Toast Fremantle's 2nd pick: Harley Balic

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just insulted by how lowball the offer was.

It's gunna take at least 6 figures to pry anyone away from Freo Mr Balic.

AFL rules - they get a 20% discount for the time & effort in developing him to date.

Very unlike me but just getting back on topic - listening to the 'Road to the Draft' podcast ...wow they rated Balic very highly.

Reading the Hun article doesn't leave too much to the imagination.
I was mainly referring to what his initial reaction was like.

Maybe I worded it wrong but I can't see where I made out like he threw all his toys out the cot.

You said that he reacted like he inherited a paddock full of Paterson's curse. Pretty similar metaphor to throwing all his toys out of the cot.

His initial reaction was relief. Because he thought he was going to get picked in the top 20s and the waiting was unbearable. Then he had a few moment's shock at moving to Perth when in his mind, that wasn't on the cards (first 20 picks).
Maybe you should read the article again.

You said that he reacted like he inherited a paddock full of Paterson's curse. Pretty similar metaphor to throwing all his toys out of the cot.

His initial reaction was relief. Because he thought he was going to get picked in the top 20s and the waiting was unbearable. Then he had a few moment's shock at moving to Perth when in his mind, that wasn't on the cards (first 20 picks).
Maybe you should read the article again.
Callum Twomey had Balic at this number five months ago:
AM-3603-Phantom-Form-Guide8.jpg

So his family could rightfully be feeling like something was very wrong when he hadn't been drafted almost 30 picks later.

Knowing how footy clubs work he will be welcomed to the club and have thenpiss taken out of him a bit, maybe a new nickname given to him and it will be interesting to see if we can hang on to him. Only weeks ago people were telling us we will lose Weller, we have a great retention rate of late and once Harley is in the system and his parents are shown around in sure things will be fine.

Callum Twomey had Balic at this number five months ago:
AM-3603-Phantom-Form-Guide8.jpg

So his family could rightfully be feeling like something was very wrong when he hadn't been drafted almost 30 picks later.
Yes I am sure it would have been a stressful day. I also suspect that a few Melbourne clubs had indicated interest, and seeing them pass on him would have been confusing. But when the dust has settled the kid just got an opportunity at a decent club. Not bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh ffs, would you all stop, I can't even remember how to say his last name properly now!!

And good to hear him respond. (Oops, maybe he does read BF!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back