A Section Premier 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of more interest to me in the makeup of the Old Carey team, I'd be suprised if more than 30% attended Carey Grammar.

Way out Briza. They are almost the opposite to what you think.
A few ring ins like Freemantle, Cust, Crozier, Rice, Bongetti...but I'd say 80% of there 80 players are ex school. That's the problem the school pool is tiny. They need to be recruiting from outside.

Not sure why my post is inside your post above. Weird.
OC37 beat me to it. Didn't read that.

Not sure why my post is inside your post above. Weird.
OC37 beat me to it. Didn't read that.

A lot of comment about where clubs recruits come from but really who cares. I don't think there would be a Prem A club that would knock back talking to a gun recruit because he is not an old boy of their associated college/school. Xavs have been topping up for years despite their talent pool coming out of the school. Reality is those that work hard at recruiting will land the odd fish regardless of where they come from and good luck to them.

A lot of comment about where clubs recruits come from but really who cares. I don't think there would be a Prem A club that would knock back talking to a gun recruit because he is not an old boy of their associated college/school. Xavs have been topping up for years despite their talent pool coming out of the school. Reality is those that work hard at recruiting will land the odd fish regardless of where they come from and good luck to them.

I don’t think anyone really cares, although incessant (and often false) claims of being entirely home grown get somewhat tedious.

It’s just that the points system has changed the landscape, even for VAFA clubs. One at least would appear to have some challenges if all or even some of the rumoured arrivals eventuate.

5 of 22 of the final round team were from outside the school; 7 of the 45 odd who played senior football during the year. Need to check your maths there Brian. For a school that has about 1/4 the number of male year 12 students as some other Premier A and B clubs, i'd say that is a fair effort

With the very shallow pool of players Carey have to draw from they deserve a lot of credit for spending 4 of the last 5 years in A grade. Much bigger and better resourced all-boys schools have wallowed in lower grades so I dip my lid to them.

However they might find things tough next year. On the back of other key departures I have heard that Cam Howitt is off to Vermont. OC can you confirm?

I have friends at Carey.
Howat def gone. Rowe, Bongetti, Murrie, Freemantle also gone.
Mcq-Mis not coming back.
I think Cust comes back. Reid back from knee.
If they keep...Sloan, Crozier, Evans, Jones, Smithwick, Rice, Rimmington they will not be totally hopeless. But they will need some of their youngsters and unders to step up if they are not landing recruits like Xavs and SKOBS are.
Ressies 0-18 last year so not much pushing up. I agree they have been great since B Grade flag in 2010. 4 years in A, about to become 5 in that time. But I would have them 50/50 at very best to be playing A in 2017.
Long term, I don't know how they compete. They are tiny at AFL at school. So few boys competing with Soccer and rugby and more.
I think they had no year 11 team (under 16 or 17) at all 2 years ago due to no numbers.

With the very shallow pool of players Carey have to draw from they deserve a lot of credit for spending 4 of the last 5 years in A grade. Much bigger and better resourced all-boys schools have wallowed in lower grades so I dip my lid to them.

However they might find things tough next year. On the back of other key departures I have heard that Cam Howitt is off to Vermont. OC can you confirm?
Howse to Vermont? Hadn't heard that - had heard he was having a year off. Believable mail though given Cochrane coached carey

Howse to Vermont? Hadn't heard that - had heard he was having a year off. Believable mail though given Cochrane coached carey

I’m told it’s a done deal however I’m not involved in either club so would suggest still just rumour until confirmed by OC or Vermont.

SKOBs or OX are not missing many. Might yet end up at one of those clubs!

I’m told it’s a done deal however I’m not involved in either club so would suggest still just rumour until confirmed by OC or Vermont.

SKOBs or OX are not missing many. Might yet end up at one of those clubs!

I think he told Carey he may have a year off to soften the blow. But he will play for coin. Don't blame him, he will be able to grab a fair amount and he has done his loyal time at Carey. Helped them get to where they are now. Will be sadly missed, but a young gun on a primary school teachers wage....hard to knock it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he told Carey he may have a year off to soften the blow. But he will play for coin. Don't blame him, he will be able to grab a fair amount and he has done his loyal time at Carey. Helped them get to where they are now. Will be sadly missed, but a young gun on a primary school teachers wage....hard to knock it back.

FWIW judging by that photo on the VAFA web, Carey are getting early strong numbers, a positive sign for a team already earmarked for the drop.....

FWIW judging by that photo on the VAFA web, Carey are getting early strong numbers, a positive sign for a team already earmarked for the drop.....
I think you might find that the photo you refer to is of the Mazenod variety in Premier C.

See Howat has def gone to play under Cochrane again at Vermont.
A little departing Birdie tells me that they had to up last years offer to 2k a game and 3k a final. Almost got him the year before for 1.5k a game. Good money in EFL.
Will he do a Gossy and be back at Carey for 2017 with a pocket 30k heavier? Money well spent?

Please. SKOBS have been absolutely smashed at the $1.90 i offered. In to $1.65 and they are still coming for them.
OM's will stink it up. With Carey and Wesley.
Unlikely that OMs will stink it up !! Recruiting looking very good. Leave it to official announcements but OMs will be very competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back