Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess it's all going to be speculation til we see what he can do. One thing I like about this scenario though is you can see that the dogs recruiting team have been absolutely razor sharp in recent years. Their decision to leapfrog us with Bontempelli, their decisive calls on Stringer and Macrae, they also nabbed Dalhaus at some ridulously late pick meaning no other recruiting team was across him that year. They seem very good at what they do. That to me would suggest they were sniffing out this late bloomer around the same time as us. The pies seemed very very certain of the selection and the fact that the cameras were ready to roll at the family home makes it look like we had already calculated he was our best available at 32. That makes me feel pretty content with the pick. I also love the Phillips selection. Other two look less convincing at this stage but that's going by the 3 minute highlight reel, so best of luck to all of them.

Guess it's all going to be speculation til we see what he can do. One thing I like about this scenario though is you can see that the dogs recruiting team have been absolutely razor sharp in recent years. Their decision to leapfrog us with Bontempelli, their decisive calls on Stringer and Macrae, they also nabbed Dalhaus at some ridulously late pick meaning no other recruiting team was across him that year. They seem very good at what they do. That to me would suggest they were sniffing out this late bloomer around the same time as us. The pies seemed very very certain of the selection and the fact that the cameras were ready to roll at the family home makes it look like we had already calculated he was our best available at 32. That makes me feel pretty content with the pick. I also love the Phillips selection. Other two look less convincing at this stage but that's going by the 3 minute highlight reel, so best of luck to all of them.

Say what? How is there a connection that the Bulldogs would have taken him other than you thinking that?

Say what? How is there a connection that the Bulldogs would have taken him other than you thinking that?
He was training with the Dogs in the lead up to the draft and they'd supposedly put in a fair amount of work to him during the year according to a dogs poster who came to our board last night.

Given that the Dogs' final two picks fell before our second, I'd say our recruitment team made an educated guess that the Dogs would grab him before our second. It's a pretty logical explanation as to why we selected such an obscure player with our first rather than getting him later on.

Collingwood

Pick 32 Brayden Sier, 58 Tom Phillips, 63 Rupert Wills, 65 Ben Crocker

Collingwood made the first truly left-field selection, and had Sier ranked inside its top 20 given his clean hands, power off the mark and ability to make things happen. He was exposed just two times at TAC Cup level. Could have tried leaving him there until 58? Maybe, but he was the one they wanted and they were wary of others knocking him off, or of him improving as a 19-year-old next year and becoming much more sought-after. Phillips is a versatile type who does his job without much fuss and Crocker was good value late. He had an up and down season and didn't really progress into the midfield, but knows how to win the ball and kick goals. When he's on, he's on and can dominate parts of games. Throw in Treloar, Aish and Howe, and the Pies have improved their list this off-season.

This is from Emma on The Age website.

Interesting that we rated him inside our top 20.

Brayden won marcellin'so b&f in a premiership year. Had 40 and kicked 4 in the grand final against PEGS. Played senior footy for Banyule as a 17 yo and was dominant. 191 cm with big upside. Competitive beast.
His old man played Melb u19s and reserves , played with him at Kyabram in the Goulburn valley league , his mum is from Kyabram.

Collingwood takes punt on the draft's mystery man Brayden Sier
The Age‎
1448453889213.jpg

With reconnaissance on potential AFL draftees better than ever these days, surprises were short on the ground on Tuesday night in Adelaide.

But there is still the odd case of the bolter and the mystery selection, and that was certainly the case when Collingwood chose 17-year-old Brayden Sier with their first pick at No.32.

Those players called before Sier had names familiar to most draft watchers, with their profiles and highlights reels already well scrutinised. Not only was there none of that for the Marcellin College midfielder, there was not even a picture of him on the AFL's own draft tracker.

Last edited:
It's actually very smart the way Collingwood have gone about this. They've picked up a 17 yr old who has had little exposure who they rate as next year becoming a top pick. Considering we don't have a first rounder next year they've chosen to punt on him now and let the development coaches take him on his next journey. It's a very good way to look ahead and with future trading I'm sure there will be more of this from now on. All the good signs are there and he's got all the tools to become a very good player.

Agree, but it was Paine, Gault and Witts. IMO, that's our worst draft hall under Hine alongside 07.
Doesn't matter whether it's draft or rookie draft. To get 3 best 22 players in a draft year is a very good result. I think we r already ahead picking up Treloar and Aish.

Gibbs is a sheepdog. Fits right in at Carlton. Won't be difficult.
Now there's an expression I haven't seen for a while, (probably since the Craig Bradley days)

Hey popin if you want a name for him other than bear.
Ted is my suggestion.
Who gives a crap what plopin wants to call him? Bear is so forced, why not let one develop naturally? This board has become a self licking ice cream, soon we'll have Mike starting a thread congratulating popin for coming up with another forced and slightly embarrassing name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a crap what plopin wants to call him? Bear is so forced, why not let one develop naturally? This board has become a self licking ice cream, soon we'll have Mike starting a thread congratulating popin for coming up with another forced and slightly embarrassing name.
Bear is his current nickname, not something we bestowed upon him.
I agree with the general theme of your post though.

Popin didn't come up with The Bear. It's his nickname that he was given by his teammates. Tbh, I don't think it sounds forced at all, suits the kid perfectly given his size for his age.

Hey popin if you want a name for him other than bear.
Ted is my suggestion.
I like ya name Anzacday
jun122015-1367_612x380.jpg

Poor little man aww, I'll get you a milk bot to relax to help get over me ok:) #jealous #kiss&ahugfromplopin
unique%20bad%20ted%20pillow%20cases%20-%20unique%20ted%202%20pillow%20covers-f28011.jpg
TEDxDonauinsel_Ted-Bear-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

What flavour ice-cream?

Liked, just for the 'self-licking icecream' part.

i just want to call him a good player.

(He will have to earn his way)

The real question is whether we will see 35 in the seniors next year.

He has the physical size to play seniors but obviously seems like a project type guy who could start slow before bursting out later

Witts was an academy player. We had him prior to the draft.
Williams was a rookie selection.
Yes we did trade in Elliott who has been awesome but when you look at the rest of the names....Paine, Stubbs etc it was a shocker.
Seems like shifting goalposts, or at the very least extremely narrow goalposts. If you limit it to 'draft picks used in the national draft that weren't academy players' then sure, it was a weak draft. But that draft position was compromised, not least because we played in the grand final, but because we traded out our first round pick for Elliott and Clarke. Not sure why rookie selections and academy players don't count but in any case there wasn't a huge amount of quality taken at or after pick 50 but before academy and rookie selections anyway - Tory Dickson or Lachie Neale maybe.

It's actually very smart the way Collingwood have gone about this. They've picked up a 17 yr old who has had little exposure who they rate as next year becoming a top pick. Considering we don't have a first rounder next year they've chosen to punt on him now and let the development coaches take him on his next journey. It's a very good way to look ahead and with future trading I'm sure there will be more of this from now on. All the good signs are there and he's got all the tools to become a very good player.
Yep, I heard this same scenario from someone else who really understands drafting
Effectively we got a 2016 top 15 pick (or possibly even higher depending on development) in 2015 for pick 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back