Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Averaged 5 tackles a game in the TAC combined with his other elite traits and footy magic and he could play much sooner than expected.

I was worried he didnt have a strong defensive game like most U18's but those tackle numbers are very impressive from a small forward.
I was rapt to find that out as well. :thumbsu:

A massive flop..:rolleyes:
He was a pick six and would struggle to get in to the top 30 of his draft if it was redone, he has barely strung a season together and is one of the least durable players on our list, he has many deficiencies in his game and he was taken before a superstar and future captain in Dyson Heppell. So yeah, massive flop sounds about right to me. As I said he still has a lot to prove and has time on his side but has so far been a disappointment. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

Have you to say he's any good?
That video footage isn't highlights, its every touch he had in those games, both good and bad
Watching a full game to see when he doesn't get the ball isn't much use now is it?
You're just making this up.

here are the stats for his TAC games alone

Game Log
Date
Opposition BST G BHD KE KIE HE HIE HR CM UM MKS TKS FF FA HO
Sat 16/May
Gippsland Power 0 3 2 5 3 1 1 3 0 1 1 9 2 0 0
Sun 31/May Sandringham Dragons 0 0 1 4 2 9 1 4 0 3 3 0 0 0 0
Sat 13/Jun Murray Bushrangers 0 1 1 4 2 4 0 1 0 2 2 8 3 0 0
Sun 12/Jul Geelong Falcons 0 0 1 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 0
Sat 25/Jul Queensland 3 3 4 5 6 4 2 5 1 4 5 8 0 0 0
Sat 1/Aug Eastern Ranges 0 1 0 3 2 5 1 3 0 4 4 6 0 1 0
Sat 29/Aug Oakleigh Chargers 0 1 1 1 7 0 1 0 2 1 3 1 0 1 0
Sat 5/Sep Geelong Falcons 0 4 0 5 1 1 0 2 0 1 1 0 0 0 0
Sat 19/Sep Oakleigh Chargers 0 1 1 1 2 5 3 2 1 0 1 5 1 0 0

There's 14 goals for the season. There aren't even 14 Goals in either highlight's videos, that's not including U/18's champs games. So I'm not sure how you have seen everything you need to see of Dan

Last edited:
He was a pick six and would struggle to get in to the top 30 of his draft if it was redone, he has barely strung a season together and is one of the least durable players on our list, he has many deficiencies in his game and he was taken before a superstar and future captain in Dyson Heppell. So yeah, massive flop sounds about right to me. As I said he still has a lot to prove and has time on his side but has so far been a disappointment. Feel free to convince me otherwise.
If he had played a handful of games and been spat out of the system then yes that would equate to being a massive flop.
Yep he's been cruelled by injuries and if redrafted again he wouldn't be top ten but that does not make one a massive flop.
Poor old JON was a massive flop.
Mitch Thorp at Hawthorn was a massive flop.
Out of Concas draft you could say Lucas Cook was a flop at 12.
And that's just if you get all twisted about what number someone is drafted at.
Personally once they walk through the door they are all the same number to me.
Sorry but it's just starting to really get at me the way things get so overstated to try to make a point.

We really need to stop dissing selections compared to other players we could have taken, its a pointless waste of energy and yes, hindsight is often a bitch.
I think Reece really needs a good season, but 'massive flop' is crazy harsh. He hasnt had much chance to string seasons together but when he did in 2012-13, he was very good and key to our midfield. As long as he's fit we'll get that again. He's also more than capable of kicking goals so him back in the side will make us even more dangerous. Just needs to be given a break.
But yes another average season and he will likely be traded, if anything for a fresh start but also because others will likely have slipped past him in our best 22. As it stands now though he is in our 22, theres no question for me about that.

Daniel played at my local club in our Under 18's in 2014. Don't expect him to play straight away but when he does he will be of value to our forward line. I don't think he will ever tear a game apart stats wise but what you can't gauge at times is the excitement and energy he generates by the possessions and contests he has. I've seen his highlights up close on game day and at training, he just leaves players behind and creates positive play.

Two years ago he was just a talent but without much direction or ambition. In 12 months he has improved out of sight. He realised his potential and just got better and better with each week. He will relish an AFL environment and I'm glad he gets to stay in Victoria because he does like it here. Very humble and polite kid who loves the footy in his hands.

Think of how you feel when Dusty does something magical or Jack takes a hanger. Daniel will do some cool $hit that will make you glad he is with us and not against us.

Can't wait to see the tricks he, Martin, Yazz and Edwards pull out on the field. I think they'll all make each other better.
Wait a minute. I'm not just liking your post, I'm re-posting it.

I'm just picturing this forward line
Martin, Yarran, Edwards, Rioli.

Just stop for a moment and imagine what this looks like
.... and what each can do when the magic starts
.... and what they might do in combination

Four players with X-factor, and let's not forget Riewoldt ... and Deledio playing forward

I think I'll buy 2 memberships this year.

Last edited:
If he had played a handful of games and been spat out of the system then yes that would equate to being a massive flop.
Yep he's been cruelled by injuries and if redrafted again he wouldn't be top ten but that does not make one a massive flop.
Poor old JON was a massive flop.
Mitch Thorp at Hawthorn was a massive flop.
Out of Concas draft you could say Lucas Cook was a flop at 12.
And that's just if you get all twisted about what number someone is drafted at.
Personally once they walk through the door they are all the same number to me.
Sorry but it's just starting to really get at me the way things get so overstated to try to make a point.
If you're satisfied with his output as a pick six so far then I guess you've got lower expectations of players than I do and there's no way we'll ever see eye to eye with this one. I feel as though he has accomplished absolutely nothing at Richmond, has barely fulfilled any of his potential and if he continues struggling on the route that he's on at the moment he will end up being delisted or traded for peanuts in a couple of years time. He would need to have a drastic turnaround for me to change my opinion of him because at the rate he's going he will be at best a fringe player in a couple of years time. Anyway, I've derailed the thread with my comment so let's get back on track with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone on here is screaming out for a premiership.

Club wins premiership.

People on here not happy we let in 4 junk time goals to only win by 40 pts and see it as a bad sign for the future.

If RFC wins the premiership in 2016, there will definitely be people on here who are not satisfied with that.

Reece Conca still has a lot to prove and so far has been a massive flop.

He's had some injuries that have stuffed him around a bit, since that hammy in the 2013 final, but prior to that, he was well on track to fulfilling his potential and becoming an elite player for us.

I won't lie, out of all our recent picks, he's the one on shakiest ground at the moment due to that stagnation since that final, however I think calling him a "massive flop" is going too far the other way with that one.

His best still has him in our Best 10-12 players imo.

If RFC wins the premiership in 2016, there will definitely be people on here who are not satisfied with that.

He's had some injuries that have stuffed him around a bit, since that hammy in the 2013 final, but prior to that, he was well on track to fulfilling his potential and becoming an elite player for us.

I won't lie, out of all our recent picks, he's the one on shakiest ground at the moment due to that stagnation since that final, however I think calling him a "massive flop" is going too far the other way with that one.

His best still has him in our Best 10-12 players imo.
And I think that's going too far, but each to their own. Let's just hope he has a solid preseason and can build on that.

Wait a minute. I'm not just liking your post, I'm re-posting it.

I'm just picturing this forward line
Martin, Yarran, Edwards, Rioli.

Just stop for a moment and imagine what this looks like
.... and what each can do when the magic starts
.... and what they might do in combination

Four players with X-factor, and let's not forget Riewoldt ... and Deledio playing forward

I think I'll buy 2 memberships this year.
noyphh_1_.jpg

Really happy that the club picked Rioli- cmon we went left of Centre and picked up a player that could well develop into a game changer
He is exactly what we need
Has X factor, small forward who in a few seasons could play mid
Daniel ain't a vanilla pick that's for sure
I love it that Daniel has said he is his own player...not a Cyril/Dean/Maurice clone

Welcome to the Tigers Daniel

I rated him as the 35th best player in the draft. Yes we needed speed- But IMO we reached at 12.

No point complaining, I'll back FJ and team in and let's hope he develops into a fine player :thumbsu:
Good on you for having the balls to state your position on him.

I really hope for our sake he doesn't end up the 35th best player in the draft - in statistics alone that number would mean he'd be delisted by the club within a few years.

Have you to say he's any good?
That video footage isn't highlights, its every touch he had in those games, both good and bad
Watching a full game to see when he doesn't get the ball isn't much use now is it?
We picked Jon based on video highlights 10 years ago, I'm going to back the guys who do this for a living and have tracked this kids years out rather then a bloke on bigfooty who has watched a few video highlights.

I have zero evidence to state with any confidence if any of our draftees will be good, bad or indifferent.
I just want them to be really, really extra special good and, as usual, I'll be crossing my fingers and toes and praying to the footy gods.
I'll also give them my full support be they good, bad or indifferent, they're Tigers now.

If you're satisfied with his output as a pick six so far then I guess you've got lower expectations of players than I do and there's no way we'll ever see eye to eye with this one. I feel as though he has accomplished absolutely nothing at Richmond, has barely fulfilled any of his potential and if he continues struggling on the route that he's on at the moment he will end up being delisted or traded for peanuts in a couple of years time. He would need to have a drastic turnaround for me to change my opinion of him because at the rate he's going he will be at best a fringe player in a couple of years time. Anyway, I've derailed the thread with my comment so let's get back on track with it.

Derp. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back