Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are the sight screens at Adelaide Oval so huge.

they look ugly.
So we don't get a WACA-esque 17-minute delay in play.
So that there's one less reason to not get 90 overs done in 6 hours.
We have the best sight-screens in the country, maybe the world. Removable so the space can be used for other events, big enough nothing needs to be moved during the game. Just make sure there's no shiny bolt on the side of the advertising screen if Stuart Broad is batting :p

CUs2lsfUAAAxwgi.jpg

Digital advertising placed in front of built-in digital advertising :thumbsdown:
SMA should put digital along the western fence or what's the point of having it built-in.
Will be interesting to see what happens at the MCG where they already have it 360 except in front of the interchange.

CUs2lsfUAAAxwgi.jpg

Digital advertising placed in front of built-in digital advertising :thumbsdown:
SMA should put digital along the western fence or what's the point of having it built-in.
Will be interesting to see what happens at the MCG where they already have it 360 except in front of the interchange.

Dumb dumb dumb by CA. Why waste the inbuilt LED screens.

How good did our amazing stadium look today/tonight.

47,441 fans inside the house.

Second biggest crowd ever for a day of test cricket at Adelaide Oval

With obviously so many people out the back, what is the true capacity for test cricket at the oval, 60,000?

There was easily 10,000 empty seats in the Eastern stand from what I could see on TV.

Another record breaking year for Adelaide Oval since the redevelopment -

Jan 2015 52,633 Strikers BBL Semi Final

(Biggest ever cricket attendance at AO, all time Australian domestic cricket attendance)

19 July Showdown 39 - 54,468 Crows d Port

(Biggest AFL Attendance ever in Sth Aust)

20 July - Liverpool FC d Adel Utd 53,008

(Biggest ever Soccer attendance in SA)

Rd22 August Crows d West Coast 53,445

(Crows All Time Home crowd record)

27 Nov - Day 1 3rd Test Aus vs NZ 47,441

(2nd biggest Test cricket attendance all time at Adelaide Oval)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stands are way too big to not be a unified bowl shape, so they look bizarre and like they're about to topple over.

The old ground was an absolutely classic, quaint, beaut of a thing that was probably the most 'Aussie' looking stadium in the country. It's just been desecrated. Sure, the facilities are supreme and it's in the middle of the city, but there's plenty of arenas in the world with that. And every new stadium should be world-class in its amenities. It's no unique feat to get what it has for its price. But if you transported the entire ground to another city in Australia, or the world, people wouldn't really care about it that much.

Basically it's not that interesting and it's taken the place of somewhere very interesting.

The stands are way too big to not be a unified bowl shape, so they look bizarre and like they're about to topple over.

The old ground was an absolutely classic, quaint, beaut of a thing that was probably the most 'Aussie' looking stadium in the country. It's just been desecrated. Sure, the facilities are supreme and it's in the middle of the city, but there's plenty of arenas in the world with that. And every new stadium should be world-class in its amenities. It's no unique feat to get what it has for its price. But if you transported the entire ground to another city in Australia, or the world, people wouldn't really care about it that much.

Basically it's not that interesting and it's taken the place of somewhere very interesting.
The problem with the old ground was the facilities did not lend themselves to be upgraded to keep up with modern stadium requirements, so in 10 years time (or less) the problem would be that it's a derelict old waste of space being kept purely because "if we change it it will be desecrated". There would have been a new stadium built, AFL and most cricket would have moved there, people would have been decrying the demise of the WACA...oh wait I mean Adelaide Oval :p

People have a warped perception of how good the old ground was.

People have a warped perception of how good the old ground was.
Yep I loved having to piss against a painted brick wall in the men's room under the western stand.
Don't get me wrong I loved the old ground but I also want to enjoy cricket at the same place for the rest of my life :)

Gotta love South Aussies getting sensitive about this and resorting to strawmen attacks.

And who still subscribes to this stately parochial s**t?

Why are the sight screens at Adelaide Oval so huge.

they look ugly.
Sachin Tendulkar had a whinge about 4 or 5 years ago and then Indians reacted to what he said at home, and then demanded the same when they traveled, and now its pretty standard around the world.

Last edited:
How good did our amazing stadium look today/tonight.

47,441 fans inside the house.

Second biggest crowd ever for a day of test cricket at Adelaide Oval

With obviously so many people out the back, what is the true capacity for test cricket at the oval, 60,000?

There was easily 10,000 empty seats in the Eastern stand from what I could see on TV.

AC/DC had 53,000, I reckon they easily, even taking in to account the closed stands and hill behind the stage, could've fit an extra 5k, maybe 10, bringing it to close to 65k capacity for concerts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back