Toast Welcome aboard Matt Flynn @ Pick 41

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Matthew Flynn (13/09/1997. 200cm, 99kg. Nerrandera/GWS Academy)

Ruck

AFL biography: Developing ruckman who competes aggressively and is athletic. Agile and courageous, he can push forward and be dangerous as a marking forward. Excellent below the knees for a player of his size and shows real potential with his rucking craft at stoppages. Averaged 10.7 possessions and 23.3 hitouts at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Member of GWS Academy.

"He's just a competitive beast. I first saw him playing under-16s and he was like a newborn foal back then, all arms and legs, head wobbling everywhere. His ruck work is second to none, he doesn't even really know what hand he is. He can take a contested mark and he's one of the best kids. He'd be the most competitive big man in the draft, by a long way. We talk about the big guys taking time, but he just wants to crash and bash."

Tadhg Kennelly, NSW-ACT Rams coach

Great get.Not bad when we can snag the best ruck in the draft with our our 4th round pick.Like his highlights . Perfect developing ruckman for us.....No go home factor either:)

Was one I wanted. The drop off between Mummy and our other rucks cost us finals last year. Saw him interviewed at the Combine before I saw his highlights.
He certainly doesn't play like the softly spoken kid he is. Seems very intelligent and obviously still growing into his body but not afraid to get stuck in and crash packs and his tap work is clever.
Mummy will be a great role model for him physically but there is more to him than just a munter. He is a great overhead mark and has a creative side. I can see him filling out his 2m frame with 10kg and being a great pick.

Liked his highlight reel. One great advantage, if you watch closely the bits from the NSW/ACT games, is the number of times he tapped it right down the throat of one Jacob Hopper.:)

Still as raw as sushi, but long term, looks the goods.

Was one I wanted. The drop off between Mummy and our other rucks cost us finals last year. Saw him interviewed at the Combine before I saw his highlights.
He certainly doesn't play like the softly spoken kid he is. Seems very intelligent and obviously still growing into his body but not afraid to get stuck in and crash packs and his tap work is clever.
Mummy will be a great role model for him physically but there is more to him than just a munter. He is a great overhead mark and has a creative side. I can see him filling out his 2m frame with 10kg and being a great pick.

He'll be a big boy and fill out that frame nicely. His old man was a very solid unit and Matty will be too.
Enormous upside to this kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back