle but love the club too much. One of them winning the Premiership would be the tipping point though

The end is nigh..

I don't think it will ever be more than 3 reserves teams.. assuming SA may see one more tradition side enter the national competition.

Great to see the SANFL willing to make some dramatic rule chances.. indicated that they may be open to more dramatic changes such as promotion and relegation..

Will never happen. Amateur clubs are miles of SANFL standard and have zero supporter base.

Will never happen. Amateur clubs are miles of SANFL standard and have zero supporter base.

You'd be surprised how close Amateur is compared to SANFL level now days, the state competition is nothing near what it was in its glory days before the VFL started poaching players for the national competition.

If A grade SAAFL Grand Finalist Prize pool was major sponsors, setting up a competitive salary cap and list + draft provisions, they'd easily give bottom dwelling SANFL teams a run for their money - the support would come and lets be honest, you don't need much to be on par with any SANFL team these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd be surprised how close Amateur is compared to SANFL level now days, the state competition is nothing near what it was in its glory days before the VFL started poaching players for the national competition.

If A grade SAAFL Grand Finalist Prize pool was major sponsors, setting up a competitive salary cap and list + draft provisions, they'd easily give bottom dwelling SANFL teams a run for their money - the support would come and lets be honest, you don't need much to be on par with any SANFL team these days.

Especially with Glenelg still trying to remain relevant.

If the SANFL want to drag some more $$ into their dying competition, they need to engage the power brokers who are willing to pour thousands into Country Football by introducing regional teams to play in the SANFL.

If the SANFL want to drag some more $$ into their dying competition, they need to engage the power brokers who are willing to pour thousands into Country Football by introducing regional teams to play in the SANFL.

As I've mentioned earlier, it's the SOUTH AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL Football League, not the Adelaide Football League.

SA should set an example and introduce regional teams into the "state" league.

As I've mentioned earlier, it's the SOUTH AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL Football League, not the Adelaide Football League.

Natural relegation may occur here before any new teams are introduced or SAAFL Clubs are offered promotion.. seem inevitable eventually.

Glenelg battles $3m debts, might not field a team in 2017

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...7/news-story/7450075307c77da38cd1810419236dd2

Last edited:
As someone who tips a bit of money into my local club I'd have no interest in doing that if my side played in the SANFL.
Some of us love the atmosphere of country footy and the small town rivalry that goes with it. I can get to the game at 8am and watch 6 games of footy whilst having a beer and a BBQ with mates that I played with as a kid at the club. Then you have the 20 odd games of netball going on at the same time which my wife is involved with. Many families have Mother/Father and all kids playing at the club and it's a great family day. Always good catching up with lifelong friends and guys you played against from the opposition. And if you are really lucky you win the flag and the town celebrates for weeks and has bragging rights in the area until cricket season begins

Amateur League sides are not even remotely near the standard of SANFL league teams. SANFL Reserves teams would beat them comfortably.

Very few Amateur League players in SA make it at SANFL level and the better players are often SANFL players who didn't do much.

A club based in Whyalla, drawing on players from the eyre penisuala and port augusta could work imo.

Back