Australia is a nation of White Privilege

Remove this Banner Ad

apparentlydead

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2015
Joh Country
AFL Club
GWS
I'm not 'offended' - I just see the opportunity to use more inclusive language, and treat people as individuals and not simply as skin shades.

You're trying to change language which is acceptable for both 'sides', (for want of a better term but it fits the thread), simply because YOU feel that it is somehow racist.

What?

Blackfellas deliberately label themselves as such, (try watching some NITV), and in no way do they do so with a tinge of regret, bullying or because some 'gudiya' told them so. It's a label of great pride to them. They embrace their 'blackness' but people like you want to homogenise the world so we can all feel better somehow.

No white bloke that I know, (unless it is some latte sipping city bred idiot), has ever been offended by being called a white fella. Ever.

There's a million and one ways to make the world a more inclusive place. Trying to force a change in the way people speak, (which is already readily accepted by by all), is not one of them.

Last edited:

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
You're trying to change language which is acceptable for both 'sides', (for want of a better term but it fits the thread), simply because YOU feel that it is somehow racist.

What?

Blackfellas deliberately label themselves as such, (try watching some NITV), and in no way do they do so with a tinge of regret, bullying or because some 'gudiya' told them so. It's a label of great pride to them. They embrace their 'blackness' but people like you want to homogenise the world so we can all fell better somehow.

No white bloke that I know, (unless it is some latte sipping city bred idiot), has ever been offended by being called a white fella. Ever.

There's a million and one ways to make the world a more inclusive place. Trying to force a change in the way people speak, (which is already readily accepted by by all), is not one of them.
I begrudgingly have to agree with this! :(

When you use the term "white" do you even understand the scope it covers? It seems the people who use it the most have a very limited view of what people "white" actually covers.
Lets see, my white skin is useful when I go to a bank for a loan, the way I dress, speak or eat, the amount of alcohol I consume, the offences that I may commit and the sentence I recieve, job interviews/promotions, getting served in shops.

Just a few things at the top of my head. What is your understanding of what it covers?

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool

What?

Blackfellas deliberately label themselves as such, (try watching some NITV), and in no way do they do so with a tinge of regret, bullying or because some 'gudiya' told them so. It's a label of great pride to them. They embrace their 'blackness' but people like you want to homogenise the world so we can all feel better somehow.

This is what people don't understand about racism and the way that 'PC' language was initially about. It's just a way that people can come together to form a common language without insulting people. Does anyone feel offended by being called whitey? Anyone, anyone, Bueller? Do Indigenous people take pride in the term blackfella? Yes. This is community driven change.

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Do you want them to grow up with a chip on their shoulder blaming everyone else (whities) for their "perceived" disadvantage or do you want them to carve out the best life they can?

Why would you put perceived in scare quotes? Do you think that every single ABS report on Indigenous disadvantage since it's inception has been misreporting? A bit like your views on climate change?

When you use the term "white" do you even understand the scope it covers? It seems the people who use it the most have a very limited view of what people "white" actually covers.
I gave you my understanding, still waiting for yours.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
This is what people don't understand about racism and the way that 'PC' language was initially about. It's just a way that people can come together to form a common language without insulting people. Does anyone feel offended by being called whitey? Anyone, anyone, Bueller? Do Indigenous people take pride in the term blackfella? Yes. This is community driven change.
So if someone finds whitey offensive then it is indeed racist?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
So if someone finds whitey offensive then it is indeed racist?

That is indeed, how it's meant to work. However bear in mind that traditionally activists have had to justify it and explain why it's an offensive term, how it affects them, the context, the history of the discrimination of the group and bring the community with them. Recently it's been more of a free for all in just, I'm offended so you can't.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
There it is, yet again.

Do you find the term offensive?

If so, why?
I dont. There are many, many things i dont find offensive but others do. I also rarely find words outright offensive like most, its about the intent and message coming from whoever said it.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
That is indeed, how it's meant to work. However bear in mind that traditionally activists have had to justify it and explain why it's an offensive term, how it affects them, the context, the history of the discrimination of the group and bring the community with them. Recently it's been more of a free for all in just, I'm offended so you can't.
That's pretty much how Boo-gate went down :thumbsu:

apparentlydead

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2015
Joh Country
AFL Club
GWS
I dont. There are many, many things i dont find offensive but others do. I also rarely find words outright offensive like most, its about the intent and message coming from whoever said it.

I love how a sheltered white boy like you feels that he is the font of all knowledge on what others may find offensive.

You've even gone to the extent of trying to bullshit BF that you deliberately use terms to inflame.

That, without doubt, makes you a tool.

smokingjacket

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
That's pretty much how Boo-gate went down :thumbsu:

Depending on whether you're in the group of people who think it's appropriate to call an indigenous man an ape.

I don't think Adam Goodes could have done much more in trying to educate the Australian populace in how he found it offensive and so on. Likewise the strong reactions from many in the football community in support of Adam Goodes showed that there was a community coming together to stamp out that insidious disgrace but in the end the dark forces booed him out. A disgrace to the game IMO that will take some fixing.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Depending on whether you're in the group of people who think it's appropriate to call an indigenous man an ape.

I don't think Adam Goodes could have done much more in trying to educate the Australian populace in how he found it offensive and so on. Likewise the strong reactions from many in the football community in support of Adam Goodes showed that there was a community coming together to stamp out that insidious disgrace but in the end the dark forces booed him out. A disgrace to the game IMO that will take some fixing.
I disagree, I don't think Goodes handled it well at all - e.g. hiding and saying nothing when his boss decided to proclaim that everyone who boos Goodes is a racist :drunk:

apparentlydead

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2015
Joh Country
AFL Club
GWS
I agree , He set a terrible example reverting to victim hood despite having everyone's respect and admiration beforehand. Showed every young-un in the country that it doesn't matter how successful you are you are still a victim.

I can't see how it is victim hood on his behalf.

He merely showed that, despite his success and profile, there is still an element of society who felt the need to vilify him because of his skin colour. No-one has ever said that you can't boo, but any reasonable observation would come to the conclusion that what he was copping was way over the top and specifically coming from a root cause of racist intent.

The only victim hood on display was the poor 'white' people who got offended because their booing showed them up for what they were, so they complained endlessly about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back