2016 planning, which players would you start with next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Now as many players will lose DPP/non-midfield eligibility next year, players such as Swannie, Dusty, Bont, Dahlhaus, Gray, Hodge, Picken, Tom Mitchell etc I can see being straight mids next year, who from this year has impressed you enough to be on your radar next year.

I'll start with:

Elliott Yeo: if WCE has fit key defenders playing every week he'll play as a big bodied mid. Currently playing as a makeshift key defender hurting his scoring. I believe this is a good thing though for next year, he'll be affordable and should retain def/mid status.

Rory Laird: Laird's concussion games against the Dogs and GWS have dropped his average a little, is a future star however and should average 90+ next season. I reckon he'll be a def/mid next year.

Jack Ziebell: his injury game against Port has lowered his average a little, however, his game is made for DT, great kick to handball ratio, marks, tackles and kicks goals, hopefully he keeps his fwd/mid eligibility I reckon he should, he spends enough time forward a.d his average isn't massive yet.

Mitch Wallis: similar to Ziebell, he had an injury game effecting his average. Wallis has taken his game to a new level this season and regularly goes forward to rest, I believe he'll replace Bont as a mid/fwd next season and it'll be interesting how he goes with Libba in the team, he could be an absolute weapon.

Brett Deledio: if he's fit and firing in preseason he's an absolute lock as a fwd/mid, he might even be a straight fwd next season, wait and see.

More defenders on the radar: who can possibly be relevant in 2016?

Matthew Boyd: absolute lock for def/mid status next season having recently signed a contract extension, could be the next Hodge and go nuts most weeks and be the number 1 defender. Age and durability is the only worry here, but Boyd will score 100s consistently and not having a player of his calibre could be costly. Boyd won't be cheap will be 590-610k averaging 104 this season so far.

Bachar Houli: having a career best DT season this season, averaging 88, he has been ultra consistent in his first 4 seasons averaging 79-85 but has improved on that this year. With Chris Yarran rumoured to potentially head to Richmond, the back tag might come off Houli and go to Yarran, freeing Houli up to accumulate and further boost his numbers. Houli does have an excellent DT game already, but is prone to the odd stinker that he needs to improve upon to cement himself into the top 6 defenders.

Kade Kolodjashnij: After a horrible start to the season where his best score over the first month was only 67 averaging 53, he has turned it around since scoring 80 or above in 12 of his next 16 games and averaging 89.9 in that time. He is an elite talent only being in his 2nd season showing he can be a high possession accumulator off half back/wing. With the Suns gaining some key midfielders back next year from injury, KK should take his game to the next level.

Sam Docherty: he has improved on his year last year averaging a respectable 82, but a notable feature of his game is consistency, he has scored below 70 only 3 times so far this season with 2 games remaining, if he doesn't score above 80 then getting as close to 80 as possible from a down game is a good sign going forward from a premo. Players like Hibberd, Pittard, Suckling and Birchall let themselves down far too often by scoring 80-100 one week then 50-60 the next. One for the future but can he improve to a 90 average next season?

Nick Malceski: if Malceski is fit and firing in preseason, then starting with him next season as a mid-pricer is a no-brainer considering what he is capable of. Every season he has played where he has played every home and away game (4 times in his career), he has averaged at least 82 those years enjoying consistency and durability, currently averaging 66, hopefully he stays under a 70 average and will be under 400k next season.

Taylor Duryea: if Clarkson can leave this kid on the field and stop putting him in the green vest then he could be a unique weapon in your team, has shown he can average well above 80, averaging 87 after round 13, but injury and the green vest has effected his scoring since.

Paul Seedsman: watch this space, if he leaves Collingwood and ends up at say Brisbane if Aish goes to Collingwood, then he'd be someone on the radar due to Brisbane's lack of running defenders. Will be priced in the 300k range and averaged 79 in 2013 showing he can score points.

Jason Johannisen: possibly better suited to Supercoach, but someone to consider going forward, he has an excellent kick to handball ratio, and is someone the Dogs look to get the ball into his hands using his pace streaming forward, probably more comparable to a Chris Yarran, but if JJ can boost his tackle and mark numbers he'll immediately be DT relevant, average of 76.5 this season so far.

Matthew Broadbent: could be Port Adelaide's version of 2015 Heath Shaw next year, he loves racking up the +6s and is an excellent intercept mark and is a major rebounding outlet coming out of Port's backline already. Broadbent has improved on last years output this season improving from a 74 average to a 79 average and I think he has more improvement left in him.

Tom Langdon: similar to Broadbent, he also could take his DT game to a new level, loves the +6s and is already averaging 78 in his 2nd season of AFL, absolute gun of the future and will no doubt be DT relevant sooner than later.

Sam Gilbert: first year back from numerous injuries and is finally enjoying some continuity in his game, he has been unleashed into St Kilda's midfield and is a decent chance at def/mid status being utilised as a big bodied midfielder, the last 5 weeks he has scored 94, 90, 87, 96 and 97, won't be cheap unfortunately as he's played enough games for a discount not to be considered.

Marley Williams: similar to Kolodjashnij, he has vastly improved after a slow start to the season where he only averaged 60 after the first 7 weeks with 3 70s his best return there, but has turned it around since round 8 with a massive 133 against Gold Coast and has averaged 83.9 since from those 12 weeks, the Pies love his rebound and left foot and being Collingwood, they historically are a great DT team.

Jamie MacMillan: Has had some injury issues, but I see him as a vital cog in North's rebound going forward and is already a part of their leadership group, he isn't a huge scorer as yet but he has scored at least 72 in 10 of his 12 games so far including a massive 127, he has had only 2 bad games this year so far and is averaging 77, serious underrated potential here imo.

Michael Johnson: will be a little pricey, but that injury prone 3 he got against Richmond when he tore his hammy has significantly reduced his average from being a 80-85 avg defender and being 450-500k next season, to a 70-75 avg and 400-430k one. With the success of a similar player in Josh Gibson in 2015, could Johnson have one last big scoring season in 2016 before he retires?

Jackson Thurlow: he started the season on fire averaging low 80s, but has tailed off a bit recently with the demands of a long season on him averaging only 68 now, however, with potential retirements to Corey Enright, Andrew Mackie, Jared Rivers and James Kelly, there is a succession plan in process in Geelong's back half and no doubt Thurlow will step into one of Enright's, Kelly's or Mackie's shoes in 2016. He can score points, will extra responsibility help him?

Sam Colquhoun
: My whipping boy that has caused much frustration for me trying to finish my defence off, he knows how to score points but needs some love from his coach/coaches, another preseason in the gym will hopefully get his body right and improve his engine after doing an ACL last season. Good signs for the future though.

Adam Saad: similar to Chris Yarran and Jason Johannisen, Saad looks to be an accomplished Supercoacher of the future with his line breaking, run and carry game style, he has been a revelation this year even though he has tailed off recently, can he translate that to DT going forward?

Zachary Williams
: I'll be honest, I don't know much about him and I don't know if he'll retain his defender status, but since round 12 he has shaken off the green vest and has scored 79, 80, 88, 74, 83, 90 and 73 in his 7 games since highlighting his scoring potential. Not sure how highly rated he is at GWS, but those numbers are very promising and is only averaging 62 so far as a result of his 3 green vests!!!!!!! Watchlist here, potential unknown POD.

Trent McKenzie: Will be cheap as chips next year and needs a move away from Gold Coast as Harbrow, Kolodjashnij and Malceski are way ahead of him, he has an excellent rebounding game and left peg on him if he is allowed to roam free, but he seems to be stuck deep in defence currently taking away his attacking qualities. Keep an eye on him if he does request a move away, I have seen a few murmurings here on Bigfooty.

Jordan Roughead
: Should get that weird defender/ruck status next season, but if he plays as a pure ruckman next year, then he is bound to be a great starting choice then look to upgrade on him with other rookies when they are ready to be culled or he could be moved to a R3 instead, potentially another Bellend (Bellchambers), but as a Dogs fan, I can confidently say we haven't seen the best of him yet and his ruck game is much better than his defensive game as he has scored a few 70s and 80s in this role this year. Would not pick him as a ruckman though, defence only.

The joker in the pack: Brodie Smith
Smith was one of the most popular picked defenders at the start of the season and was expected to go to the next level after his brilliant AA season last year. There is a lot of Matt Suckling about Brodie Smith in his kicking action as he looks to be a taller, faster, right footed version of him, but can he shake off these concussions that no doubt have put a dampened his 2015 season and be a great high risk pick in 2016? The scoring potential is there, just the consistency and durability needs to improve, should be priced in the low 400ks next season with a likely average of 70-73 for the year, currently sitting on 71.3, but if you take out his concussion score of 8 he got against St Kilda, he is averaging 75.2. 12 of his 17 scores have been between 62-84, if he improves his mark and tackle output then that's 75-105 and he is averaging 85-90.

If Lachie Hunter keeps Fwd status with the addition of Mid then he's a lock for me next year. Michael Barlow could well have DPP status added to his position next season, if so he'll be another lock with a full pre-season. Taylor Duryea (as mentioned previously) I think will be a defensive premium next year and beyond, especially if Suckling leaves the Hawks (as rumoured... I'm not sure how strong those rumours are). Pearce Hanley's positional status will be one to monitor. As a mid he's easy to pass over but with DPP he could be a player to pick up.

Just on a couple of your players:

Boyd - Think he'd be a bit too old for me to touch with a starting pick given you'll be paying premium for him (turns 34 next year).

Malceski - It really seems he scores much better when Saad isn't playing. His late season gains were when Saad was out, he dropped off when he returned and then picked up again in the final couple of rounds when he was out again. I assume Saad will be in their future plans so I'm not sure I'll be going near Malceski unless they figure out a way to get them both to work together (from a fantasy perspective).

Smith - Hard to ignore Smith imo. Last round he was on track before being subbed off with the ankle injury, just means he'll be cheaper still heading into next season. Head knocks set him back a bit this year but was starting to get back on track towards the end of the season. Really think you're buying a player that can't get worse and is every chance to rise.

Defenders will depend on how many players they give Mid/Def status I think though. This year there were very few which really meant you could get away with an 80-85 average on the field as a premium, if they decide to open it up a lot more then it might rub off a few names that might otherwise be considered.

potential bargains for next year

ade - otten, crouch
brl - leuenberger
car - thomas
col
ess - myers
fre
gcs - o'meara, ablett
gee - menzel
gws - ahern, pickett
haw
mel - petracca, trengove
nth - wells
pta
ric
stk
syd - johnson
wbd - liberatore
wce - mackenzie, selwood

Malceski - It really seems he scores much better when Saad isn't playing. His late season gains were when Saad was out, he dropped off when he returned and then picked up again in the final couple of rounds when he was out again. I assume Saad will be in their future plans so I'm not sure I'll be going near Malceski unless they figure out a way to get them both to work together (from a fantasy perspective).
Just wondering, have you noticed how putrid McKenzie has been though? His first four seasons he was comfortably a 70-80avg player, now he dropped to low 50s this year. Malceski copped the green vest a few times also when he came back from injury as it was well documented he wasn't at full fitness but GC had to play him anyway as their injury bill was horrible, they key thing to look at is points per minute when Saad and Malceski have played together. Perhaps Saad and KK limited his output, but Harbrow averaged around his normal levels this season of mid 70s. Will be one to watch imo, he has 2 years left on his contract still, Kolodjashnij is the only one to average premium levels out of their rebounders/small defenders, if McKenzie leaves then I'd expect Malceski's scoring to improve.

Boyd will gain def/mid status or just straight defender, I agree he's a risky choice as he has a lot of one week layoffs, but no one scored better than Hodge this year down there when he wasn't sniping everyone getting suspended. I didn't pick Hodge at all this year due to this and the DT winner didn't pick Hodge either this season I believe, but he had one of the best scoring midfields that held him up. Not having Hodge's points (25-30 avg better than my other premos) hurt my season, having solid bench cover would mitigate the negatives in owning Boyd I reckon as his scoring potential is enormous still. Hopefully McVeigh gets DPP again, I'd definitely roll with him next year if he did though, a no brainer.

Liking David Myers as a cheap option

Only played 2 games this year due to injury averaging 36.5

Wonder if they will price him at 36.5 or find middle ground between his 2014 average of 81 to this years 36.5 which would be about 58-59 and low 300ks

Could potentially be a great starting option and someone to hold onto before we upgrade.

Liking David Myers as a cheap option

Only played 2 games this year due to injury averaging 36.5

Wonder if they will price him at 36.5 or find middle ground between his 2014 average of 81 to this years 36.5 which would be about 58-59 and low 300ks

Could potentially be a great starting option and someone to hold onto before we upgrade.
He will either be priced at 36.5 or even cheaper at 28 based on his likely discount

Wont be middle ground between 36 and 81 unless formula/rules drastically changes

I think Mcveigh, Boyd, Hanley should be defenders

Hope the Mundy, KK, Hodge, Newnes, Goddard types are removed from it, at most Hodge should be the only that keeps Defender status.

THE fantasy owners seem to like to have a big known name like Hodge in the backline just so the every day jo's can pick him and know who he is.

Forward will really be weakened id hope.
Expect Goddard, Deledio, Dahlhaus to keep their FWD position. Maybe Barlow as a potential add. Id hope the Adams, Martin, Swan, Titchells are no longer. Gray i think is up for debate probably both.

He will either be priced at 36.5 or even cheaper at 28 based on his likely discount

Wont be middle ground between 36 and 81 unless formula/rules drastically changes
Leuenberger and Kreuzer were full priced on last season's average for this year, this is why I think they will set some sort of precedent with Myers at either his full 36.5avg or find middle ground from his 2014 avg to his 2015 avg which would be high 50s.

A player like Taylor Hunt for etc averaged 63 in 2014 but didn't play a lot of games so he got a discount to be 324k at the start of this season, Kreuzer in comparison averaged only 59 from one game last year and was priced at a full 59 at 333k.

So yeah, dunno how they rate Myers, and premium players like Libba and Ablett and co who didn't play or barely played, if they make them too cheap then everyone will pick them, similar to everyone picking Sandilands at bargain basement price the year before, not sure if it's in Virtual Sports' best interests.

I think Mcveigh, Boyd, Hanley should be defenders
McVeigh and Boyd yes, Hanley no, Hanley is a pure midfielder now

Hope the Mundy, KK, Hodge, Newnes, Goddard types are removed from it, at most Hodge should be the only that keeps Defender status.

THE fantasy owners seem to like to have a big known name like Hodge in the backline just so the every day jo's can pick him and know who he is.
McVeigh and Boyd would provide the big name scorer that Hodge provided previously.

Hodge will be a straight mid, he didn't play much HB at all this season, he played midfield/wing etc and he averaged way too much. When Swannie was on top of his game in 2011-12-13, he played a heap of time resting forward, but never was given forward status as he averaged too much, so was only ever available as a mid, then last year he only averages 93 in a similar role so he was given fwd DPP. The only type of pure half forward flanker/mid that was always given DPP who was a prolific scorer most years was Chappy, but he did play a heap of forward time to earn it even though he busted out plenty of 100+ avg years.

Mundy was never a mid/def in RDT or Supercoach, he got that status in AFL Fantasy midseason to keep that game interesting, with a heap of others also. Out of those other guys you mentioned KK and Newnes should retain defender status, imo they played enough minutes off half back to keep it, though they played a lot of wing also.

Forward will really be weakened id hope.
Expect Goddard, Deledio, Dahlhaus to keep their FWD position. Maybe Barlow as a potential add. Id hope the Adams, Martin, Swan, Titchells are no longer. Gray i think is up for debate probably both.
Dahlhaus should be a straight mid, but Mitch Wallis might replace him as one.

Agree with the rest and I think Gray will be a straight mid next year. Hopefully Ziebell retains DPP, he does go forward regularly, he has a good DT game and would've averaged more if he didn't get KOd against Port early in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leuenberger and Kreuzer were full priced on last season's average for this year, this is why I think they will set some sort of precedent with Myers at either his full 36.5avg or find middle ground from his 2014 avg to his 2015 avg which would be high 50s.

A player like Taylor Hunt for etc averaged 63 in 2014 but didn't play a lot of games so he got a discount to be 324k at the start of this season, Kreuzer in comparison averaged only 59 from one game last year and was priced at a full 59 at 333k.

So yeah, dunno how they rate Myers, and premium players like Libba and Ablett and co who didn't play or barely played, if they make them too cheap then everyone will pick them, similar to everyone picking Sandilands at bargain basement price the year before, not sure if it's in Virtual Sports' best interests.

Leuy was given a discount. Was meant to be priced at 57.6 and was priced at 49 with discount. Which is a %15 discount which is accurate for 5 games. (ie 0 games - 30% disc, 1 game - 27% discount, 2 games - 24% discount ect)

Kreuzer did aswell meant to be priced at 59 was priced at 43. Incurring a 27% discount due to playing just 1 game.

Ohhhhhh im talking AFL Fantasy sorry not RDT. Just more active this thread.

Leuy was given a discount. Was meant to be priced at 57.6 and was priced at 49 with discount. Which is a %15 discount which is accurate for 5 games. (ie 0 games - 30% disc, 1 game - 27% discount, 2 games - 24% discount ect)

Kreuzer did aswell meant to be priced at 59 was priced at 43. Incurring a 27% discount due to playing just 1 game.

Ohhhhhh im talking AFL Fantasy sorry not RDT. Just more active this thread.
Yeah, it's a different strategy this one

Hi guys. I'm new around here. Just wondering if anyone knows when AFL Fantasy returns?

Hi guys. I'm new around here. Just wondering if anyone knows when AFL Fantasy returns?
Not sure mate but I'd assume January sometime.

Follow DTTalk on Facebook or Twitter they would have some idea, but this is Real Dreamteam not AFL Fantasy

So Goddard who kicked 9 goals this year keeps DPP but Gray who kicked 25 goals this year loses it? Rightio then.
Gray played a heck of a lot more time in midfield this year than last year, he kicked like 42-43 goals in 2014, well down this year because his role changed to a prominent, inside, clearance winning mid due to your injuries and Cornes retiring. Ablett is a goalkicking mid but he'll never be a DPP unless he plays 80% forward because he is a prolific fantasy scorer.

Dunno with Goddard FWIW, he normally always gets some sort of DPP though, except for 2014, wait and see

Every year I always aim to go the 2 premium "set and forget" rucks from the start, but always seem to end up starting 1 mid pricer at R2 in favor of an extra premo mid (this year it was spudchambers). I think 2016 will be the first year I actually follow through with my plan and start with Goldy and Stef Martin regardless of price.

Had Goldy from the start last this past season and was easily my MVP but never felt better then when I slotted in Martin next to him over the byes. I want that feeling from the start next season

Every year I always aim to go the 2 premium "set and forget" rucks from the start, but always seem to end up starting 1 mid pricer at R2 in favor of an extra premo mid (this year it was spudchambers). I think 2016 will be the first year I actually follow through with my plan and start with Goldy and Stef Martin regardless of price.

Had Goldy from the start last this past season and was easily my MVP but never felt better then when I slotted in Martin next to him over the byes. I want that feeling from the start next season
Gunna cost a shitload (like 1.3m on just them 2)

Might take one one of them and go with GAWN!!!!!!!!! At R2, he will be a monster

Feel like ruck is an area you're going to burn trades no matter what you do. Remember those going with Cox/Sandi a few years ago for that exact reason for them both to get injured.

I've just come to accept I'll end up wasting ~4 trades on the two positions :p

I always look for value in every position its sort of my theory. However the rucks always come back to bite me.

I pickes Leuy and Z.Smith last year from the start in AFL FANTASY and i was playing catchup after that.

There are some really durable high scoring rucks such as Goldy, Martin, Jacobs ect who you would be pretty confident knowing that you wont need to touch for much of the season.

Ill still be looking for value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back